The Education Forum

Use of the word 'hero'

It has recently come to my attention, that the use of the word ‘hero’ now has no meaning. A hero was once reserved for a person who committed a heroic action, such as running into a burning house to save a life, or diving into surf to save a life etc. but tonight, on Australian television, the word was used to describe a man who ate an onion, he was described as ‘an Australian hero’. Is it just me, or do other members also share my thoughts? I would be interested to know what you all think.

It has recently come to my attention, that the use of the word ‘hero’ now has no meaning. A hero was once reserved for a person who committed a heroic action, such as running into a burning house to save a life, or diving into surf to save a life etc. but tonight, on Australian television, the word was used to describe a man who ate an onion, he was described as ‘an Australian hero’. Is it just me, or do other members also share my thoughts? I would be interested to know what you all think.

Hi Adam

I do know that in my adoptive country, the United States, members of the armed forces who served in Iraq as well as victims of terrorist actions such as 9/11 seem to be automatically termed as "heroes." Does finding yourself in difficult circumstances make you a hero? I don't think so, unless you showed yourself worthy of the designation by committing heroic acts. You are correct, Adam, the meaning of the term is being devalued.

All my best

Chris