The Education Forum

Assassin! 200 Years of British Political Murder

Ron Ecker

John, were you aware of this book, coming out in October?

Kind of weird, the hardcover is priced at $80, but you can buy the paperback for $16.47.

Decisions, decisions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074532716...1420_pe_snp_168

John, were you aware of this book, coming out in October?

Kind of weird, the hardcover is priced at $80, but you can buy the paperback for $16.47.

Decisions, decisions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074532716...1420_pe_snp_168

Thank you for telling me this. I will write to Pluto and ask for a free copy.

This is what Pluto says of the book:

This book exposes Britain's secret history of political killings, murder and intrigue. For as long as the world has had rulers, there have been plots to assassinate those at the top. Violent death is usually associated with dictatorships and tinpot regimes. Few people know that Britain also has a history of political assassination. This book brings to life the forgotten story of assassination - successful and unsuccessful - over the last 200 years in Britain. From Prime Ministers and politicians to princes, lords and officials of all kinds, Britain's assassination attempts cover a wide variety of figures in some key moments of history. Hernon examines the motivations of the assassins - from political ideologies to simple mental instability. He shows how most attempts originated from isolated individuals or fringe groups, rather than broad political will. Ultimately, Hernon argues, assassination remains the resort of the outsider with poor political judgement. Assassination attempts have never - in this country - brought about the changes the assassin wishes. They have often served to undermine civil liberties. But they do provide a fascinating account of how the will of the individual has occasionally and dramatically intervened into the lives of those in power. This is a popular narrative history of assassination plots in Britain over the last two hundred years. It is a riveting and thought provoking read. The author was at the scene of a number of the more recent assassination attempts, and draws on his own notes and those of other witnesses. Hernon's previous book, "Riot!" (Pluto Press, 2006), received excellent reviews from the BBC and the "Guardian".

Guest Stephen Turner
He shows how most attempts originated from isolated individuals or fringe groups, rather than broad political will. Ultimately, Hernon argues, assassination remains the resort of the outsider with poor political judgement.

It would appear that Britain, like our American Cousins, is incapable of political assassination originating from the elite, we are just to damn civilised old Boy.

Guest David Guyatt
He shows how most attempts originated from isolated individuals or fringe groups, rather than broad political will. Ultimately, Hernon argues, assassination remains the resort of the outsider with poor political judgement.

It would appear that Britain, like our American Cousins, is incapable of political assassination originating from the elite, we are just to damn civilised old Boy.

Here, here, Steve.

The worst that has ever happened in Blighty, when a fella strays from the path of his duty, is to be blackballed from his club and his port allowance cancelled.

That's invariably sends the right signal.

David

Guest Stephen Turner

Here, here, Steve.

The worst that has ever happened in Blighty, when a fella strays from the path of his duty, is to be blackballed from his club and his port allowance cancelled.

That's invariably sends the right signal.

David

LOL, As Dr David Kelly would no doubt attest to, were he still with us, After all our leaders are not some sort of South American meat packing glitteratti, but solid, oxbridge types. No homicide at the Home Office.

Guest Stephen Turner
Perhaps the book should be entitled "Lone Nut! 200 Years of British Political Murder."

I am going to write the definative work on MI5, I currently have two working titles, 1, "MI5, infringing your civil liberties for 120 years," or the snappier, 2 "MI5, we know where you live!!"

LOL, As Dr David Kelly would no doubt attest to, were he still with us, After all our leaders are not some sort of South American meat packing glitteratti, but solid, oxbridge types. No homicide at the Home Office.

Norman Baker MP will be publishing a book next month on the death of Dr. David Kelly. Some of the information in the book came from forum members. I do not think Tony Blair will be very pleased with the content of the "Strange Death of Dr. David Kelly". I am hoping to persuade Norman to discuss the book on the forum.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-Death-Davi...8358&sr=1-1

This is the way the publisher describes the book.

The high-profile death of David Kelly is still regarded by many as suspicious, and the events surrounding it as 'unfinished business'. Norman Baker has carried out extensive research, and argues that the verdict of suicide is not credible. The traditional inquest was replaced by the Hutton Report, which proved unsatisfactory in so many ways.The book looks in detail at the motives for the unlawful death of Dr Kelly and the various possibilities of who could be involved - before sensationally coming to the most likely scenario, to be revealed for the first time on publication.The book also analyses and criticises the official process instigated after his death, putting the entire episode into its British political context, and looking at the actions of government, particularly in relation to the Iraq war.

The traditional inquest was replaced by the Hutton Report, which proved unsatisfactory in so many ways.

That tactic certainly sounds familiar. I recall a murder in Texas where the usual state investigation was replaced by a commission (the members of which included at least two suspects in the case). To say that the commission report was "unsatisfactory" is an understatement.

Guest David Guyatt

John, did you see your mate Baker on Disptahces last night? Quite an interesting programme for a change, that focused on financial Parliamntary abuse.

If they're not careful, Parliamentarians will have their port allowance sequestered...

David

John, did you see your mate Baker on Disptahces last night? Quite an interesting programme for a change, that focused on financial Parliamntary abuse.

If they're not careful, Parliamentarians will have their port allowance sequestered...

David

I did. It was a good account of corruption in politics. Norman Baker has rightly been called the most honest politician in the House of Commons.

Guest David Guyatt
I am going to write the definative work on MI5

Sorry Steve, it's already been done.

The definitive book was published deeply hidden in a private members Parliamentary Bill that was unopposed and brought to the House in a late Friday afternoon session, that was overtly aimed at increasing the tax free gratis liquid refreshments entitlement of all members that is available in the various hosteleries of the House. It was camouflaged behind the cunning title:

"Private Members Propensity for Peddling Personal Peculiums and the Perspicacity of Parliamentary Pensions Pedagogery".

Bloody typical!

Known as "Phew! for those with a tongue-twisting ailment.

David

Guest Stephen Turner
I am going to write the definative work on MI5

Sorry Steve, it's already been done.

David

Damn, damn, and double damn, indeed, if you have a moment, thrice damned. That was going to be my bloody pension.