The Education Forum

South knoll shooter in Cancellare?

Ron Ecker

In his description of Cancellare's first photo in POTP, Richard Trask writes, "At least one assassination buff believes to have located just to the right of a tree near the (south knoll) parking lot what he sees and identifies as '. . . a distinct figure clearly resembling a man holding a rifle-like object.'" The source Trask cites is Edgar F. Tatro, "Who's Afraid of the Grassy Knoll South?", Continuing Inquiry 7/22/81, pp. 10-11.

I looked at the Cancellare photo that Lee Forman posted a while back, and found the figure being referred to. He's under the second tree from the underpass. In the crop shown below, the head in the foreground is the man standing in front of Cheryl McKinnon on the north knoll.

southknollfigure.jpg

It seems to me that if this figure was indeed a shooter, he would not still be holding his rifle up in that fashion instead of having already concealed it. But it's certainly an interesting figure.

Guest Stephen Turner
In his description of Cancellare's first photo in POTP, Richard Trask writes, "At least one assassination buff believes to have located just to the right of a tree near the (south knoll) parking lot what he sees and identifies as '. . . a distinct figure clearly resembling a man holding a rifle-like object.'" The source Trask cites is Edgar F. Tatro, "Who's Afraid of the Grassy Knoll South?", Continuing Inquiry 7/22/81, pp. 10-11.

I looked at the Cancellare photo that Lee Forman posted a while back, and found the figure being referred to. He's under the second tree from the underpass. In the crop shown below, the head in the foreground is the man standing in front of Cheryl McKinnon on the north knoll.

southknollfigure.jpg

It seems to me that if this figure was indeed a shooter, he would not still be holding his rifle up in that fashion instead of having already concealed it. But it's certainly an interesting figure.

Looks like somebody practising karate to me. shadows and imagination can create ghosts from the ether. Approx what time was this photo taken?

Approx what time was this photo taken?

It had to be less than a minute after the shooting, as the Newmans and McKinnon were still on the ground and a crowd had not yet appeared at the knoll.

Guest Stephen Turner

Approx what time was this photo taken?

It had to be less than a minute after the shooting, as the Newmans and McKinnon were still on the ground and a crowd had not yet appeared at the knoll.

Good call, even 30 seconds is still an AWFUL long time for a pro to be standing around with his rifle on show like that. whats Lee's take on this?

Hey Ron.

Look at the car, anyone inside. ?

to jump in here with some impressions...

There does seem to be something masking the corner of the cab (I'm assuming it's a pickup truck (or 'ute' as its called in australia)). Whether it's vegetation or a person is hard to say (for me). I think that the cab corner being masked indicates it is on the outside and not in the cab?

The illumination from the roof of the cab is cut off in the middle and at this area and below appears to be a person leaning up against the pickup. The angle of sun would explain the different light areas on this figure.

(Craig wrote an interesting summary in another thread about the introduction of 'anomalies' through enhancement, this of course is also a thing to consider)

I find it hard to believe that amongst the people in Dealey Plaza that day all the photographers were in the northern half. There were plenty of witnesses in the south, where are their photos?