The Education Forum

Meetings at the Green Manisons, Miami Springs

Tosh,

If I remember correctly, Torriente had been a Vice President at Collins Radio - something that Bill Kelly might find interesting.

Also, regarding Luciano Nieves, he was another killed in that time period. The murderer was Valentin Hernandez who is an interesting character for sure. I seem to remember there was a push to get him pardoned, something Jeb Bush was reviewing. I don't know what the outcome was.

Alice Springs? I haven't been there for years, or that place about 120 clicks north east of there. :ph34r:

James

Tosh,

If I remember correctly, Torriente had been a Vice President at Collins Radio - something that Bill Kelly might find interesting.

Also, regarding Luciano Nieves, he was another killed in that time period. The murderer was Valentin Hernandez who is an interesting character for sure. I seem to remember there was a push to get him pardoned, something Jeb Bush was reviewing. I don't know what the outcome was.

Alice Springs? I haven't been there for years, or that place about 120 clicks north east of there. :ph34r:

James

Hey, I remember flying over the big red rock, and meeting up in Freemantle with a guy who worked there, NSA Downunder.

As for Collins Radio, Torriente is on the list of unsolved, related homicides.

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2008/01...onnections.html

BK

Tosh,

James

Thanks James:

Valentin was the brother of Hernandez of the Harlendale Oak Cliff Cubans, (I think, from memory... sometimes Hernandes and Farnandez I get mixed up... Fernandez was atthe apartment house near Sunset High School, Dallas Oak Cliff, and Hernandez was with the Harlendale group, near the Dallas Zoo and was with the Beckley Street group also)

The "Raider ship Rex" was the communication ship which was always berthed at West Palm Beach when the President was in town. It was JFK's communications ship. Collins Radio (of Dallas,I think) was the DoD contractor who installed the secret radio equipment on the REX. The REX home port was Port Everglades, Florida, and at times was around Swan Island another place where Collins Radio had contracts. There were two subs down there, but they were blown up by a Castro team. (classified) I think these vesels came from Buemont Texas and Norfork VA. Alex Rourke was a POC for these naval ships. ( If I remember (Eddie... or Enduero (sp?) Martinez was at one time the Captain of the REX. (memory... fading) The REX always patroled near the Miami river for a show to the Miami Cubans and Alpha-66, used the ship from time to time on raiding parties. also known as "panty raids", (drinking beer and playing with the girls) The press loved to write stories about their raids into Cuba. I am not sure the REX ever went into Cuban waters... could be wrong... Martino once told me it was his job to give the Rex good press.

I love the 'Outback", .... of course in the winter. Is that "other place" still there? Is it as "tight" as it used to be?

Tosh,

Here is a photo you might enjoy.

And yes, that 'other place' is still there along with two others that are not so visible. They are patrolled by a private US security company and those guys take their job very seriously if you know what I mean.

James

Bill Will not be the only one interested with this fact about Collins Radio, as I find them deeply in the 'mix' of events swirling.......do you know what period he was associated with Collins?

Peter,

I checked my notes and I only have vague references that it was during the 1960's.

I can tell you that a Cuban refugee group named 'Zero' claimed responsibilty for the Torriente killing. Miami's 'Little Havana' believed it was a political assassination.

Torriente's grandson, Thomas Relado, is someone I believe worth speaking to. Not only regarding this issue but also to get a sense of what was happening in the exile community in general. The number of deaths during this mid 1970's period of particular interest, including the demise of John Roselli.

IMO of course.

BTW, for Tosh. Check this image out below. These are three guys on the 'Rex'. Any look familiar? How about the guy on the right?

James

Edited by James Richards

Tosh,

No, not a test, just thought you would enjoy the photo.

I do have some stuff on Jose Basulto. Benning graduate and agency pilot. Serious guy.

Jerry Buchanan was the brother of reporter James. Jerry was close with Evelio Duque and ran some raids into Cuba. I think Frank Fiorini (Sturgis) claimed that Jerry had a fight with Oswald in Miami at some anti-Castro demonstration.

I have heard from some Cubans that Jerry may have been an Oswald impersonator but I haven't bought into that one. This is Jerry below (far right).

Regarding 'The Tiger'. Was that Rolando Masferrer?

James

Tosh,

No, not a test, just thought you would enjoy the photo.

I do have some stuff on Jose Basulto. Benning graduate and agency pilot. Serious guy.

Jerry Buchanan was the brother of reporter James. Jerry was close with Evelio Duque and ran some raids into Cuba. I think Frank Fiorini (Sturgis) claimed that Jerry had a fight with Oswald in Miami at some anti-Castro demonstration.

I have heard from some Cubans that Jerry may have been an Oswald impersonator but I haven't bought into that one. This is Jerry below (far right).

Regarding 'The Tiger'. Was that Rolando Masferrer?

James

Thanks James. You are a big help. And I do appreciate the photos. Its like a 'Blast from the Past", for me. You have one hell of a fine collection, and too, you are a fine asset to the research community, willing to share your material with others asking nothing in return. My hats off to you.

I think you are right about Masferrer. From my view point, I do not think he was agency connected, at least to my knowledge..., kind of like a loose canon. Most all of the boat people in one way are another were either contract or payroll with the company. In those days it was hard to separate the mercs from the CIA operations. Anyone who had a boat or an aircraft was running in and out of Cuba. It was a real problem for law enforcement as well as covert operations. I never really knew Buchanan or to much about him after 1962.

Some of the others I did know better; most went through the School of the Americas before assignment. One or two of them did serve on the REX, DART, and Windjamer. Again thanks for photos and the information. I would also like to mention you and your work in the forward of my book "Deep Cover; Shallow Graves", if that would be OK with you. Of course I would not use your name or any of your material without your O.K.

I'm going into the hills next week and pound away on the keyboard and not come out until work is done.... thanks again for all your help. Tosh

Nice pictures as usual, James......Memory seems to serve up that a Cuban exile group called "Zero" claimed responsibility for

Jose de la Torriente's death and that another Cuban named Arturo Rodriguez Vives was murdered in the same time period...Guess those were a couple of non-mysterious deaths Jacqueline Hess was so fond of ridiculing.......