The Education Forum

Original AP Zapruder stills to be auctioned

Friday 19th October 2007

Chris Cheesman

A 1950 photograph of Lisa Fonssagrives-Penn, described as the 'world's first supermodel', goes under the hammer at Christie's in London on 13 November. It will be joined by still images from a film capturing the fatal shots fired at President John F Kennedy in Dallas, Texas on 22 November 1963.

The JFK shooting was caught on film by amateur cameraman Abraham Zapruder who died in 1970.

'A series of stills made from the film by the Associated Press (AP) agency were distributed to the press, with few originals surviving to the present day,' said a spokesman for Christie's.

'Appearing on the international market for what is thought to be the first time is a set of six original 1963 prints by AP, including an image of Jackie Kennedy climbing from the back seat of the car in desperation to escape the gunfire,' added the auction house.

The set of prints of the JFK shooting is expected to fetch up to £7,000.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lfsearc...;searchbtn.y=11

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/...ews_150431.html

Let's test the limits of moderators' moderation.

" ... an image of Jackie Kennedy climbing from the back seat of the car in desperation to escape the gunfire" is how Christies describes that awful Z-frame.

Lenny Bruce put it this way: Jackie was "hauling XXX to save her XXX."

So who's offended?

And why?

Charles

Edited by Kathy Beckett

Kathy,

I love you, but where do I begin?

Do you have the slightest clue who Lenny Bruce was? Or why it isn't likely that he will join this forum?

How about Alan Ginsberg?

Are you prepared to edit the following passage from America?

America I've given you all and now I'm nothing.

America two dollars and twenty-seven cents January 17, 1956.

I can't stand my own mind.

America when will we end the human war?

Go XXXX yourself with your atom bomb

Do you demand that we protect our precious, fragile youth from art?

Art that speaks to our deepest concerns?

ANY art?

This, in a nutshell, is the problem with "moderation" on this forum and with those who would preserve at all costs the virgin ears of our toddling cannon fodder.

Charles Drago

Edited by Kathy Beckett

Charles, Kathy wrote about Bruce: " . .had he been a member of this Forum, would have been under the same rules as everyone else."

I think it unfair of you to assume from that post that Kathy does not know who Bruce was or that he is long gone.

But I do not think poetry becomes "art" merely through the insertion of obscenities.