The Education Forum

The Case of Len Colby

John Simkin

Mike,

Please do NOT use that term; I realise it may not necessarily be considered offensive in your country, but it is in many nations. Thank you.

First and only warning regarding use of language.

Paul,

That term may be a colloquialism in the UK (I note the British origin) but it is not in common use in my military, nor would it seem in Mike's. At least 3 people thought it referred to something else - a word that I would imagine a person in the UK would easily recognise, and recognise as a swear word. Please avoid any confusion in future.

So it has come to this.

For those who may be unfamiliar with the idiom (no typo) in question, Evan refers to a euphemism for a person who habitually demonstrates ... oh, how shall I phrase this? ... an unholy and tactile self-absorbtion.

But enough about my hobbies (apologies to Woody Allen).

Much to the satisfaction of those who would disrupt the flow of information and ideas, this thread has devolved from a long-overdue, impossible-to-overvalue discussion of the vulnerabilities of Internet forums such as this to non-technological assaults, to a Python-worthy exchange on the semiotics and pragmatics of military and schoolyard slang.

Speaking of the latter: Perhaps John Simkin should consider a more hands-on presence here?

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Please do NOT use that term; I realise it may not necessarily be considered offensive in your country, but it is in many nations. Thank you.

Paul,

That term may be a colloquialism in the UK (I note the British origin) but it is not in common use in my military, nor would it seem in Mike's. At least 3 people thought it referred to something else - a word that I would imagine a person in the UK would easily recognise, and recognise as a swear word. Please avoid any confusion in future.

What?? So the term "ranker" which is NOT a swear word but could be "confused" with a word that is is now off limits??

At first I thought this had to be a joke.

What on earth is happening here?

"And the rest is silence"

Dawn

Mike,

Paul,

What?? So the term "ranker" which is NOT a swear word but could be "confused" with a word that is is now off limits??

At first I thought this had to be a joke.

What on earth is happening here?

"And the rest is silence"

Dawn

Ms. Dawn,

I whole heartedly agree. I see no harm in the word ranker. Its meaning is enlisted man, and that suits me just fine!

However I will certainly avoid calling anyone a trucker! :lol:

Mike

Or an other trucker.

All kidding aside, my cousin Louie had a summer job in quality control at a company that sold cork for marine and wine industry use.

His task was to test the product's saturation levels by immersing samples, chosen at random, in moving water of various temperatures and salinities.

His official job title was cork soaker.

Many observers of organized crime know that Sammy "The Bull" Gravano was "flipped" by the "Feds" to "rat out" his former boss, the late John Gotti. It now seems that Gravano, who recently opted out of the Witness Protection Program, is carrying a pistol for purposes of personal protection.

This weapon might artfully be described as a gun of a snitch.

Do you know the difference between an arrogant rooster and a corrupt barrister?

The arrogant rooster clucks defiance ...

Just my cute little way of probing (sorry) for limits.

Hey, it's as rational as Burton's objections to "ranker."

Or an other trucker.

All kidding aside, my cousin Louie had a summer job in quality control at a company that sold cork for marine and wine industry use.

His task was to test the product's saturation levels by immersing samples, chosen at random, in moving water of various temperatures and salinities.

His official job title was cork soaker.

Many observers of organized crime know that Sammy "The Bull" Gravano was "flipped" by the "Feds" to "rat out" his former boss, the late John Gotti. It now seems that Gravano, who recently opted out of the Witness Protection Program, is carrying a pistol for purposes of personal protection.

This weapon might artfully be described as a gun of a snitch.

Do you know the difference between an arrogant rooster and a corrupt barrister?

The arrogant rooster clucks defiance ...

Just my cute little way of probing (sorry) for limits.

Hey, it's as rational as Burton's objections to "ranker."

probing enemy lines worthy of recon status Mr. Drago!

Bully for you sir!

Mike

But seriously, I wish to go on record that I cannot and shall not be personally offended by a post on this Forum. So, dear moderators, please be advised that, for whatever it's worth, you needn't scold, censor, or in any other form or fashion punish any of our correspondents for even the boldest, most ignorant libel leveled or slander slung in my direction.

Charles

Thank you Charles, but the issue is not whether you will be offended; it is about a member violating the Forum rules.

Exactly WHAT forum rule was broken by my post Evan? A direct quote please

Guest Stephen Turner
So it has come to this.

For those who may be unfamiliar with the idiom (no typo) in question, Evan refers to a euphemism for a person who habitually demonstrates ... oh, how shall I phrase this? ... an unholy and tactile self-absorbtion.

Charles

Charles, how to phrase this, The term in question, not ranker, but five letters along in the alphabet, is applied to a specific meaning, but also a more general one, to whit, IDIOT, FOOL, BACKSTABBER, SELFISH, UNCOMPREHENDING etc, etc. And is almost Shakespearean in its scope. Hope this helps. Steve.

Exactly WHAT forum rule was broken by my post Evan? A direct quote please

An attack on another member. The post implied certain behavior by another member. There were 3 complaints about it from members, and I agreed it was inappropriate.

Charles, how to phrase this, The term in question, not ranker, but five letters along in the alphabet, is applied to a specific meaning, but also a more general one, to whit, IDIOT, FOOL, BACKSTABBER, SELFISH, UNCOMPREHENDING etc, etc. And is almost Shakespearean in its scope. Hope this helps. Steve.

Thanks, Steve.

I was referencing the SELF-STABBER, if you will.

And I assure you, no stones are being cast by this sinner.

I'll get a grip on myself and move on.

Charles

Guest Stephen Turner

Charles

Charles, Benny Hill would have paid a fortune for material like that.

Charles

Stephen,

It also by definition is a contemptuous person.

Benny Hill did pay a fortune for this material. Where do you think Charles GETS his stuff?

I hope you reconsider as a moderator, I assure you the options look bleak.

Mike

Charles

Stephen,

Benny Hill did pay a fortune for this material. Where do you think Charles GETS his stuff?

Mike

Oooooooooh! I'm being called a plagiarist. First by "Colby," now by "his" putative herr apparent.

Or I am noting nothing more than coincidence -- as opposed to happenstance and/or enemy action, as Ian Fleming might have it?

It may be difficult for some of the limited intellects on this Forum to grasp, but original wit comes easy to some of us.

So don't tell me I steal others' lines.

Or pretty soon you won't have Charles Drago to kick around anymore.

Edited by Charles Drago

Charles

Stephen,

Mike

Oooooooooh! I'm being called a plagiarist. First by "Colby," now by "his" putative herr apparant.

Or I am noting nothing more than coincidence -- as opposed to happenstance and/or enemy action, as Ian Fleming might have it?

It may be difficult for some of the limited intellects on this Forum to grasp, but original wit comes easy to some of us.

Charles,

It was a joke, apparently the wit missed you. Slow your breathing, relax, everything IS going to be ok. I promise :clapping

As for not being around to kick anymore. I could swear I have read you were leaving before, and before, and before. The turnstile never stops clicking.

I would certainly hope you remain. Your humor is priceless.

Mike

Guest Stephen Turner

Charles

Stephen,

Mike

Oooooooooh! I'm being called a plagiarist. First by "Colby," now by "his" putative herr apparant.

Charles,

It was a joke, apparently the wit missed you. Slow your breathing, relax, everything IS going to be ok. I promise :clapping

As for not being around to kick anymore. I could swear I have read you were leaving before, and before, and before. The turnstile never stops clicking.

Mike

Mike the "kicking around" is a Nixon quote. i think it was after he lost the Californian Govenorship to Brown in 62, but I could be wrong.

Charles

Stephen,

Mike

Charles,

Mike

Mike the "kicking around" is a Nixon quote. i think it was after he lost the Californian Govenorship to Brown in 62, but I could be wrong.

Sorry I missed out on that election....not born till 67 :tomatoes