• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Davies

Graham Davies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:I began my career as a teacher of German and French in secondary education in 1965, moving into higher education in 1971, where I taught German (and also English as a Foreign Language to students training to become professional translators) until 1993. I have been involved in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) since 1976. In 1982 I wrote one of the first introductory books on computers in language learning and teaching, which was followed by numerous other printed and software publications. In 1989 I was conferred with the title of Professor of CALL by the Academic Board of Ealing College of Higher Education (later integrated into Thames Valley University). I retired from full-time teaching in 1993 but I continued to work as a Visiting Professor for Thames Valley University until 2001. I was the Founder President of EUROCALL, holding the post from 1993 to 2000. I am a partner in Camsoft, a CALL software development and consultancy business, which was founded in 1982. I have lectured and run ICT training courses for language teachers in 22 different countries and I sit on a number of national and international advisory boards and committees. I have been actively involved in WorldCALL since 1998 and I currently head a working party that is in the process of setting up WorldCALL as an official organisation that aims to assist countries that are currently underserved in the area of ICT and the teaching and learning of modern foreign languages. I am fluent in German, I speak tolerable French, and I can survive in Italian, Russian and Hungarian. I enjoy golf, skiing, walking my dog (a retired racing greyhound) and travelling. I used to scuba-dive regularly - my last dive was on the Great Barrier Reef in 1998 - but now I just swim at my local fitness centre.

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:57 AM

Ok, let's get away from all this boring (and controversial) political stuff :P and have a look at some REAL history...

An Australian colleague has drawn my attention to the following website.

Winged Sandals: Many teachers may find this site interesting, especially in view of the forthcoming Olympics. It's a delightful multimedia website on Greek Mythology created by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in association with The University of Melbourne's Centre for Classics and Archaeology. The website is designed for children 6-12 but will certainly have a much wider appeal: http://www.wingedsandals.com

#2 Cigdem Göle

Cigdem Göle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Music (alternative/indie/progressive rock), archaeology, literature, politics, WW2, cinema.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Could Atlantis have been a part of today's Santorini?

Santorini Eruption and The Legend of Atlantis
"In the modern era, geologic and archeological investigations hint at an intriguing possibility -- that the demise of Atlantis may be related to a catastrophic Bronze Age eruption in the Aegean Sea, which generated a flooded
caldera and destroyed an advanced Minoan civilization living on the island group of Santorini..."
http://www.geology.s.../santorini.html

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Cigdem Eksi, 12 August 2008 - 01:49 PM.

#3 Kathy Beckett

Kathy Beckett

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:Media Coverage of the Assassination,Zfilm discussions,,All Things Disney,Henry VIII, Titanic and her sister ships,Heraldry, Harry Potter,Lugosi, Mustelids, Classic Films, and Cuisines.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

Cig,

Could be!!!

I clicked on the link provided in Post#1, and it said it was unavailable. So searching to see if Herodotus ( I am very fond of him, and figured he did) had anything to say about Atlantis,(because most is attributed to Plato), I came upon this:

http://www.atlantisq...m/Writings.html

Have you read any of his writings on the Delphian Oracle?

Edited by Kathy Beckett, 12 August 2008 - 03:14 PM.

#4 Cigdem Göle

Cigdem Göle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Music (alternative/indie/progressive rock), archaeology, literature, politics, WW2, cinema.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Cig,

Could be!!!

I clicked on the link provided in Post#1, and it said it was unavailable. So searching to see if Herodotus ( I am very fond of him, and figured he did) had anything to say about Atlantis,(because most is attributed to Plato), I came upon this:

http://www.atlantisq...m/Writings.html

Thanks, Kath, great info!!!
I've always been interested in the Atlantis and Mu myths.

Have you read any of his writings on the Delphian Oracle?

No, I haven't...

#5 Kathy Beckett

Kathy Beckett

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:Media Coverage of the Assassination,Zfilm discussions,,All Things Disney,Henry VIII, Titanic and her sister ships,Heraldry, Harry Potter,Lugosi, Mustelids, Classic Films, and Cuisines.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

If you've any free time between now and the beginning of school, it might be a good time to write a paper of some sort. Guess I'll have to do the same--however, Herodotus' writings on Babylon are quite good, and I may have to write on Delphi here and then start a Babylonian thread for the other.

#6 Cigdem Göle

Cigdem Göle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

Kathy,

Yes, I have time but I'm not good at putting my thoughts down on a paper.
But I'll gladly read what you will have to write.
Email me a copy when you finish it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users