The Education Forum

Ilya Mamantov

In the Warren Commission Report it stated that Crichton arranged for a member of the local Russian community, Ilya Mamantov, to work for the Dallas Police Department as a translator for Russian-born Marina Oswald shortly after the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Crichton's volunteer translated for Oswald during her initial questioning by the Dallas authorities in the hours immediately after her husband Lee Harvey Oswald had been arrested. According to Russ Baker, the author of Family of Secrets (2009), there "were far from literal translations of her Russian words and had the effect of implicating her husband in Kennedy's death."

The testimony of Ilya A. Mamantov was taken at 10 a.m., on March 23, 1964 in the office of the U.S. attorney, 301 Post Office Building, Bryan and Ervay Streets, Dallas, Tex., by Messrs. Albert E. Jenner, Jr., and Wesley J. Liebeler, assistant counsels of the President's Commission.

Mr. MAMANTOV. No; we got to Seminole--one more place I went from there. No; two more places--I went from Seminole to Snyder, Tex., and from Snyder, Tex., I went for 3 weeks to Forest, Miss., and at that time I quit the company and got my job with Sun Oil Co. here in Dallas.

Mr. JENNER With Sun?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Right; and purchased our home at 6911 East Mockingbird in October, the 1st of October 1955.

Mr. JENNER. Now, what is your facility in the command of the Russian language, with particular reference to--did you or have you done any teaching of the language?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Yes; I am teaching since 1960 here in the Dallas area. I taught scientific research to some men, of a research personnel in 1960-1961. And, I taught in the Austin College in Sherman from--it was the fall of, yes, it was fall of 1961 and 1962 No--1962 and 1963. Now, I am teaching at SMU or Dallas College, to be specific, of SMU.

Mr. JENNER. Have you done any interpreting or translating?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Yes, sir; for the American Geophysical Union, quite extensively in 1959, 1960, and 1961, and I think--yes--1961 I finished.

Mr. JENNER. And have you also done any interpreting or translating for any law enforcement agencies?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Here in the States?

Mr. JENNER. Yes.

Mr. MAMANTOV. Let me think a little--no, I don't remember. I have translated minor papers, you see, like Soviet Union's marriage certificates and birth certificates for our local courts connected with divorces, and I might be of a help to a group of Latvians, people here in town, when they received their citizenship, so much, but this is the first time for the police department.

Mr. JENNER. All right. I'll get to that. Have you ever been called upon by either any agency of the Government of the United States or of the State of Texas or the City of Dallas to do any interpreting or translating?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Yes, I was called by the police force for the City of Dallas around 5 o'clock, November 22.

Mr. JENNER. What year?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Of 1955, on 2 or 3 minutes' notice.

Mr. JENNER. It was 1955 or 1963?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Excuse me, 1963.

Mr. JENNER. I got from what you have said, then, you had no prior notice?

Mr. MAMANTOV. No; sir.

Mr. JENNER. You were called by some official of the city police department?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Yes; I was called by Lt. Lumpkin. I think he's Lieutenant--they call him Chief.

Mr. JENNER. And you repaired then to the Dallas City Police Station?

Mr. MAMANTOV. Excuse me, I was called by somebody else, a couple of minutes ahead of Lumpkin--is it important?

Mr. JENNER. I don't know--you might state what it is.

Mr. MAMANTOV. All right. I was called by Mr. Jack Chrichton, C-h-r-i-c-h-t-o-n (spelling)--I don't know how to spell his name right now, but I guess it is that, but I can find out in a day or two.

Mr. JENNER. And who is he?

Mr. MAMANTOV. He is a petroleum independent operator, and if I'm not mistaken, he is connected with the Army Reserve, Intelligence Service. And, he asked me if I would translate for the police department and then immediately Mr. Lumpkin called me.

• 2 weeks later...

When Ilya Mamantov was interviewed by Albert E. Jenner on 23rd March 1964 he gave some information about his early life. He was born in Russia in 1914. When he was seven years old his family moved to Latvia. He later studied geology at the University of Latvia. In 1938 he married Dorothy Gravitis and continued to live in Riga during the Second World War.

In 1944 Mamantov retreated with the German Army and was captured by the United States Army in Peissenberg in Bavaria and was confined to a displaced persons camp near Guenzburg. Mamantov was not asked about how he got into the US. Is it possible that this pro-Nazi was recruited by the intelligence services to spy on the Russian community in the US?

What we do know is that by 1951 Mamantov was working as a production scheduler at the Lion Match Company in New York City. The following year he was employed as a seismologist by the Donnally Geophysical Company in Dallas. Mamantov also worked in Roswell, New Mexico, Snyder, Texas and Forest, Mississippi, before being employed by the Sun Oil Company in September 1955. He returned to Dallas where he purchased a home at 6911 East Mockingbird. Around this time he got to know Jack Alston Crichton.

Mamantov became a member of the Republican Party, according to Russ Baker, the author of Family of Secrets, he was "a vociferous anti-Communist who frequently lectured in Dallas on the dangers of the Red menace." George Michael Evica argues that "Mamantov and Crichton shared a right-wing orientation centered in the Republican Party".

Walt Brown argues in Treachery in Dallas (1995) that Mamantov was "contracted to serve as translator by Jack Crichton of army intelligence and was then called a second time in quick order by the police, and subsequently picked up and driven to police headquarters in a Dallas police squad car, strongly suggestive of a police-intelligence linkup."

Russ Baker claims that these "were far from literal translations of her Russian words and had the effect of implicating her husband in Kennedy's death." George Michael Evica argues in A Certain Arrogance (2006) that Mamantov knew James Herbert Martin, an associate of Jack Ruby.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmamantov.htm

When Ilya Mamantov was interviewed by Albert E. Jenner on 23rd March 1964 he gave some information about his early life. He was born in Russia in 1914. When he was seven years old his family moved to Latvia. He later studied geology at the University of Latvia. In 1938 he married Dorothy Gravitis and continued to live in Riga during the Second World War.

In 1944 Mamantov retreated with the German Army and was captured by the United States Army in Peissenberg in Bavaria and was confined to a displaced persons camp near Guenzburg. Mamantov was not asked about how he got into the US. Is it possible that this pro-Nazi was recruited by the intelligence services to spy on the Russian community in the US?

What we do know is that by 1951 Mamantov was working as a production scheduler at the Lion Match Company in New York City. The following year he was employed as a seismologist by the Donnally Geophysical Company in Dallas. Mamantov also worked in Roswell, New Mexico, Snyder, Texas and Forest, Mississippi, before being employed by the Sun Oil Company in September 1955. He returned to Dallas where he purchased a home at 6911 East Mockingbird. Around this time he got to know Jack Alston Crichton.

Mamantov became a member of the Republican Party, according to Russ Baker, the author of Family of Secrets, he was "a vociferous anti-Communist who frequently lectured in Dallas on the dangers of the Red menace." George Michael Evica argues that "Mamantov and Crichton shared a right-wing orientation centered in the Republican Party".

Walt Brown argues in Treachery in Dallas (1995) that Mamantov was "contracted to serve as translator by Jack Crichton of army intelligence and was then called a second time in quick order by the police, and subsequently picked up and driven to police headquarters in a Dallas police squad car, strongly suggestive of a police-intelligence linkup."

Russ Baker claims that these "were far from literal translations of her Russian words and had the effect of implicating her husband in Kennedy's death." George Michael Evica argues in A Certain Arrogance (2006) that Mamantov knew James Herbert Martin, an associate of Jack Ruby.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmamantov.htm

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/11/1173-001.gif

xxcxx

1173-001.gif

What's the connection here, William? Six Flags Over Texas?

--Thomas

I don't know. Doesn't the report say that "Mamantov knew James Herbert Martin, an associate of Jack Ruby."

Well heres an investigative report from Gannaway and Revill of the DPD Special Services/Intelligence Unit on Martin.

Gannaway and Revill happen to be the Army Reserve guys too.

More to come on this.

BK

--Thomas

I don't know. Doesn't the report say that "Mamantov knew James Herbert Martin, an associate of Jack Ruby."

Well heres an investigative report from Gannaway and Revill of the DPD Special Services/Intelligence Unit on Martin.

More to come on this.

BK

There's also Corrigans Tower Building. Corrigan and George D and others, IRS.Ruby, Walker fundraising from Midland but with C.T..B as postal address.

Edited by John Dolva

Doesn't the report say that "Mamantov knew James Herbert Martin, an associate of Jack Ruby."

More to come on this.

BK

James Herbert Martin managed the Inn of the Six Flags, a motel in Arlington where the Secret Service held Marina and Marguerite Oswald for safe-keeping. Peter Dale Scott says the motel was owned by the Great Southwest Corporation controlled by the Bedford Wynne family. He also says Martin later took Marina into his home and became her "agent." The letter says he was was from St. Louis, Mo. and employed in December 1963 for Jack Murphy Company in Dallas at 1700 Corrigan Towers in Dallas.

As it turns out, the Corrigan Company which owned the Corrigan Towers was the biggest real estate company in Dallas at the time. It was, in fact, Jack Ruby's landlord. Leo Francis Corrigan from St. Louis also built the Republic Bank building in Dallas. The same architects who designed the Republic Bank building in Dallas between 1953 and 1954 also designed the new CIA building for Allen Dulles in 1955--as well as the U.N. Building in New York and the Carnegie Endowment building. Leo Corrigan bought a considerable amount of land in 1947 from Lloyd Bentsen's father and brother, who were real estate developers in the Texas Rio Grande Valley.

See http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=704703 and http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=485419

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...ult&id=2681

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=143299

Linda, have you got or can point to a comprehensive listing of building occupants (Coorr.tower) in 62 - 63 ?

Edited by John Dolva

• 4 years later...

--Thomas

Well here's an investigative report from Gannaway and Revill of the DPD Special Services/Intelligence Unit on Martin.

More to come on this.

BK

[emphasis added by T. Graves]

Bill,

Actually, the report doesn't anything about Mamantov's and Martin's knowing of each other, nor does it say anything about Martin's being an associate of Jack Ruby.

http://jfk.ci.dallas...11/1173-001.gif

But all that stuff is in John Simkin's post #2 (above), the relevant part of which I quote here:

"Walt Brown argues in Treachery in Dallas (1995) that Mamantov was 'contracted to serve as translator by Jack Crichton of army intelligence and was then called a second time in quick order by the police, and subsequently picked up and driven to police headquarters in a Dallas police squad car, strongly suggestive of a police-intelligence linkup.'

Russ Baker claims that these 'were far from literal translations of her [Marina's] Russian words and had the effect of implicating her husband in Kennedy's death.' George Michael Evica argues in A Certain Arrogance (2006) that Mamantov knew James Herbert Martin, an associate of Jack Ruby."

[emphasis added by T. Graves]

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves