GO

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W - F 14

W - I 9

GO

Wow, Norman, what a marathon. A wonderful experience, thank you.

Ok, now, : I'm not sure how to deal with the top right corner. If you have checked it out, let me know. I've never ended a game before with a KO threat shape in this way.

I can't presume it's mine. Is it neutral or not?

So, let's get that right before calculating the score.

Meanwhile, It has truly been a real pleasure, Norman.

Thanks, John, for introducting me to this game. I particularly remember your comments at the start, which were, amongst other things, a warning to me that there is more to this game than meets the eye! (My latest 'Go' reading is called, appropriately, 'Go, more than a game'.)

I can't find, so far, in any of the books I've looked at, an example of 'the besiegers being besieged' as we have got on the top right hand of the board. I was inclined to think that, if the position was fought through, the stone that filled the last of the three liberties - whether black or white - would be the winner - a procedure that seemed to me fraught with danger, so I didn't attempt it!

I look forward to getting to grips with the score!

Norman, I've passed on the 'conundrum' to a local player who should be able to resolve it.

I hope to post an answer by tomorrow, best, John.

Ok, (I'm too tired to get to grips with this now), but it appears that mannen ko, or 10 000 year ko, (sometimes 1000 year ko) holds the answer, apparently leading to seki. Those are the key words to explore.

If you can formulate a description of this please post.

I'll look into it tomorrow.

Edited by John Dolva

Welcome, Norman. I guess a simple explanation could be that it is a very old game (with somewhat disputed origins). The size of the board has grown over the millinnea to 19 by 19. The possible permutations far exceeds those of chess. There have been attempts to expand the size by a couple of more lines, but that massive increase in complexity has shown it becomes unplayable.

re the ko. : http://senseis.xmp.net/?TenThousandYearKo

The way I read it is that we should treat the corner as seki. ? ?

I think for the purpose of finishing we can do a number of things. http://senseis.xmp.net/?Seki

The simplest one (imo) is to put it down to experience and something to learn from and consider the corner neutral, ie nobodies, without further complicating it by invalidating the game in toto or forcing play which would only result in seki anyway. ? ?