The Education Forum

General Maxwell D. Taylor

Jim Root

As Chief of staff of the US Army General Taylor had four major crisis to deal with, Little Rock, Lebanon, Taiwan and Berlin.

In two of those cases (Little Rock and Taiwan) Edwin Anderson Walker was the Army's man selected to handle the situation.

While Commander of United States Forces in Berlin (1949 - 1951) Taylor was closely associated with John J. McCloy (US High Commissioner for Germany) and the two were avid tennis players.

Taylor retired from the Army in June of 1959 and wrote a book, The Uncertain Trumpet, were he voiced his concern about the direction of the US Military. He was not happy with the Eisenhower Administration and how he had been treated as Chief of Staff.

With the election of John F. Kennedy, Taylor had a reemergence after the Bay of Pigs and was brought back into the Military as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. If ever there was a big winner in the election of John F. Kennedy in was General Taylor. It appears that the Kennedy family was very grateful for his service. Bobby Kennedy named one of his sons Maxwell Taylor Kennedy.

Just coincidence?

Jim Root

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mdtaylor.htm

As Chief of staff of the US Army General Taylor had four major crisis to deal with,  Little Rock, Lebanon, Taiwan and Berlin.

In two of those cases (Little Rock and Taiwan) Edwin Anderson Walker was the Army's man selected to handle the situation....

Taylor retired from the Army in June of 1959 and wrote a book, The Uncertain Trumpet, were he voiced his concern about the direction of the US Military.  He was not happy with the Eisenhower Administration and how he had been treated as Chief of Staff.

With the election of John F. Kennedy, Taylor had a reemergence after the Bay of Pigs and was brought back into the Military as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  If ever there was a big winner in the election of John F. Kennedy in was General Taylor.  It appears that the Kennedy family was very grateful for his service.  Bobby Kennedy named one of his sons Maxwell Taylor Kennedy.

Just coincidence?

Jim Root

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mdtaylor.htm

If the above information regarding Walker's leadership at Little Rock is correct, given the civil rights issue at stake, it is strange that he would have to be institutionalized after allegedly inciting to riot at the integration of Ole' Miss in '62. This is the first I've heard of Walker's involvement at the Central High School integration riot in Little Rock. Strange man to choose for that job.

Max Taylor's Uncertain Trumpet provided the framework embraced by JFK to get away from Ike's policy of Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD), and replace it with the more postmodern Gradual Escalation.

Tim

Tim

There are many strange twists and turns to the life of General Walker. I have spent years investigating them (part time of course) driven by the simple fact that the Warren Commission did not feel the need to go into his military background because everybody knew who he was (I didn't). I am a teacher who loves military history and when I first learned of Walker (after reading the Warren Report, with the interest sparked by the movie JFK) I was surprized by how little Walker had been researched. When I first saw that he had commanded the First Special Services Force, 3rd Regiment, then the Force itself (it was such an elite group) I gained an insatiable interest in his role in the assassination of JFK.

Jim Root

FYI The two letters of correspondance that I posted between McCloy and Walker....I was so dumb that I didn't even realize who McCloy was when I found them. Later I became more intrigued when they were both (McCloy and Walker) present for the Battle of Kiska. But that will have to be another topic that will tie in another coincidence.

If the above information regarding Walker's leadership at Little Rock is correct, given the civil rights issue at stake, it is strange that he would have to be institutionalized after allegedly inciting to riot at the integration of Ole' Miss in '62. This is the first I've heard of Walker's involvement at the Central High School integration riot in Little Rock. Strange man to choose for that job. (Tim Carroll)

Indeed, Tim.

Here is Walker (left) with William Kuhn patrolling the Little Rock school.

James

If the above information regarding Walker's leadership at Little Rock is correct, given the civil rights issue at stake, it is strange that he would have to be institutionalized after allegedly inciting to riot at the integration of Ole' Miss in '62.  This is the first I've heard of Walker's involvement at the Central High School integration riot in Little Rock.  Strange man to choose for that job. (Tim Carroll)

Indeed, Tim.

Here is Walker (left) with William Kuhn patrolling the Little Rock school.

James

The Administration in order to penalize Gen. Walker and what he represented politically in Germany, transfered him within the military. His ultra-rightist civilian counterparts created such a 'stir' that the Administration placed a Muzzle-The-Military order to further silence Walker and his counterparts, {JBS} et al. This brought about his resignation so he could 'speak out' freely. Walker further refused to accept a military pension! Both actions were designed to embarrass Kennedy's Administration in furtherance of the ultra's revolution.

H.Dean

A side note; Kennedy would not use Black troops in Little Rock.

H.Dean

Go figure; in 1957 during the Central High School violence in Little Rock, Kennedy was a first term senator. FYI: senators don't have the authority to use troops, "Black" or otherwise. But if they could have, or if in Harry's imagination Kennedy did deliberately refrain from using "Black troops in Little Rock," what would be his point about that?

I don't mean to have to correct him, and would prefer not to have to after the nonsensical, if not delusional attacks I received from Harry on the Triple Underpass thread, but left unmolested, younger students of history might believe some of this outlandishly misleading history. It's bad enough that he deliberately obstructs the level of discussion I seek to promote. He previously claimed I had called him senile, which I hadn't, but now I would have to say that would be the kindest explanation for his behavior.

Tim

Edited by Tim Carroll

It now seems that Maxwell Taylor, John McCloy, David Morales, Ted Shackley and William Harvey were all in Germany in 1951.

It is interesting that JFK brought in Taylor and McClone after the Bay of Pigs disaster. I am not sure who advised him to do this but it was supposed to be an attempt to reduce the power of right-wing elements in the CIA. This does not seem to have happened.

It is worth noting that Taylor served as Chairman of the Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board (1965-1969).

Just a few words on Walker. On his return to the United States in 1951 he became commander of the Arkansas Military District in Little Rock. As a supporter of the John Birch Society, he was totally opposed to school desegragation. However, as commander of the Arkansas Military District he was forced to implement the orders of Dwight Eisenhower.

In October 1959 Walker was appointed commander of the 24th Infantry Division in Europe and stationed in Augsburg, Germany. In April 1961 Walker was accused of indoctrinating his troops with right-wing literature from the John Birch Society. With the agreement of JFK, Defense Secretary Robert S. McNamara relieved Walker of his command and announced an investigation into the affair. Kennedy was accused of trying to suppress the anti-Communist feelings of the military. Walker resigned from the army in protest about the way he had been treated.

In September 1961 Walker organized the protests against the enrollment of James Meredith at the University of Mississippi. Another incident the following year resulted in two reporters being killed. Attorney General Robert Kennedy responded by issuing a warrant for Walker's arrest on the charges of seditious conspiracy, insurrection, and rebellion.

Walker now became a leading figure in the fight against what he considered to be the liberal establishment. Based in Dallas, he gave many speeches around the country denouncing communism and liberalism. In February 1962 Walker stood for governor of Texas. Although he gained the support of Barry Goldwater, Walker finished last and John Connally went on to be governor.

Edwin Walker died in Dallas on 31st October 1993. The Major General Edwin A. Walker Society was started in 1999 as a "closed, anti-Communist association of active duty and retired officers and noncommissioned officers who have taken upon themselves the mission of combating the communistic forces of Cultural Marxism, multiculturalism, the United Nations and Boshevist influences in the military".

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAmccloyJ.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKtaylorM.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmccone.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKwalker.htm

I guess this can be filed under useless information but one of the soldiers under Walker in Little Rock was Dan Burros. In that strange world of Lee Harvey Oswald's address book, there was a listing for Dan Burros. I haven't looked at it years, but I believe the address was American National Party, New York.

Burros was a right wing gadfly. He at one time was a member of the National States Right Party, American Nazi Party, KKK, and Minutemen. In 1962, he and John Patler (who later assassinated Rockwell) split with Rockwell's American Nazi Party to form their own 2 man org called the American National Party.

I'm perplexed on how Oswald even knew about these guys.

Dave

H.Dean

Go figure; in 1957 during the Central High School violence in Little Rock, Kennedy was a first term senator. FYI: senators don't have the authority to use troops, "Black" or otherwise. But if they could have, or if in Harry's imagination Kennedy did deliberately refrain from using "Black troops in Little Rock," what would be his point about that?

I don't mean to have to correct him, and would prefer not to have to after the nonsensical, if not delusional attacks I received from Harry on the Triple Underpass thread, but left unmolested, younger students of history might believe some of this outlandishly misleading history. It's bad enough that he deliberately obstructs the level of discussion I seek to promote. He previously claimed I had called him senile, which I hadn't, but now I would have to say that would be the kindest explanation for his behavior.

Tim

Hay Tim Boy, My error, it was Eisenhower, not Kennedy who did not use Black troops in Little Rock. I was not answering your post but that of James Richards, in any case if one checks back on what you say about senile & etc; you will be found in the least to be in error!

Anyway boy let us curve-off here and never speak to, or about one another again, and Tim boy you honestly should read that CD that you raised heck about {YROJ Connection}. When you went on the attack against it I naturally though you were a card carrying Birch Society defender. You come off to others like somekind of an angry-come-lately, most here will not tell you that truth boy as most feel you a little bully swinging your sword at windmills.

So until never again boy,

H. Dean

"Hay Tim Boy, My error, it was Eisenhower, not Kennedy who did not use Black troops in Little Rock. I was not answering your post but that of James Richards, in any case if one checks back on what you say about senile & etc; you will be found in the least to be in error!

H. Dean"

Any historian who deliberately and provably resorts to misquoting is not a historian at all. I have never applied the term "senile" or "senility" to anyone on this forum, ever. When someone once erroneously alluded to my use of the word, I immediately posted this correction, in all caps and color:

I NEVER SAID "SENILE"

I've never applied that terminology to any individual and wouldn't. To deliberately be falsely accused is offensive; especially by someone who is conveniently distracting from the question about his racial issue.

Tim

Edited by Tim Carroll

deleted

Edited by Tim Carroll

The birchers were the sincere true believers,

and Edwin Walker was their man..

creepy

MAXWELL TAYLOR 1965-1969

The Joint cheif and FIOB the foreign intelligence oversight board chairman.

Well, that says a lot, Joint Chiefs and FOAIB for the President, Johnson.

General Taylor was a crucial linchpin in the 1960's

era loosening of relationships between the CIA and Defense.

Operation Phoenix and general commando ops were smoothly

fronted and supported by armed forces, under the

political leadership of Taylor (Guenthr Lewy, America in Vietnam 1974).

Taylor was crucial to the new easy front interface of military and covert civilian ops, and he set the stage for a series of exposes (Colby, Church, Rockefeller) of proprietaries and illegal domestic MI and CIA activities, runaway illegalities...

Taylor was a Cabinet Level advisor as described in the 25th amendment.

He and Marshall Carter inherited the censored and classified system from

the WWII generation of General Marshall and Mark Clark, and ran it into a mixed and poorly compartmentalized "rogue Elephant" with high classificatory and surveillance and self-proclaimed executive domestic prerogatives.

The Vietnam War's top political General Maxwell Taylor is on the short list, here, for our purposes, in this context.

Shanet

Edited by Shanet Clark

Shanet

In Col. Aaron Bank's book, "From OSS to Green Berets," a discription of the role played by Taylor in the development of this group of professional soldiers is given.

The Green Beret training first began at Ft. Bragg (Edwin Walker was stationed at Bragg at the time) and (several years later) when fully established as a seperate unit was then called the 7th Special Forces Group. The "Honor and the Heritage" of the First Special Services Force (a unit that had been commanded by Col. Walker) was passed to Col. Edwards in a special two day ceremony in 1960. All the former members of the FSSF were invited to this ceremony (guest of Honor being Maj. Gen. Robert Frederick, the first force commander).

Colby was an easy convert to this type of operation, having been a member of the 99th Battalion (later commanded by Walker) who was recruited to the OSS. As a matter of fact some 100 men from the 99th went to the OSS.

You also must not forget that Maxwell Taylor is well known for his covert mission to Rome during WWII to negotiate the surrender of Italy. His fearless activity behind enemy lines brought great praise from Eisenhower and led to his promotion to the command of the "Screaming Eagles" for the initial D Day assault. (Maxwell Taylor was the 1st US General in France during the invasion of Normandy)

Taylor pushed for "Ranger" training during the Korean War (Walker was in charge) and continued to push for "Special Forces" that could operate behind enemy lines throughout his career.

Jim Root

Thank you Jim

that is exactly the kind of rich factual detail this forum is known for.

Taylor did'nt emerge in se Asia -- he and his generation had strong WWII

experiences, and his emergence was earned in a merit based way.

But informal relations for recombining overseas, military and intel projects under army, corporate and proprietary cover, Maxwell Taylor made sweeping

allowances the norm, and did not give proper oversight,

even Britains conservative journalis Guenter Lewy states this.

This is also the era of systematic and gross overestimates of the Soviet

national economy, technology level and military readiness.

Chronic and fateful overestimation. Political manipulation of joint staff plans.

This set the stage for weak oversight of FOIB and weak oversight of

National Security Council and Advisor.

I.E. Havoc, as we had under Nixon/Kissinger/Haig

Havoc under Tenet, havoc under poindexter and casey, havoc....etc to today...

shanet

Shanet

In Col. Aaron Bank's book,  "From OSS to Green Berets," a discription of the role played by Taylor in the development of this group of professional soldiers is given.

The Green Beret training first began at Ft. Bragg (Edwin Walker was stationed at Bragg at the time) and (several years later) when fully established as a seperate unit was then called the 7th Special Forces Group.  The "Honor and the Heritage" of the First Special Services Force (a unit that had been commanded by Col. Walker) was passed to Col. Edwards in a special two day ceremony in 1960.  All the former members of the FSSF were invited to this ceremony (guest of Honor being Maj. Gen. Robert Frederick, the first force commander).

Colby was an easy convert to this type of operation, having been a member of the 99th Battalion (later commanded by Walker) who was recruited to the OSS.  As a matter of fact some 100 men from the 99th went to the OSS.

You also must not forget that Maxwell Taylor is well known for his covert mission to Rome during WWII to negotiate the surrender of Italy.  His fearless activity behind enemy lines brought great praise from Eisenhower and led to his promotion to the command of the "Screaming Eagles" for the initial D Day assault.  (Maxwell Taylor was the 1st US General in France during the invasion of Normandy)

Taylor pushed for "Ranger" training during the Korean War (Walker was in charge) and continued to push for "Special Forces" that could operate behind enemy lines throughout his career.

Jim Root

Tim boy you honestly should read that CD that you raised heck about {YROJ Connection}. When you went on the attack against  it I naturally though you were a card carrying Birch Society defender. So until never again boy,

H. Dean

Harry, old man,

Shameless; trying to sell product, again. And when I take exception to using this forum to hawk a product, I'm a card carrying Birch Society defender. So "never again" pimp your yahoo products at me. I assume from your words that you won't direct anymore posts to me. And if you quote me in one of yours, then don't act like a little girl, telling me it wasn't directed to me. This is a forum. Go peddle your ass elsewhere.

Tim