The Education Forum

Smoking gun ?

Hi all, I'm a "virgin" to this board so please be gentle, Reading thru many of the posts/threads here I've seen many references to a "puff of smoke" coming from a supposed assassin's rifle on the grassy knoll. And yet some time ago I saw a documentary which stated that modern day rifles ( including rifles circa 1960) do NOT emit any such smoke. And that when O.Stone tried to reproduce the smoke for J.F.K. he had to bring in a smoke machine. Now, I'm quite aware there are many bad documentaries out there and I certainly dont belive everything I see on T.V. but I would appreciate some comments from you experts, Thanks, Denis.

I'm not an expert Denis, esp not with firearms. But I think circa 1963 era rifles emitted smoke.

They certainly emitted a strong smell of gun powder, which many witnesses (some mentioned in David Talbot's new book "Brothers" for example) recall smelling as they drove past the grassy knoll.

Edited by Myra Bronstein

Hi all, I'm a "virgin" to this board so please be gentle, Reading thru many of the posts/threads here I've seen many references to a "puff of smoke" coming from a supposed assassin's rifle on the grassy knoll. And yet some time ago I saw a documentary which stated that modern day rifles ( including rifles circa 1960) do NOT emit any such smoke. And that when O.Stone tried to reproduce the smoke for J.F.K. he had to bring in a smoke machine. Now, I'm quite aware there are many bad documentaries out there and I certainly dont belive everything I see on T.V. but I would appreciate some comments from you experts, Thanks, Denis.

Does a photo or film exist that shows smoke from that or another area? I've never seen it. Would it be on the Nix film?

Kathy