The Education Forum

For Tosh

Tosh,

In your travels, did you ever cross paths with Key West Customs Agent Cesar Diosdado?

Cheers,

James

James; Yes. Years ago. I did not know him personally, but he signed off on the radar time tables of covert flights coming into the USA and Leaving the USA through the ADIZ (Aircraft Defense Identifications Zones) We were given these time tables by Customs so as not to be intercepted by Customs or Border Patrol survailance. It was the same MO used as far back as 1960 and to some degree used all the way up to the late seventies. I am not sure when he was connected with that, but our information came from Miami Station and the Miami Desk of the CIA. I think "The Fish are Red" (1976) and "Deadly Secrets" (? 198?) explains how this was done and why.

Am I talking about the same person? My memory is F'ed as some have told me.. Thanks for the question James.

James; Yes. Years ago. I did not know him personally, but he signed off on the radar time tables of covert flights coming into the USA and Leaving the USA through the ADIZ (Aircraft Defense Identifications Zones) We were given these time tables by Customs so as not to be intercepted by Customs or Border Patrol survailance. It was the same MO used as far back as 1960 and to some degree used all the way up to the late seventies. I am not sure when he was connected with that, but our information came from Miami Station and the Miami Desk of the CIA. I think "The Fish are Red" (1976) and "Deadly Secrets" (? 198?) explains how this was done and why.

Am I talking about the same person? My memory is F'ed as some have told me.. Thanks for the question James. (Tosh Plumlee)

Thanks, Tosh. I appreciate the reply. Diosdado is certainly an interesting character. I know it was a long time ago, but is it a possibility that one of these guys below is Diosdado?

Cheers,

James

I know I shouldn't "piggyback" the families/Cuba topic onto Diosdado history. Nothing to do with him but this is a site launched today by a young woman with a compelling Cuba story. Wonder if either of you have heard of her or her Cuban family?

http://www.transom.org/shows/2004/200411.familysentence.html

Sorry, fellas, now back to Cesar D.

I know I shouldn't "piggyback" the families/Cuba topic onto Diosdado history.  Nothing to do with him but this is a site launched today by a young woman with a compelling Cuba story.  Wonder if either of you have heard of her or her Cuban family?

http://www.transom.org/shows/2004/200411.familysentence.html

Sorry, fellas, now back to Cesar D.

Thanks Christy.. Some of those boys, I think were with the M-26-7 'The University of Havana ( the DF? I think, about 1957) Joe Westbrook Rosales and a Chomone(?sp), Fautoso(?sp) Most of these people were connected to the Humboldt Complex and ferried guns and ammo to the rebels in the hills. Others were involved in the Palace attack. Was her father a part of that group? If so I would find that very interesting. If so, that would make him assciated with CIA, Miami Station. Thanks... I know its a long shot.. , but interesting.....Tosh :tomatoes

James;  Yes. Years ago. I did not know him personally, but he signed off on the radar time tables of covert flights coming into the USA and Leaving the USA through the ADIZ  (Aircraft Defense Identifications Zones)  We were given these time tables by Customs so as not to be intercepted by Customs or Border Patrol survailance.  It was the same MO used as far back as 1960 and to some degree used all the way up to the late seventies.  I am not sure when he was connected with that, but our information came from Miami Station and the Miami Desk of the CIA.   I think "The Fish are Red" (1976) and "Deadly Secrets" (? 198?) explains how this was done and why.

Am I talking about the same person?  My memory is F'ed as some have told me..  Thanks for the question James. (Tosh Plumlee)

Thanks, Tosh. I appreciate the reply. Diosdado is certainly an interesting character. I know it was a long time ago, but is it a possibility that one of these guys below is Diosdado?

Cheers,

James

James I am not sure. I would only be gussing and that would be a 50/50 chance. I never met him but saw him one time I think. That was at Marathon Key at the airport across from Jack Tarrs resort. But I am not sure if this guy was around that early (1960-1962) I would say the fellow on the right, but as I said its only a guess. Not really much help. Was he ever at "Dodge Island? Was he active (right) around 1980? looks like someone I met in Honduras about that time Tosh

Edited by William Plumlee

James I am not sure. I would only be gussing and that would be a 50/50 chance. I never met him but saw him one time I think. That was at Marathon Key at the airport across from Jack Tarrs resort. But I am not sure if this guy was around that early (1960-1962) I would say the fellow on the right, but as I said its only a guess. Not really much help. Was he ever at "Dodge Island? (Tosh Plumlee)

Thanks Tosh. I know it is difficult given the years and I appreciate your efforts.

I have no idea regarding Dodge Island.

Also, if Diosdado is in the photo, he is the guy on the right. Again, I appreciate your reply.

James

Another one:

http://www.ajweberman.com/nodules/nodule8.htm

CESAR DIOSDADO NUNEZ

The buy was made by Customs Agent Cesar Diosdado: The CIA reported:

2. Cesar Diosdado, the Subject of files #276 656 and #32 469, who was born on August 16, 1921, in Laredo, Texas, and had been employed by the Customs Bureau, Treasury Department, since 1951, and is presently resident Customs Agent-in-Charge, Key West, Florida. Diosdado has been of interest to this Agency since 1961 and his last Liaison Clearance was approved on March 2, 1967, for use on JM WAVE Project in Miami, Florida. Prior to his clearance an investigation conducted on the Subject proved to be clear.

3. In April 1966 Diosdado was under investigation relative to allegations made against his mental stability and a charge that threats had been made on his life by the Cuban community in Florida. At this time Subjects salary was being paid by Wave Station. Subject is described as a controversial individual who has antagonized several of his fellow employees because of his brusque manner and attitude although he was doing an excellent job for WAVE. An investigation conducted by the Treasury Department on the above charges disclosed that they resulted from immaturity on the part of several individuals under the supervision of Diosdado and had no basis in fact.

4. The threat on Diosdado's life was made after the seizure of an automatic gun found concealed on a boat in Key West during July 1965 and a subsequent allegation was made that he had planted the weapon in the vessel. Diosdado had advised two of his agents to advise the agent who had made the allegation against Diosdado that he should be careful, to watch out and to stop spreading lies. It was the opinion of the investigating officers the Diosdado meant that his agent should be careful of Cuban nationals who might harm Customs agents in that area and he was not found to be unstable mentally.

5. In January 1967 another complaint was received from a Confidential Informant by the Internal Revenue Service on Diosdado's alleged sale of guns to a group of individuals planning an invasion of Haiti as well as his participation in a raid in which the persons were arrested by the U.S. Customs agents and the Miami County Deputy Sheriff on January 1, 1967. Informant claimed that Diosdado had been selling guns to persons and groups since 1957, and that he had sold arms to Castro prior to Castro's taking over Cuba, as well as getting individuals in and out of Cuba for a price. Moreover the informant advised that Diosdado was known to the FBI who have a file on the Subject but who do not interfere with his activities since the FBI believes he is acting for the CIA.

6. As a result of the above allegations by the Confidential Informant the Deputy Director, Internal Security, Internal Revenue Service, was apprized of this Agency's operational interest in Diosdado and no action was taken on the allegations. The Deputy Director advised that he would inform his representatives in Miami that the complaint had been channeled properly and that he should not undertake any investigation of such charges.

7. Western Hemisphere officials were informed of the allegations made against Diosdado and they in turn spoke in glowing terms of the great service performed by Subject for this Agency in his particular area, and it is their opinion that his activities are part of his work in behalf of its Project.

8. Upon inquiry of the Security Officer/Western Hemisphere it was learned that the LASO Conference and resultant publicity is being followed closely by that Office. (Deleted).'

A "United States Government Memorandum File Alien Affairs Officer Subject Cesar Diosdado February 23, 1967," stated:

"On February 13, 1967, Larry Flushman, Deputy Commissioner, U.S. Customs Service, made available a copy of a letter written by Inspector John F. McKenna, Internal Revenue Service, Miami, Florida, and received by William F. McCarthy, Director of the Internal Security Division, wherein it was alleged Subject was engaged in selling arms to persons involved in aborted Haitian revolution...Mr. Flushman reported he was not going to take and action in this matter as Diosdado's salary is being reimbursed to the Customs by CIA. Diosdado also has been the Subject of many such complaints and previous investigations have disproved such allegations...On February 13, 1967, Howard J. Osborn, Director of Security, was briefed on the allegations made against Diosdado at which time he recommended the viewpoint of the Western Hemisphere Division be solicited prior to attempting any action in this matter. He also suggested that Office of the General Counsel be briefed on this matter because of its relationship to Rolando Masferrer Rojas case involving his part in the aborted Haitian revolution...

"On February 14, 1967, (deleted) OS/AAS, met with John Dimmer, Chief of Base WAVE (deleted) WH/EXO, and Richard Hannah, WH/SO, at which time Mr. Dimmer spoke in glowing terms of Subject's contribution to the Agency. Since there had been numerous complaints against Subject in past and they had been handled locally in the WAVE area, Mr. Dimmer suggested that Mr. Flushman be requested to return the matter to the Key West area for investigation and that OS/AAS assure IRS and FBI that this would be accomplished to their satisfaction. On February 14, 1967, William Cregar, FBI liaison, was requested to advise IRS to refer all queries concerning Subject to this Agency. The FBI will take no further action in this matter.

"On February 15, 1967, John Olds, Deputy Director, Internal Security Division, Internal Revenue Service, was contacted at which time he agreed Internal Revenue Service would take no further action in the matter. They would advise John F. McKenna, Internal Revenue Service, Miami, not to pursue any further action in this matter." [CIA Alien Affairs Officer 2.23.67 Louis Wienckowski; CIA Memo For Chief LEOB from Deleted 9.1.67] HEMMING told this researcher in 1994: "Diosdado worked for JMWAVE from January 1960, when it started."

DIOSDADO'S TESTIMONY

During a preliminary hearing on the case Diosdado said that he had been summoned to Mexico on May 26, 1972, by the Federal Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs and told by Arthur Sedillo, a special agent of the Bureau, to investigate a group of gun smugglers. Diosdado said that Sedillo had told him that "this group had approximately 10,000 assorted weapons and they were asking or they were trying to trade the weapons for 25 kilos of heroin. He said that he arranged with Mr. Hagler to meet Mr. Harper on May 30, 1972, at the Eagle Hotel in Eagle Pass. Diosdado then placed his initial order: 3,500 to 4,500 M-1 rifles, with 500 rounds of ammunition for each weapon. "At that time Mr. Diosdado testified: 'Mr. Harper asked me as to what was the final destination of the weapons I was intending to purchase. I told him that was my business, it was nobody else's business but my own.' Mr. Harper then put Mr. Diosdado in touch with Kessler, who invited him to visit a tool company in Newark. After touring the premises, they entered a door at the east end of the warehouse which was partitioned off from the rest of the building. Mr. Diosdado testified that there was "numerous tooling machinery there, all green in color. Kessler stated that these were the machines, the tooling equipment that they were using to manufacture their own weapons, made the spare parts for the same." Diosdado produced the 25 pounds of heroin which was judged to be defective by the Harper/Kessler group. Now, they wanted cash and Diosdado wanted explosives. To cover the cost of the transaction, Mr. Pollack of the Brooklyn Strike Force deposited $1-million in cash in $100 bills in a safe-deposit box at Chase Manhattan Bank branch in New York City. Another $1-million in cash was placed in a deposit box in San Antonio. Two other Customs agents flew to Shreveport to verify delivery and loading of the explosives on a DC-4 as planned, before Diosdado was to pay off Kessler in New Orleans. The agents seized the plane at Shreveport where it was to have embarked for Mexico, Diosdado testified. Harper was described as the catalyst and middle-man in the weapons for heroin deal." [NYT 11.11.72] The DC-4 aircraft that was seized contained 15,000 pounds of plastic explosives, 2,600 electrical blasting caps, 7,000 feet of cord and 25 electrical detonators.

PETER BREWTON'S INFORMATION

Brewton quoted Adler Berriman Seal: "The request for arms and ammunition was brought across the border to a rancher/banker by the name of Richmond Harper...who had very deep White House ties." During a trial in Las Vegas ten years later, Berriman Seal testified that the explosives were for CIA-trained anti-Castro Cubans. Peter Brewton reported that the New Orleans U.S. Attorney's Office believed Richmond C. Harper was under the impression that the weapons would be used by anti-Castro forces. Brewton reported that Richmond C. Harper was an associate of alleged CARLOS MARCELLO front man, Herman Beebe.

The case against Richmond Harper and his codefendants was dismissed. According to Peter Dale Scott, a few years later, Richmond Harper became addicted to heroin and died under mysterious circumstances in Mexico City. Brewton reported that Berriman Seal was murdered in the parking lot of a Baton Rouge halfway house in February 1986. [Johnson Lee & Marina p220; NYT 7.3.72; Brewton Mafia, CIA, Bush Shapolsky Publishers NY 1992 pp. 156-158, p102; NYT 7.3.72, 5.22.73; DeMohrenschildt- Schlumberger CIA 1241-1004]

Edited by Wim Dankbaar