The Education Forum

Calibrating Scopes

A recent documentary on the German and Russian snipers at Stalengrad noted the differences in calibrating the rifle scopes of the different armies, with the German rifle needing a small screwdriver to line up the scope crosshairs for accuracy, while the Russian scopes could be hand calibrated.

After a scope is mounted, or even moved, it must be calibrated and recalibrated.

It is fired at a target, adjusted, fired again and adjusted until correctly lined.

The German scopes took five shots to calibrate while the Russian scopes took three shots.

This made me wonder what type of scope was on the rifle found at the TSBD?

And was it calibrated correctly and if so, how was it adjusted without actually firing it?

BK

A recent documentary on the German and Russian snipers at Stalengrad noted the differences in calibrating the rifle scopes of the different armies, with the German rifle needing a small screwdriver to line up the scope crosshairs for accuracy, while the Russian scopes could be hand calibrated.

After a scope is mounted, or even moved, it must be calibrated and recalibrated.

It is fired at a target, adjusted, fired again and adjusted until correctly lined.

The German scopes took five shots to calibrate while the Russian scopes took three shots.

This made me wonder what type of scope was on the rifle found at the TSBD?

And was it calibrated correctly and if so, how was it adjusted without actually firing it?

BK

William,

as for the scope, here is the testymony of Seymour Weitzman on April 1, 1964.

Mr. BALL - And the wooden portion of the rifle was what color?

Mr. WEITZMAN - It was a brown, or I would say not a mahogany brown but dark oak brown.

Mr. BALL - Rough wood, was it?

Mr. WEITZMAN - Yes, sir; rough wood.

Mr. BALL - And it was equipped with a scope?

Mr. WEITZMAN - Yes, sir.

Mr. BALL - Was it of Japanese manufacture?

Mr. WEITZMAN - I believe it was a 2.5 Weaver at the time I looked at it. I didn't look that close at it; it just looked like a 2.5 but it turned out to be a Japanese scope, I believe.

Mr. BALL - Didn't you, when you went over to the railroad yard, talk to some yardman?

Mr. WEITZMAN - I asked a yardman if he had seen or heard anything during the passing of the President. He said he thought he saw somebody throw something through a bush and that's when I went back over the fence and that's when I found the portion of the skull. I thought it was a firecracker portion; that's what we first were looking for. This was before we knew the President was dead.

Mr. BALL - Did the yardman tell you where he thought the noise came from?

Mr. WEITZMAN - Yes, sir; he pointed out the wall section where there was a bunch of shrubbery and I believe that's to the right where I went over the wall where the steampipe was; that would be going north back toward the jail.

the following is from E.C. Dorsch Jr. who did some work on this issue.

This segment of testimony seriously compromises Seymour Weitzman. I have had the benefit of inspecting a Mannlicher Carcano M91/38 carbine fitted with the same model of Ordinance Optics scope as C2766. This scope bears the following information in highly readable white print against the black cylinder of the scope:

4 x 18 coated

Ordinance Optics Inc

Hollywood, California

010 Japan. OSC

(E.C.Dorsch Jr.)

George

throw something through a bush and that's when I went back over the fence and that's when I found the portion of the skull.

is there anything that indicates exactly where this was?

perhaps PM rather than distracting thread?