The Education Forum

United States Elections

As someone living under a puppet ruler (the UK) I am very interested in the US presidential elections. Like most people living in the UK I want a John Kerry victory (even supporters of the Conservative Party are frightened by the prospects of a George Bush continuing as president).

I would like to ask a question. Hopefully supporters of George Bush will also reply.

In 2000 the US spent $288.8 billion on the military. In 2004 it was $399.1 billion. In 2005 it is forecast to reach $420.7 billion. At the same time Bush has made cuts in the taxes paid by the rich. In contrast, the US only spends 4.8 of its GDP (Gross Domestic Product) on education. This is very low when compared to other industrialised countries. The state also spends far less than other industrialized countries on things like health and welfare. Even so, Bush has found it impossible to balance the budget. This is bound to cause economic hardship for US citizens in the future.

My question is why does the American people put up with this state of affairs? If this was happening in European countries, the people would be on the verge of revolution.

As someone living under a puppet ruler (the UK) I am very interested in the US presidential elections. Like most people living in the UK I want a John Kerry victory (even supporters of the Conservative Party are frightened by the prospects of a George Bush continuing as president).

I would like to ask a question. Hopefully supporters of George Bush will also reply.

In 2000 the US spent $288.8 billion on the military. In 2004 it was $399.1 billion. In 2005 it is forecast to reach $420.7 billion. At the same time Bush has made cuts in the taxes paid by the rich. In contrast, the US only spends 4.8 of its GDP (Gross Domestic Product) on education. This is very low when compared to other industrialised countries. The state also spends far less than other industrialized countries on things like health and welfare. Even so, Bush has found it impossible to balance the budget. This is bound to cause economic hardship for US citizens in the future.

My question is why does the American people put up with this state of affairs? If this was happening in European countries, the people would be on the verge of revolution.

Oops, meant to lurk, hit wrong key now have to toss in my two cents. Since we're on subject of money, pick up the paperback "Capitalism for Beginners" published 1980 or so. It helped me understand the American "experiment."

IMVHO US mass media, consumerism's cohort, is where we get our popular candidates. This tripe media (not the noble Indy kind) has bred a "more for less mentality." We readily buy lots of things incl. messages. We get fat and elect fools who tell us it's all going to be okay between station breaks. Strange, given our radical history. I'm not sure at what point it went horribly wrong. Maybe taxation is a clue.

Even today a passive North American citizenry driven to the brink of isolation has relative comfort. Amazingly we are now at war and it seemingly doesn't touch the masses. Thought we'd learned from Vietnam. This is Kerry's strongest suit, his antiwar convictions. Let's see if he campaigns on that or wimps out. I'm also hoping he'll pry open those JFK and Iran Contra files at the National Archives. There's a few things I want to look up-ha.

The health of the country is judged by "middle class" standard. True, we've forgotten some basics-medical care for all, money for decent schools, a chicken in every pot. As usual, this is all on the table for coming elections.

We'll see if candidates appeal to the ol' reliable Middle Class, promise more prosperity and if War will take a back seat as "Bush's War." Americans had almost forgotten the first Bush and Kerry doesn't even need to say the words "Iran Contra". Now, with VP Edwards, the race is almost too easy.

Lastly; there are those wide spaces (States) between subcultures in the US to keep us in-fighting. Big insults are being hurled regularly at Californians and New Yorkers, as if WE are to blame!

Seriously, American's do think and read (maybe slow learners) and November is going to be amazing. Should Bush be made to stay or should Kerry try to fix the mess?

Edited by Chris Cox

Why do the American people put up with this? Because they're brain-washed and psy-op'd by their wide-screened, HDTV's and couldn't give a rat's patooty about anything else but their own immediate needs and comfort. Sorry Chris, but I believe the media moguls play a huge role in keeping the "dumbing down of America" a top priority in the overall agenda aimed at controlling the masses. Remember the fuzzy-cozy term, "couch potatoe"? Well I actually understood that to be an advertizing ploy to unify the majority of numb-nuts crowded around their TV's, by calling them vegetables, vegetating and getting fat, in front of their Big Brother tubes. In medical terms, a vegetative state is also a diagnosis of advanced organic brain syndrome. The spin doctors actually had the American people laughing while they were labelling them as, brainless!

How sad to be known for being "slow on the draw", or slow learners, as you so aptly put it. I, for one, think it's frightening that the mentality of the majority of Americans are on par with the retarded sector of the population. What possible inventiveness or creative genius can emerge from the minions of hapless underachievers this country is hoping to offer up as future leaders in the world theater? The majority of them are so wrapped up in their commercialized lives, that any thought of what may be subliminally happening to their thought processes draws a total blank, if one were to attempt to draw their attention to it. No, all they want is their cable, their cellphones [another noise pollution gadget], and their gas guzzling SUV's [keeping us held captive, forever to the Middle Eastern politicos, and their territorial tribal disputes]. And, if you try to inform them of the connection of it all, and how they're being used, all you'll get are nervous giggles and blank denial from their meager excuse of what they perceive to be a knowledge base. Totally skewed, and at risk of becoming totally skewered.

:rolleyes:

The American people are now more polarized along party lines than they have ever been. I think lots of people are trying to figure out which of these two clowns running for office is worse.

I have personal knowledge that both Kerry and Bush are both very corrupt. They are both in deep with the CIA. Renegade CIA officers play both ends against the middle so that no matter who wins, the CIA wins.

Don't count on Kerry to expose anything. The corrupt people are his friends.