The Education Forum

Ruby, Tippit and Weissman at the Carousel Club

From the Warren Commission Report (p.591, New York Times edition)

Speculation.-Patrolman J. D. Tippit, Bernard Weissman, and Jack Ruby met by prearrangement on November 14, 1963 at the Carousel Club.

Commission Finding.-Investigation has revealed no evidence to support the allegation. Nor is there any evidence that any of the men knew each other.

Excerpts from an FBI document from the National Archives (#180-10020-10469), dated March 28, 1967. The original document is a teletype and is in all caps.

"Bureau has received a letter from a Mr. Lawrence Schiller, Alskog, Inc., Los Angeles, dated March Fifteen last ...

Schiller has advised he is in possession of the name and location of Mark Lane's informant who allegedly furnished Lane information. He was supposedly present and overheard an alleged meeting between Jack Ruby, Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippit, and Bernard Weissman, On Nov. Fourteen, Sixtythree...

Schiller interviewed by Los Angeles, March Twentytwo last, and indicated that Mark Lane's confidential informant is Paul Bridewell aka Phil Burns, and that Bridewell currently located somewhere in Oregon, possibly Portland or Rainier. Exact location of Bridewell is probably known to one John Sutton, who formerly was in radio business in Dallas...

According to Schiller, Mark Lane learned of identity of Bridewell and info in possession of Bridewell from Theodore (Thayer) Waldo, formerly associated with Fort Worth, Texas, newspaper, "Sun Telegraph"...

Waldo indicates that about a week after assassination Sutton asked to meet him at the Dallas Press Club and at that time Sutton indicated he knew a man who witnessed a meeting in the Carousel Club between Ruby, Officer J.D. Tippit, and a Bernard Weissman, but who was reluctant to come forward with this information [over one line redacted]

Waldo indicateds that on or about Dec. Seven, Sixtythree, he met Sutton at the Dallas Press Club and was introduced to Phil Burns, White male, age late thirties, five feet eight, one forty five lbs., chestnut hair, wore glasses and employed by some advertising firm on account of one of Sutton's sponsors. After many assurances that identity would be protected, Burns related that he was acquainted with Ruby [about one line redacted] also that he knew officer Tippit since he had seen him in uniform at the club which apparently was on his beat. Burns indicated he passed a table and Ruby greeted him saying, "You know J.D. here", and Ruby then introduced the other individual as Bernard Weissman from the East. Burns described Weissman as white male, thirtyfive years, black hair, over six feet tall. Burns allegedly returned to his table and Ruby sent him a complimentary drink. -

I do not know at this point if the FBI located Paul Bridewell. I believe that Bridewell may have been using an alias because he was in the Carousel Club with a woman who was not his wife."

FWIW; Although it is by no means certain, at a glance the identity of the individual named "Bridewell" is most certainly an alias and is more than likely Caroll Jarnagin. - Robert

Mr. WALDO. Well, for several years before joining the Star-Telegram I was abroad as a foreign correspondent in Mexico, Cuba until it was no longer possible to remain in Cuba, and then in the Dominican Republic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSDI Information

THAYER WALDO 31 Oct 1910 01 Jan 1989 XX773 (U.S. Consulate: MEXICO (MEXICO CITY))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The primary question as relates to Mr. Waldo is exactly who was he an asset for? (other than the news organization for whom he reportedly worked)

The primary question as relates to Mr. Waldo is exactly who was he an asset for? (other than the news organization for whom he reportedly worked).

from Thayer Waldo's WC Testimony describing events at Dallas Police Headquarters after the assassination.

"I had talked to my desk at the Star-Telegram, and then I noticed a little flurry of activity, and as I say, during this time several of the high ranking officers, none of whom I knew by name at that time, had come in, and I asked a girl who had been standing with them in Captain King's office, as I recall, just a few minutes, and then came out, "What's going on?" and her answer was, "They found a rifle." I asked, "Where?" and she said, "On the roof of the School Book Depository Building." Of course, I stress this is secondhand information. She is giving it from what she heard from a high ranking official who undoubtedly was told by somebody else. In any case, that information was telephoned to my newspaper and I believe was used in at least one edition. Later it was officially stated, of course, that the rifle had been found on the sixth floor......Waldo also stated "In fact, I Was on the Stemmons Freeway passing the resort motel called "La Cabaria" at the moment that the car radio reported the President is dead." (sic The Cabana Motel?)

from a McAdams website article by Eric Paddon

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/kilgallen.txt

It was Kilgallen, who on September 3, gave the first account of the story Lane

had told the Warren Commission about the alleged "meeting" at the Carousel

Club between Jack Ruby, J.D. Tippit, and Bernard Weissmann (the author of

the anti-Kennedy ad that had upset Ruby on the day of the assassination),

and to her it seemed interesting that Jack Ruby had never flat-out denied

that such a meeting had occurred when he'd been asked about it by the

Warren Commission. Kilgallen also siezed on a bizarre trivality in which

the purloined Ruby testimony indicated that a mysterious "oil man" had

also been linked to the meeting with Tippit and Weissman, but that Lane

had never mentioned such an oil man in his WC testimony, and that

therefore the original story of a Carousel Club meeting had to have been

confirmed by at least one other, unknown source.

From Kilgallen by Lee Israel

"Of the handful of reporters who had the commitment, the clout, the predisposition, and the intrepidity to go after what the government wanted withheld, some were frightened. Thayer Waldo of the Fort Worth Sun-Telegram originally furnished to Mark Lane information that Officer Tippit, Jack Ruby, and Bernard Weissman had met in Ruby's Carousel Club eight days before the assassination. Waldo would not use the story himself. Waldo also discovered that the Dallas chief of police had been surprised by the course finally chosen for the President's motorcade and was unable to fathom why the procession was instructed to take this more vulnerable route. Nor did he use this story, though once again he made the information available to Mark Lane. Thayer Waldo was not minimizing the significance of his information. On the contrary, he told Lane that if he published what he knew, 'there would be real danger to him'."

Thayer Waldo's name doesent appear to turn up on namebase.org and I don't believe he ever testified before another investigative body, although I could be wrong.

The primary question as relates to Mr. Waldo is exactly who was he an asset for? (other than the news organization for whom he reportedly worked).

from Thayer Waldo's WC Testimony describing events at Dallas Police Headquarters after the assassination.

"I had talked to my desk at the Star-Telegram, and then I noticed a little flurry of activity, and as I say, during this time several of the high ranking officers, none of whom I knew by name at that time, had come in, and I asked a girl who had been standing with them in Captain King's office, as I recall, just a few minutes, and then came out, "What's going on?" and her answer was, "They found a rifle." I asked, "Where?" and she said, "On the roof of the School Book Depository Building." Of course, I stress this is secondhand information. She is giving it from what she heard from a high ranking official who undoubtedly was told by somebody else. In any case, that information was telephoned to my newspaper and I believe was used in at least one edition. Later it was officially stated, of course, that the rifle had been found on the sixth floor......Waldo also stated "In fact, I Was on the Stemmons Freeway passing the resort motel called "La Cabaria" at the moment that the car radio reported the President is dead." (sic The Cabana Motel?)

"Of the handful of reporters who had the commitment, the clout, the predisposition, and the intrepidity to go after what the government wanted withheld, some were frightened. Thayer Waldo of the Fort Worth Sun-Telegram originally furnished to Mark Lane information that Officer Tippit, Jack Ruby, and Bernard Weissman had met in Ruby's Carousel Club eight days before the assassination. Waldo would not use the story himself. Waldo also discovered that the Dallas chief of police had been surprised by the course finally chosen for the President's motorcade and was unable to fathom why the procession was instructed to take this more vulnerable route. Nor did he use this story, though once again he made the information available to Mark Lane. Thayer Waldo was not minimizing the significance of his information. On the contrary, he told Lane that if he published what he knew, 'there would be real danger to him'."

Thayer Waldo's name doesent appear to turn up on namebase.org and I don't believe he ever testified before another investigative body, although I could be wrong.

Not unlike the "Ultra Secret", an apparant "ENIGMA", which has far too much in common with other places and events.

Try as I have, his background data is virtually "nil". Which in and of itself tells me something?

To the best of my knowledge Thayer Waldo's name does not appear 'as a title' to any AARB Records not yet declassified, which cannot in my mind lead one to conclude that his name doesent come up elsewhere, the CIA I would think, whether he was in the Agency or not, would seemingly have a 201 file on him, but the maryferrell.org site is temporarily down, at least on my computer. I am sure that there will be more to come.

I believe what separates my outlook from some researchers, is that I believe there are 'gaping chunks' missing in the 'sanitized version' of what went down in DP that day. The examples I would cite would no doubt be attacked without the understandable 'beyond a reasonable doubt' criteria; I don't have a problem with that, its just the fact that if you even accept the premise that 'Oswald did it' it is patently obvious that in addition to the coverup of essential elements (such as CIA's ostensible 'concealment of the Castro Assassination plots) concerning such matters, in addition there has been a deliberate attempt at concealment in reference to fundamental elements of what took place that day.

Example: The fact that the file on - Eugene Brading aka Jim Braden aka John Moulder is still classified, (to the best of my knowledge) makes me leery of claims by those advancing the case that 'the mob did it.'

If that was the case, with Brading's mob background, would his file still be classified?

Another Example, this time from a 'maligned?' researcher John Armstrong whose research led him to discover that "A Dallas telephone company operator in the Whitehall exchange recorded

frequent calls between Ruby and Oswald. A record was kept because

whenever the pay phone in Oswald's rooming house was busy, Ruby would

tell the operator he had an emergency call to make and she would ask

whoever was on the line to get off. In such cases the operator must

make out a slip recording the call. Ruby used this device frequently

enough so the operator remembered the calls.

These "emergency call records" may have been among phone company records

given to the Dallas Police by Raymond Acker. Acker, a Southwestern Bell

employee, provided Dallas Police with phone company records of calls

between Oswald and Ruby. "

Of course, Oswald and Ruby's links never made it past the 'Rumors and Specualtion' section of the Report which leads me to have at best serious reservations about key members of the Commission such as Allen Dulles and Earl Warren, to name but a couple. I realize that the record indicates that several of the lower ranking Commission attorneys became quite frustrated over the way 'things were being handled,' but never resigned because they were IMO operating under the misguided assumption that the heads of the Commission were going committed to reveal the truth, but the rest as they say is history.

Not unlike the "Ultra Secret", an apparant "ENIGMA", which has far too much in common with other places and events.

Try as I have, his background data is virtually "nil". Which in and of itself tells me something?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is however some info:

http://www.xenu.net/archive/go/felix/ch_i6.htm

The general situation was described clearly by Thayer Waldo, American reporter, who wrote in the San Francisco Chronicle concerning the Cuban operation:

"This reporter spent the first half of last year (1960) in Cuba. At that time, with the U.S. Embassy still in operation and fully staffed, eight of its personnel were C.I.A. agents, three worked for the F.B.I. and each of the Armed Services had from one to five operatives assigned to intelligence work.

"No special effort was required to learn these facts or to identify the individuals so engaged. Within thirty days of arrival in Havana, their names and agency affiliations were made known to me, without solicitation, by other correspondents or Embassy employees.

"The latter included one C.I.A. man who volunteered the identities of all three persons accredited to the F.B.I., and a Cuban receptionist, outspokenly pro-Castro, who ticked off the names of six C.I.A. agents - with entire accuracy, a later check confirmed.

"In addition to Embassy staffers, the C.I.A. had a number of operatives (I knew fourteen, but am satisfied there were more) among the large colony of resident U-S. businessmen. One of these, a roofing and installation contractor, had lived in Cuba from the age of six, except for service with the Army' during World War II - as a master sergeant in G-2, military intelligence. Predictably, that known background made the man a prime target for observation by Castro's people when U.S.-Cuban relations began to deteriorate seriously. He was shadowed day and night, his every contact reported. Yet the C.I.A. made him its chief civilian agent in Havana."

Just your old run-of-the-mill news reporter, finding out exactly who all of the assets and agents were.