The Education Forum

VIDEO - The Murchison Party

On the evening before the assassination, Clint Murchison, the Dallas oil millionaire, threw a big party. In attendance were HL Hunt, Richard Nixon, and J Edgar Hoover. At the end of the party, a private meeting is held and Lyndon Johnson is told that he will become President the following day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGbwIIIYug

On the evening before the assassination, Clint Murchison, the Dallas oil millionaire, threw a big party. In attendance were HL Hunt, Richard Nixon, and J Edgar Hoover. At the end of the party, a private meeting is held and Lyndon Johnson is told that he will become President the following day.

Am I the only one who thinks that the story about the party, or at least some attendees, has been largely discredited?

Seems like I've read that both LBJ and Nixon were photographed elsewhere and could not have been at Murchison's.

Am I the only one who thinks that the story about the party, or at least some attendees, has been largely discredited?

Seems like I've read that both LBJ and Nixon were photographed elsewhere and could not have been at Murchison's.

Myra, it's well known that Nixon was in Dallas to speak to the Pepsi-Cola convention and the owner of the business was Joan Crawford. The night before the Assassination, he was seen dining with Crawford in a Dallas restaurant. Supposedly a photo was taken of the 2 together. I've never seen it. This was around 11 pm.

After the meal, Nixon brought Crawford back to the hotel they each were staying at. He then got a ride to the Murchinson's home near Dallas. There was another Murchinson home farther away. But these powerful individuals, according to Madeline Brown, LBJ's girlfriend, showed up at the closer home.

She wrote a book about her affair with Johnson called Texas in the Morning. I believe she was interviewed on TMWKK. She is now deceased. She said LBJ arrived last and went into the meeting room. She sat outside and suddenly the doors opened and LBJ, red-faced, came over to her and said, "After tomorrow, those Kennedy boys will never embarrass me again." I believe the word was "embarrass." I don't know where LBJ was that he got there late.

Kathy

Edited by Kathleen Collins

No, you are not alone. The story has been discredited, as has been discussed here and elsewhere. A lot of people just don't want to let it go.

No, you are not alone. The story has been discredited, as has been discussed here and elsewhere. A lot of people just don't want to let it go.

I believe it's true. I haven't come across any debunking of it yet. If you could lead the way, that would be nice.

Kathy

I believe it's true. I haven't come across any debunking of it yet. If you could lead the way, that would be nice.

You can read about the evidence for and against the party here:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbrownM.htm

Madeleine Brown originally told the story on the television programme, A Current Affair (24th February, 1992)

On Thursday night, Nov. 21, 1963, the last evening prior to Camelot's demise, I attended a social at Clint Murchison's home. It was my understanding that the event was scheduled as a tribute honoring his long time friend, J. Edgar Hoover (whom Murchison had first met decades earlier through President William Howard Taft), and his companion, Clyde Tolson. Val Imm, the society editor for the now-defunct Dallas Times Herald, unwittingly documented one of the most significant gatherings in American history. The impressive guest list included John McCloy, Richard Nixon, George Brown, R. L. Thornton, H. L. Hunt and a host of others from the 8F group. The jovial party was just breaking up when Lyndon made an unscheduled visit. I was the most surprised by his appearance since Jesse had not mentioned anything about Lyndon's coming to Clint's. With Lyndon's hectic schedule, I never dreamed he could attend the big party. After all, he had arrived in Dallas on Tuesday to attend the Pepsi-Cola convention. Tension filled the room upon his arrival. The group immediately went behind closed doors. A short time later Lyndon, anxious and red-faced, reappeared I knew how secretly Lyndon operated. Therefore I said nothing... not even that I was happy to see him. Squeezing my hand so hard, it felt crushed from the pressure, he spoke with a grating whisper, a quiet growl, into my ear, not a love message, but one I'll always remember: "After tomorrow those goddamn Kennedys will never embarrass me again - that's no threat - that's a promise."

Gary Mack published an account of Madeleine Brown's story on 14th May, 1997.

Madeleine has claimed over the years that she attended a party at Clint Murchison’s house the night before the assassination and LBJ, Hoover and Nixon were there. The party story, without LBJ, first came from Penn Jones in Forgive My Grief. In that version, the un-credited source was a black chauffeur whom Jones didn’t identify, and the explanation Jones gave was that it was the last chance to decide whether or not to kill JFK. Of course, Hoover used only top FBI agents for transportation and in the FBI of 1963, none were black. Actually, there is no confirmation for a party at Murchison’s. I asked Peter O’Donnell because Madeleine claimed he was there, too. Peter said there was no party. Madeleine even said there was a story about it in the Dallas Times Herald some months later (which makes no sense), but she had not been able to find it. Val Imm (Society Editor of the Dallas Times Herald) told Bob Porter (of the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza staff) recently she had no memory of such an event and even looked through her notes - in vain.

Could LBJ have been at a Murchison party? No. LBJ was seen and photographed in the Houston Coliseum with JFK at a dinner and speech. They flew out around 10pm and arrived at Carswell (Air Force Base in northwest Fort Worth) at 11:07 Thursday night. Their motorcade to the Hotel Texas arrived about 11:50 and LBJ was again photographed. He stayed in the Will Rogers suite on the 13th floor and Manchester (William Manchester - author of The Death of a President) says he was up late. Could Nixon have been at Murchison’s party? No. Tony Zoppi (Entertainment Editor of The Dallas Morning News) and Don Safran (Entertainment Editor of the Dallas Times Herald) saw Nixon at the Empire Room at the Statler-Hilton. He walked in with Joan Crawford (Movie actress). Robert Clary (of Hogan’s Heroes fame) stopped his show to point them out, saying “. . . either you like him or you don’t.” Zoppi thought that was in poor taste, but Safran said Nixon laughed. Zoppi’s deadline was 11pm, so he stayed until 10:30 or 10:45 and Nixon was still there.

As Ron says it has been discussed on the forum before:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5198

Kathy

I also believe that woman with the tooth missing and most of Brown's story. It never ceases to amaze me how we all could have been sold the original story so easily, but yet the mountain of evidence exposing the government's big lie is scrutinized so dearly.

What did seamstress that worked in the "Big House" have to gain by her story? Sure, Brown could be a loon, but I just have a gut feeling that her story is true.

Anyway, it doesn't matter whether this story is true of not. It doesnt change all the other facts, which leads me to believe this could be disinformation, designed to discredit all the other truthful evidence, or just another example of the power of these people to cover their tracks. They could produce any photograph of their whereabouts, come up with any cover story, or do ANYTHING neccessary to cover their tracks.

If this meeting did happen, do you think they would not do ANYTHING to cover it up. People that have killed hundreds of people in their effort to get away with this?

Evidence of Nixon and Hoover some place else. What does that prove?

It proves they are good.

I have a hard time relying on photographic evidence. He was here, he was there. Were there dates and times on those photographs taken of these men ? I doubt it. Those pictures could have been taken on any date and at any time. As far as I'm concerned, they don't prove a thing. The witnesses who claimed they saw them could be as mistaken as Madeline Brown or the witnesses who put them at the Murchison Party. The Dallas press ? I don't count them as being credible. They hated JFK.

I don't find it strange that people who were allegedly at the party would deny that there was a party.

Even today, people in Texas are afraid to talk about Lyndon Johnson. If you were at a party where all of these national figures were, and then the next day, the President of the United States were murdered and subsequently witnesses started dying one after another, would you talk ?

And then there is the question of why multiple witnesses would lie about such a meeting. Did they conspire to throw us interested parties off ? It's hard to swallow for me.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the party could have run into the early hours of the morning. Ms. Brown said that Johnson "made an appearance", which means that he wasn't there very long. Then the party broke up once he left.

It sounds like it was a private party and not a social event. It probably wasn't publicized at all.

You can read about the evidence for and against the party here:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbrownM.htm

Madeleine Brown originally told the story on the television programme, A Current Affair (24th February, 1992)

The jovial party was just breaking up when Lyndon made an unscheduled visit. I was the most surprised by his appearance since Jesse had not mentioned anything about Lyndon's coming to Clint's. With Lyndon's hectic schedule, I never dreamed he could attend the big party. After all, he had arrived in Dallas on Tuesday to attend the Pepsi-Cola convention.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5198

John, I think Madeline Brown made a mistake when she says that Johnson was in Dallas for the Pepsi Cola convention. Nixon was there for the Pepsi convention. Johnson was there to campaign supposedly and it was his native state. She says Johnson had been in Dallas since Tuesday to attend the convention. If he was there on Tuesday, I bet he had a lot of meetings with various individuals. You know, paving the way.

I will read the threads you have pointed out.

Kathy

She says Johnson had been in Dallas since Tuesday to attend the convention.

I believe Johnson did speak at the bottlers convention. I don't know how long he was in Dallas, but he was in Texas for about a month prior to the assassination. That gave him plenty of time to plan for "the big event."