The Education Forum

NYT Gaeton Fonzi Obit: Something Different?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/us/gaeton-fonzi-76-investigated-kennedy-assassination.html

This article seems new and different, when compared to other NYT articles about the JFK assassination.

IMO this should be posted everywhere and LINKED TO THE AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK.

There exist large groups of youngish people for whom a Times article like this could be a bridge over the moat. We should use it.

http://www.nytimes.c...assination.html

This article seems new and different, when compared to other NYT articles about the JFK assassination.

There exist large groups of youngish people for whom a Times article like this could be a bridge over the moat. We should use it.

I agree. From what I understand it was not in all published editions of the paper.

Jim Lesar noted: (at first it was only in the on-line edition) "the print version of Gaeton Fonzi's obituary which finally appeared here in the Washington, D.C. area on September 13, 2012 (today). According to a recorded message from the New York times in response to my inquiry insisting it should appear in print, I was advised at 8:26 A.M. that it was printed in the "late edition" of the paper on August 13th (today).

http://www.nytimes.c...assination.html

I agree and have added it to my page on Gaeton Fonzi. I am still number one at Google for "Gaeton Fonzi" (Wikipedia have never bothered to do a page on him).

http://www.spartacus...uk/JFKfonzi.htm

Paul Vitello is a respected writer and appears on the Pulitzer Prize website.

http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/6078

I am a member of the email group of JFK researchers set up by Peter Dale Scott. This obituary really upset John McAdams and he sent out an unpleasant email about Fonzi. This has resulted in a series of interesting emails defending Fonzi by people like Tony Summers, David Lifton, David Kaiser, David Talbot, Rex Bradford, Jim Lesar, Paul Hoch, Jerry Policoff and Jeff Morley.

I am a member of the email group of JFK researchers set up by Peter Dale Scott. This obituary really upset John McAdams and he sent out an unpleasant email about Fonzi. This has resulted in a series of interesting emails defending Fonzi by people like Tony Summers, David Lifton, David Kaiser, David Talbot, Rex Bradford, Jim Lesar, Paul Hoch, Jerry Policoff and Jeff Morley.

John, I remember your post from two years ago. I'm sure I am not the only member that is glad to see you posting here with a little more regularity.

http://educationforu...=45#entry207416

Guest Robert Morrow

I called the NYT yesterday and the son of one of Gaeton Fonzi's coworkers on the HSCA works there (at NYT) and went to his bosses and said you really need to do an obituary on Gaeton Fonzi and they did.

That is what Paul Vitello told me and we had a nice conversation.

Guest Tom Scully

McAdams is such a pig. To send out an "unpleasant email" about someone on the event of that person's death is so disgusting.

I have not read your posted reaction to this, are you familiar with this supposedly "immediately pulled", NY Post "editorial"? :

An eye opening time, the latter half of July, 1999. I don't believe Heymann's claim of being an actual agent of Mossad. I don't accept the official government claims, or Heymann's "notes" about JFK, Jr. and the events related to the disappearance of JFK, Jr.'s Piper Saratoga. I think Lisa pulled her punches in her related CTKA piece. I think this thread is as good a place as any for this curious collection and I hope more is not read into it.

http://www.nypost.co...nlkhLqmH3eCpNcI

A CONVERSATION IN HELL

John Podhoretz

Last Updated:

Posted: 12:00 AM, July 21, 1999

"You got everything you wanted. But when I make a deal for a soul like yours, I need to season it before I'm ready to put it in the infernal oven."

JOE! Joe Kennedy! Come on in. Nice to see you. Are you enjoying the air conditioning? I know it gets pretty hot out there.

Where are you these days, in the eighth circle or the ninth? Kind of a tough choice where you're concerned. After all, the eighth circle is for the fraudulent and the ninth for the treacherous. You sure were fraudulent when you had Mayor Daley fix the 1960 presidential election for your son Jack, weren't you? And you were pretty treacherous most of your life, what with your compulsive philandering and double-dealing. ......

..... I said I'd make Jack president. I didn't say he'd finish out his term. And I didn't say you'd get another. That was your mistake, trying again with Bobby. That was a violation of the contract. You only got one.

And you didn't listen, you just wouldn't listen, you were still intent on the idea that Teddy might do it - Teddy, the least of your boys. But I have news for you. That Chappaquiddick business? He called on me to save him from a manslaughter charge. He'll be keeping you company when his time is up.

Your time was up, wasn't it, after Chappaquiddick. You died a few months later, came down here. But you know what? Your soul just wasn't done yet. You were still a little too tough.

So every time you think the deal is done, every time you think your family is on its way back to glory, I just have to do something. Like I did this weekend, with your grandson John.

You understand, don't you, Joe? It's because I'm hungry. And when I'm hungry, Joe, the ends justify the means. See why we're so alike?

Yes. Oh, yes. I think you're ready now.

McAdams and his ilk, boosters of the most extreme American party wing, demonize / scapegoat the poorest, least powerful and are committed in their rhetoric to deny women access to legal, clinically safe abortion. The body count of innocent foreigners resulting from the policies of the two branches of the one right wing, American political party is high enough, just since 2001, to be reasonably described as countless, immense. Almost all elected federal congressional and executive branch office holders are committed to passage of laws such as NDAA and the five year extension of the gutting of FISA "protections". None of our elected federal office holders who depend on campaign contributions and retirement careers as lobbyists have ever met a large corporation chief or a high net worth individual they show any eagerness to move against politically, as they all did in lockstep against ACORN in reaction to a faked video trailer.

I hardly think McAdams's letter to the NY Times in objection to its Fonzi obituary details is much to be concerned about.

He is a homophobic, anti-women, anti bill of rights, American exceptionalist extremist right wing freak. It is his deliberate lack of humanity that makes him an awful human being, his letter writing is a tiny symptom of his illness.

Edited by Tom Scully

The book The Last Investigation by Fonzi has been btw. 2,000 and 3,000 for four days in a row starting two days after the publication of the NYT obit. Now there has not been a real book (as opposed to useful taste-spoon book such as Dead wrong) this high in sales since Unspeakable left that realm after staying there for three whole years in a row, AND A WHOLE YEAR OF THAT BEFORE THE OLIVER STONE FLASHING ON BILL MEHER SHOW)

Please, if possible do the following. Post YOUR FAVORITE PARAGRAPHS ON THIS THREAD FOR COPY AND PASTING ON OTHER SITES. THE COPY AND PASTING CAN BE DONE WITH A LEAD BLOCK PLACED BY THE NYT ARTICLE. ________ I HOPE TO PLACE A PARAGRAPH HERE SOON ALONG WITH SOME EXAMPLES OF GOOD places to place it. I have Done about 70 postings of the Fonzi article with amazon link. You might want to include the Amazon link too.

On the other hand, most of these posting I have done over the last two days have been into FB groups. This is because I have been removed from big newspaper groups or in some cases have not had the time to dig up those connections again. THe FB groups do not reach nearly the huge numbers some of the big newspaper sites do.

We need to start building footholds all over the internet and connecting these back to the hubs . Spindles must be in place by the beginning of the year.

Guest Robert Morrow

McAdams is such a pig. To send out an "unpleasant email" about someone on the event of that person's death is so disgusting.

I have not read your posted reaction to this, are you familiar with this supposedly "immediately pulled", NY Post "editorial"? :

An eye opening time, the latter half of July, 1999. I don't believe Heymann's claim of being an actual agent of Mossad. I don't accept the official government claims, or Heymann's "notes" about JFK, Jr. and the events related to the disappearance of JFK, Jr.'s Piper Saratoga. I think Lisa pulled her punches in her related CTKA piece. I think this thread is as good a place as any for this curious collection and I hope more is not read into it.

http://www.nypost.co...nlkhLqmH3eCpNcI

A CONVERSATION IN HELL

John Podhoretz

Last Updated:

Posted: 12:00 AM, July 21, 1999

"You got everything you wanted. But when I make a deal for a soul like yours, I need to season it before I'm ready to put it in the infernal oven."

JOE! Joe Kennedy! Come on in. Nice to see you. Are you enjoying the air conditioning? I know it gets pretty hot out there.

Where are you these days, in the eighth circle or the ninth? Kind of a tough choice where you're concerned. After all, the eighth circle is for the fraudulent and the ninth for the treacherous. You sure were fraudulent when you had Mayor Daley fix the 1960 presidential election for your son Jack, weren't you? And you were pretty treacherous most of your life, what with your compulsive philandering and double-dealing. ......

..... I said I'd make Jack president. I didn't say he'd finish out his term. And I didn't say you'd get another. That was your mistake, trying again with Bobby. That was a violation of the contract. You only got one.

And you didn't listen, you just wouldn't listen, you were still intent on the idea that Teddy might do it - Teddy, the least of your boys. But I have news for you. That Chappaquiddick business? He called on me to save him from a manslaughter charge. He'll be keeping you company when his time is up.

Your time was up, wasn't it, after Chappaquiddick. You died a few months later, came down here. But you know what? Your soul just wasn't done yet. You were still a little too tough.

So every time you think the deal is done, every time you think your family is on its way back to glory, I just have to do something. Like I did this weekend, with your grandson John.

You understand, don't you, Joe? It's because I'm hungry. And when I'm hungry, Joe, the ends justify the means. See why we're so alike?

Yes. Oh, yes. I think you're ready now.

McAdams and his ilk, boosters of the most extreme American party wing, demonize / scapegoat the poorest, least powerful and are committed in their rhetoric to deny women access to legal, clinically safe abortion. The body count of innocent foreigners resulting from the policies of the two branches of the one right wing, American political party is high enough, just since 2001, to be reasonably described as countless, immense. Almost all elected federal congressional and executive branch office holders are committed to passage of laws such as NDAA and the five year extension of the gutting of FISA"protections". None of our elected federal office holders who depend on campaign contributions and retirement careers as lobbyists have ever met a large corporation chief or a high net worth individual they show any eagerness to move against politically, as they all did in lockstep against ACORN in reaction to a faked video trailer.

I hardly think McAdams's letter to the NY Times in objection to its Fonzi obituary details is much to be concerned about.

He is a homophobic, anti-women, anti bill of rights, American exceptionalist extremist right wing freak. It is his deliberate lack of humanity that makes him an awful human being, his letter writing is a tiny symptom of his illness.

Oh, Tom Scully, clucking your tongue again. McAdams may indeed be all that, but you are an intolerant liberal fascist.

Guest Tom Scully

McAdams and his ilk, boosters of the most extreme American party wing, demonize / scapegoat the poorest, least powerful and are committed in their rhetoric to deny women access to legal, clinically safe abortion. The body count of innocent foreigners resulting from the policies of the two branches of the one right wing, American political party is high enough, just since 2001, to be reasonably described as countless, immense. Almost all elected federal congressional and executive branch office holders are committed to passage of laws such as NDAA and the five year extension of the gutting of FISA"protections". None of our elected federal office holders who depend on campaign contributions and retirement careers as lobbyists have ever met a large corporation chief or a high net worth individual they show any eagerness to move against politically, as they all did in lockstep against ACORN in reaction to a faked video trailer.

Oh, Tom Scully, clucking your tongue again. McAdams may indeed be all that, but you are an intolerant liberal fascist.

It isn't all right, Robert. Perhaps if enough people objected strongly, it would be less likely that people such as yourself and McAdams would talk and act so despicably.

I object strongly to scapegoating and demonizing those who have done nothing to deserve it. I am against prejudice and homophobia. I do not accept that my strong objection to these politically motivated attacks on ordinary people are intolerant except for showing intolerance of the extremely intolerant. I have a heart, and little tolerance for those who should know better but choose not to act as if they do. I am empathetic and fair, Robert. Are you? Is McAdams?

http://web.archive.o...ives/000830.php

Morrowflyer1.jpg

http://mu-warrior.bl...yan-budget.html John McAdams Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States Thursday, May 24, 2012 Marquette Campus Leftists Attack Paul Ryan Budget

... In spite of the use of the language of Catholic social justice teaching, the impetus behind the letter was merely your standard liberal-let politics.

Although there were some exceptions (one person whose name was on the letter opposed the hiring of lesbian dean candidate Jodi O’Brien, and was attacked for it) the list of signers is laced with people who oppose Catholic teaching on abortion, oppose Catholic teaching on homosexuality, favor gay marriage, and only use the phrase “social justice” to promote a liberal political agenda.

One piece of evidence of this can be seen by comparing the list of people who signed the letter attacking Ryan with a letter signed by dozens of Marquette faculty in the wake of the refusal of Marquette to hire an outspoken lesbian (and opponent of Church teaching) as Dean of Arts and Sciences. Signing this letter were twenty of the same people who signed the anti-Ryan letter.

Indeed, the anti-Ryan letter was signed by faculty who are at the forefront of the gay lobby on campus, including Nancy Snow and Ed de St. Aubin. Indeed, if one omits eleven faculty in Theology who signed the anti-Ryan letter but not the pro-lesbian dean letter, almost half (20 of 41) of the faculty who signed the anti-Ryan letter also signed the pro-lesbian dean letter.

Add to this the fact that some Theology faculty who did not sign the lesbian dean letter are quite leftist and politically correct. Brian Massingale, for example, is a promoter of the notion of “white privilege,” a concept designed to guilt or intimidate whites into accepting a whole array of leftist policies — on pain of being labeled a defender of “white privilege.” Robert L. Masson likewise uses the same strategy in his classes to promote a narrow leftist policy agenda. In fact, Masson uses Massingale’s book in his class.

Which puts into perspective the claim of the anti-Ryan letter to be reflecting Catholic social teaching. At a place like Marquette, Catholic teaching is virtually always invoked to support a liberal agenda — more government programs, more social spending, more income redistribution — and virtually never to support a ban on abortion, or upholding heterosexual marriage.

The people who sign such letters, in other words, are (with a few exceptions) merely liberals or leftists. The “Catholic” stuff is just window dressing....

Edited by Tom Scully

Guest Robert Morrow

Scully, I am no fan of "gay marriage" whatever that is. Nor am I am fan of any laws criminalizing sodomy or homosexuality.

Not only that, I am not in favor of the government being involved in marriage at all. Especially not creating a new class of "gay marriage" with all the benefits that accrue to that.

I am a single man, but at least I respect heterosexual couples creating and raising kids, though I do not think the state should be involved in sanctioning that.

By the way, that was a highly effective flier even in liberal Travis County, Texas.

Guest Robert Morrow

Washington Post reprints Philly obit on Gaeton Fonzi: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/whitehouse/gaeton-fonzi-jfk-assassination-investigator-dies-at-76/2012/09/14/03d46440-fdbb-11e1-a31e-804fccb658f9_story.html

Gaeton Fonzi, JFK assassination investigator, dies at 76

By Walter F. Naedele, Published: September 14

Gaeton Fonzi, 76, a magazine reporter who investigated the assassination of President John F. Kennedy for congressional committees in the 1970s, died Aug. 30 at his home in Satellite Beach, Fla. He had Parkinson’s disease.

His wife, Marie Fonzi, confirmed his death.

Mr. Fonzi was an investigator for the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence from 1975 to 1977 and for the House Select Committee on Assassinations for two years after that.

Mr. Fonzi came to believe that Kennedy was assassinated as a result of a conspiracy that he alleged involved the CIA. Mr. Fonzi’s research led the House committee to conclude in its official 1979 report that there was “a high probability that two gunmen” shot at Kennedy in Dallas and that the president “was probably assassinated as a result of a conspiracy” — although the committee specifically excluded the CIA, the FBI, organized crime, and the Soviet and Cuban governments from any alleged conspiracy.

Mr. Fonzi took issue with the final report, saying he had established a link between the CIA and Lee Harvey Oswald, the accused assassin of Kennedy. Mr. Fonzi published a book explaining his findings, “The Last Investigation,” in 1993.

“His whole obsession was the Kennedy assassination,” his wife said.

“He was in constant contact with everybody about that” for years, she said. “He went and spoke in Dallas almost every year” at gatherings where the assassination was discussed.

Gaetano Fonzi was born Oct. 10, 1935, in Philadelphia. (He later dropped the final letter of his first name.)

Mr. Fonzi graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1957, where he wrote for the campus newspaper. He was briefly a reporter at a Pennsylvania newspaper before serving as an Army infantry officer.

In 1959, he joined what became Philadelphia magazine, a publication for business executives at the time, and helped turn it into a trend-setting publication.

“He did a lot of great stuff,” recalled D. Herbert Lipson, chairman of Metrocorp, owner of Philadelphia and Boston magazines.

“In those days, we wanted to cure all the ills of the world,” Lipson said, nothing that Mr. Fonzi sometimes took years to gather evidence before publishing his investigations.

One of Mr. Fonzi’s stories, in which he collaborated with another writer, exposed a Philadelphia Inquirer reporter who collected kickbacks in return for not publishing critical stories.

The reporter, Harry Karafin, later went to prison.

Gil Spencer, the late top editor at the Philadelphia Daily News, said in 1989 that Mr. Fonzi was among the first reporters “to turn regional magazines into investigative instruments.”

In 1970, Mr. Fonzi published a biography of Walter Annenberg, a former publisher of the Philadelphia Inquirer, diplomat and philanthropist.

After leaving Philadelphia in 1972, Mr. Fonzi became an editor and part owner of Miami magazine before working for the congressional committees.

He later contributed to magazines, studied the Kennedy assassination and pursued an interest in sailing.

In addition to his wife of 55 years, survivors include four children; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

— Philadelphia Inquirer