The Education Forum

Two CIA agents named William F. Buckley

It wouldn't be the first time we've had more than one person with the same name in this case:

Richard Sprague prosecutor

Richard Sprague computer mag editor

Betty McDonald stipper

Betty McDonald Magnolia Oil

Donald P. Norton - gay piano player

Donald O. Norton - fisherman

Edward L. Keenan - Linguist

Edward L. Keenan - Harvard Russian Dean

Bill Kelly - FBI Agent

Bill Kelly - researcher

BK

Good point. What about these two:

William F. Buckley: born 24th November, 1925 (joined CIA in 1951)

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbuckleyW.htm

William F. Buckley: born 30th May, 1928 (joined the CIA in 1963)

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbuckleyWF.htm

The first Buckley officially left the CIA in 1952 and later played an important role in Operation Mockingbird.

The second Buckley worked for Reagan and Bush during the Iran-Contra operation.

It wouldn't be the first time we've had more than one person with the same name in this case:

Richard Sprague prosecutor

Richard Sprague computer mag editor

Betty McDonald stipper

Betty McDonald Magnolia Oil

Donald P. Norton - gay piano player

Donald O. Norton - fisherman

Edward L. Keenan - Linguist

Edward L. Keenan - Harvard Russian Dean

Bill Kelly - FBI Agent

Bill Kelly - researcher

BK

Good point. What about these two:

William F. Buckley: born 24th November, 1925 (joined CIA in 1951)

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbuckleyW.htm

William F. Buckley: born 30th May, 1928 (joined the CIA in 1963)

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbuckleyWF.htm

The first Buckley officially left the CIA in 1952 and later played an important role in Operation Mockingbird.

The second Buckley worked for Reagan and Bush during the Iran-Contra operation.

Thanks, John...I had never heard of Buckley number two. I went to your

two links AND WAS SURPRISED THAT NEITHER PAGE mentions the OTHER

BUCKLEY. Shouldn't each of the bios mention the other guy? Were they

related? Did I miss something? I only read them once.

Jack

Jack

I am not aware the two men were ever linked together other than the fact that the former CIA Buckley helped to cover up Reagan's Iran activities.

Jack

I am not aware the two men were ever linked together other than the fact that the former CIA Buckley helped to cover up Reagan's Iran activities.

I guess my point was not clear. I suggest that each bio feature a line...

"This William F. Buckley is in no way connected to another CIA employee of the same name."

Not to mention the coincidence otherwise seems to be an error of omission.

Jack

Two CIA officials named George Bush.

"However Bush denies his connections with the CIA. Yet a November 29, 1963 memo from FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover to the State Department's Director of Intelligence and Research uncovered through the Freedom of Information Act describes a briefing given to "George Bush of the Central Intelligence Agency." The memo was written after Lee Harvey Oswald was interrogated about his connections to the Cuban exile community and the CIA.

[32]"

"For his part, Bush claims he never worked for the Agency until he was appointed Director in 1975, and CIA spokesman Bill Devine would "neither confirm nor deny" Bush's role to reporter Joseph McBride of The Nation. Yet when the memo was published, the CIA did an about-face when Agency spokeswoman Sharon Basso told Associated Press that the memo actually referred to a George William Bush, who was a CIA night watchman at the time (hardly a man who would be given such a briefing!). When located and contacted by McBride and Nation editor Victor Navasky, William Bush confirmed that he was definitely not the Bush referred to in the memo. He had simply worked for the CIA for about six months as a coast and landing beach analyst—not a night watchmen—at the time, with a rank of GS-5. In response to questions about the Hoover memo, he replied, "Is that the other George Bush?"

[33]"

Also, there's :

Louis Angel Castillo - Fugitive Programmed Assassin

Louis Castillo - Professional Baseball Player

Jack Rubenstein - Killed LHO

Jack Rubenstein - NYC labor leader

Bill Gulley - WHCA

Bill Gulley - USA

Maurice Bishop - Alias for David Atlee Phillips

Maurice Bishop - Leftest Granada coup leader

Jack Martin - NO Informant

Jack Martin - Filmed LHO in NO

John Martin - Friend of Ruby

John Martin - Latin American Arms dealer (Odio)

BK

Edited by William Kelly

Apologies in advance if I've missed this in a previous post:

The "other" William Buckley was executed after having been taken hostage in (I believe) Beirut.

The whole "twins" thing can be blunted by exposure.

Unless, of course, we do it twice.

Charles

The "other" William Buckley was executed after having been taken hostage in (I believe) Beirut.

Charles

In 1983 William Buckley became CIA station chief in Beirut. On 16th March, 1984, Buckley was kidnapped by the Hezbollah, a fundamentalist Shiite group with strong links to the Khomeini regime. Buckley was tortured and it was soon discovered that he was a senior CIA officer. Buckley eventually signed a 400 page statement detailing his activities in the CIA. He was also videotaped making this confession. William Casey asked Ted Shackley for help in obtaining Buckley’s freedom.

Three weeks after Buckley’s disappearance, President Ronald Reagan signed the National Security Decision Directive 138. This directive was drafted by Oliver North and outlined plans on how to get the American hostages released from Iran and to “neutralize” terrorist threats from countries such as Nicaragua. This new secret counterterrorist task force was to be headed by Shackley’s old friend, General Richard Secord. This was the beginning of the Iran-Contra deal.

Talks had already started about exchanging American hostages for arms. On 30th August, 1985, Israel shipped 100 TOW missiles to Iran. On 14th September they received another 408 missiles from Israel. The Israelis made a profit of $3 million on the deal.

In October, 1985, Congress agreed to vote 27 million dollars in non-lethal aid for the Contras in Nicaragua. However, members of the Ronald Reagan administration decided to use this money to provide weapons to the Contras and the Mujahideen in Afghanistan.

The following month, Ted Shackley traveled to Hamburg where he met General Manucher Hashemi, the former head of SAVAK’s counterintelligence division at the Atlantic Hotel. Also at the meeting on 22nd November was Manucher Ghorbanifar. According to the report of this meeting that Shackley sent to the CIA, Ghorbanifar had “fantastic” contacts with Iran.

At the meeting Shackley told Hashemi and Ghorbanifar that the United States was willing to discuss arms shipments in exchange for the four Americans kidnapped in Lebanon. The problem with the proposed deal was that Buckley was already dead (he had died of a heart-attack while being tortured).

Shackley and his "Secret Team" was worried about what Buckley had told Hezbollah about CIA illegal activities.

Charles

In 1983 William Buckley became CIA station chief in Beirut. On 16th March, 1984, Buckley was kidnapped by the Hezbollah, a fundamentalist Shiite group with strong links to the Khomeini regime. Buckley was tortured and it was soon discovered that he was a senior CIA officer. Buckley eventually signed a 400 page statement detailing his activities in the CIA. He was also videotaped making this confession. William Casey asked Ted Shackley for help in obtaining Buckley's freedom.

Three weeks after Buckley's disappearance, President Ronald Reagan signed the National Security Decision Directive 138. This directive was drafted by Oliver North and outlined plans on how to get the American hostages released from Iran and to "neutralize" terrorist threats from countries such as Nicaragua. This new secret counterterrorist task force was to be headed by Shackley's old friend, General Richard Secord. This was the beginning of the Iran-Contra deal.

Talks had already started about exchanging American hostages for arms. On 30th August, 1985, Israel shipped 100 TOW missiles to Iran. On 14th September they received another 408 missiles from Israel. The Israelis made a profit of $3 million on the deal.

In October, 1985, Congress agreed to vote 27 million dollars in non-lethal aid for the Contras in Nicaragua. However, members of the Ronald Reagan administration decided to use this money to provide weapons to the Contras and the Mujahideen in Afghanistan.

The following month, Ted Shackley traveled to Hamburg where he met General Manucher Hashemi, the former head of SAVAK's counterintelligence division at the Atlantic Hotel. Also at the meeting on 22nd November was Manucher Ghorbanifar. According to the report of this meeting that Shackley sent to the CIA, Ghorbanifar had "fantastic" contacts with Iran.

At the meeting Shackley told Hashemi and Ghorbanifar that the United States was willing to discuss arms shipments in exchange for the four Americans kidnapped in Lebanon. The problem with the proposed deal was that Buckley was already dead (he had died of a heart-attack while being tortured).

Shackley and his "Secret Team" was worried about what Buckley had told Hezbollah about CIA illegal activities.

The Murder that Sparked the CIA Identity Protection Act.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...rack=sto-relcon

Edited by William Kelly