The Education Forum

arraignment

Does anyone know when the decision was first made to arraign Oswald for the assassination and when/if this news was released prior to event - either publicly via the media, or privately to any individual?
Greg,

I don't recall the citation, but you'll find the decision was made on or just before 11:30 and the reporters were unofficially briefed moments later. They were told that Oswald was being charged, so that's how KRLD's Bill Mercer knew and he's the reporter who told Oswald at the midnight conference, "You have been charged."

What Bill and the others did not know at the time was that there was a delay, and Oswald wasn't charged until 1:30am.

Gary Mack

Gary, I know the citations you're referring to. What was done at around 11:30 (give or take) was that the charges were filed. Oswald was not needed for that. They then had a brief meeting about the arraignment.

What's new to me here is anything about any delay. What delay are you referring to? The chronology was that the charges were filed - then a meeting about the arraignment - then press conference - then ? - followed by the 1:30am arraignment - which btw, may not have even happened (though it makes no difference to me, or where I'm going with all this, if it did).

What I'm looking for is when the decision was first made to arraign him - and if that was publicly or privately announced to anyone prior to it happening.

Another reply from GM

Greg,

My understanding is that prisoners were usually arraigned as soon as possible after charges are filed, but in this case, two hours passed before Oswald was arraigned.

There's an interesting piece of sound TV news film shot in the third floor hallway in which one or two reporters asked Wade if they could see Oswald, saying they had just arrived and had not yet observed the suspect. Fritz was present and he and Wade discussed the request. Both agreed the reporters could be accomodated, so word was passed to get everything organized.

Wade then held a news conference after Oswald was taken out, so that tied everything up until about 12:30. Still, that doesn't really explain the one hour delay afterward.

Gary

Thanks Gary.

Anyone know who the reporters were?

Is this footage available on the net?

Have all people visible in the film been identified?

Greg,

Does anyone know when the decision was first made to arraign Oswald for the assassination and when/if this news was released prior to event - either publicly via the media, or privately to any individual?

I don't know about the timing, but I had been under the impression that Lee Harvey Oswald was arraigned for the murder of JFK around 1:30 in the morning of November 23rd.

However, I read in Anthony Summer's book, "Conspiracy", that he says that LHO was NOT arraigned for this crime.

Sure enough, in CD 5, page 400 there is an undated FBI document that says, "No arraignment on the charges in connection with the death of President Kennedy was held inasmuch as such arraignment was not necessary in view of the previous charges filed against Oswald and for which he was arraigned."

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=405

And in CD 1084, page 11 is a letter from Hoover dated June 10, 1964 with attachments that reads, "Assistant DA Alexander...authorized the filing of a complaint...however, arraignment on this latter charge was not deemed necessary in view of the previous charges against Oswald and the prior arraignment." (for Tippit's murder).

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=15

So, was he arraigned or not, and if not, what the hell was taking place around 1:30 on the morning of November 23rd?

It's interesting that even though both CD 5 and the synopsis that Hoover provided with his letter in CD 1084 are both undated; in the memo that comprises CD 5, it says that the "following information was obtained by Hosty from the office of Will Fritz on November 25th.

That's two days after the fact.

The locals (Fritz, Curry, Wade, Johnston) are saying Oswald was arraigned. The federals are saying he was not.

Steve Thomas