The Education Forum

Where in the World is Davis Von Pain?

Blair Dobson

I call him all kinds of names on here...Darren, Dennis etc....Just so I can get away with calling him "names" and make it more amusing...

If you resort to bullying a bully with bully tactics, they win. If you gently make them look more and more absurd, they usually stop. we'll see.

he will pop up with the "you are a strange person" routine sooner or later...

thing is, reality and common sense can sometimes have the overwhelming effect of nullifying contrarians and bullies...

its why Posner stammers like a schoolgirl with her hands in the lunchmoney bucket...he knows he is wrong.

How much media mileage would Posner get as a CT theorist for example?

Edited by Blair Dobson

While I don't agree with Mr. DVP's lone nut theory, his enourmous contribution of historic video's on JFK's Presidency cannot be disputed. His youtube pages are top notch information and it's amazing how he's managed to dig up all this documenation. No reason to get personal against anyone here. Everyone respects others opinions in this forum.

Edited by Rodney Rivers

While I don't agree with Mr. DVP's lone nut theory, his enourmous contribution of historic video's on JFK's Presidency cannot be disputed. His youtube pages are top notch information and it's amazing how he's managed to dig up all this documenation. No reason to get personal against anyone here. Everyone respects others opinions in this forum.

true on all points.

Dennis has a great youtube page and is a diligent researcher. In fact, I have learned a ton from the stuff he has taken the time to post there.

He is to be commended on his work in this respect, all sarcasm aside..

DVP is a valuble resource.

In fact, I found his youtube posts well before knowing who he was here and was surprised to find him on the side of the LN camp...

This is in fun and certainly not mean spirited whatsoever.

So that being said, I am sending a big friendly hug out to Derrick Von Poyne...I mean Dennis...

PM me your addy, and I will mail you some 'stache wax for xmas..

MUAH!

His youtube pages are top notch...

Agree that getting a "collection" together and making them available to the masses is commendable but… youtube is actually the worst POS site for uploading video because every video is re-encoded during the upload process. The process is not "lossless" - data meaning "detail" is lost. I think every video we can get our hands on should have the highest possible digital copy available for download for research. Films and video deteriorate over time and I'm worried that the movies squirreled away on shelves, film racks and museums are losing detail which could help us sometime in the future. I recently viewed a DVD copy of "Executive Action" which utilizes many of the films we have been examining (such as the news video with "prayer-man") and to my amazement the snippets of what I know to be much longer film are in much better condition than the ones available to me now. Is it the re-encoding or the age of the video and film that's made a difference? I don't know.

YouTube is actually the worst POS site for uploading video because every video is re-encoded during the upload process.

I agree with you to an extent, Chris. The YouTube processing and converting of the videos does dilute the PQ to a degree. But in my experience, it's never been a major loss in quality (in either video or audio).

Of course, I normally upload really old stuff from the 1960s, which often isn't exactly Blu-ray quality to begin with, so the "loss" factor in the PQ is negligible in those instances.

Edited by David Von Pein

David,

I wasn't making the comment as a "Knock" on you at all for your collection. Quite the contrary, I applaud the work you've done to make those voices and scenes available. I just happen to know quite a bit about digital video and tape (...and have just enough knowledge of film to make a fool of myself). I've been really frustrated at my own inability to find high quality images and video for research. With the exception of some versions Zapruder's film, there is very little available to work with. We have the technology to make really high quality transfers - I hope all the multimedia we have gets archive quality treatment before it disappears entirely and all we're left with is small low-res copies.