The Education Forum

Bell's white lamppost on Houston Street

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remarkable Bell frames.

Jack

Jack, are you saying that you have never seen how sunlight illuminates objects on film and makes them appear to look different than they looked with the naked eye and in person. And in case you don't know it ... those are not dark stripes painted on the sides of the building behind the lamp-post, but rather shadow lines that were not that dark in real life.

From Hughes' film.

chris

Thanks, Chris! That's IT. But I still don't understand what it is or

how he was able to photograph it from so close with a TELEPHOTO

LENS and have it remain in focus.

Any idea what is on top of the post? It is 3-dimensional.

Jack

From Hughes' film.

chris

Thanks, Chris! That's IT. But I still don't understand what it is or

how he was able to photograph it from so close with a TELEPHOTO

LENS and have it remain in focus.

Any idea what is on top of the post? It is 3-dimensional.

Jack

Given your expert status based on your vast experience as a photographer these two questions should be a slam dunk for you Jack. And in the process they will answer your query.

You have a 4x5 camera, a 2 1/4 camera, a 35mm camera and an 8mm camera. Each has a telephoto lens that "sees" a 20 degree horizontal field of view. Each camera takes a picture of the exact same subject, from the exact same spot, focused at the same exact point in the scene, and using the exact same f-stop...lets say f16.

The resulting images are all enlarged to an 8x10 inch print. Given the above, will all of the images show the same depth of field? If yes or no, WHY?

Edited by Craig Lamson

Bell and Hughes movies appear to agree with each other.

What's strange is the endcap (arrow) on the pole is below the top sign.

Whereas on Sunday Nov 24, 1963 (black/white frame), the 2 signs are below the endcap.

The b/w footage was taken while people on Houston St. were waiting for Oswald's transfer.

chris

Something is wrong in signland.

Besides the endcap problem, the bottom edge of the top signs are a different shape.

chris

I don't think those are the same signs Chris. The sign with the red bottom should be further down the street...look at the lightpole.

Craig,

If I move closer to the Houston/Main St. corner, this is the only other lightpole that I can find.

This one has a signal light attached, so it can't be this pole.

Moving the other direction, the next one over is the really tall one.

chris

Craig,

If I move closer to the Houston/Main St. corner, this is the only other lightpole that I can find.

This one has a signal light attached, so it can't be this pole.

Moving the other direction, the next one over is the really tall one.

chris

Yep. Its not closer to Houston/Main, its the other direction.... The lightpole you see with the red sign is the one near the TSBD. That means the signpost is further towards the TSBD than the one you show at the corner of Houston/Main. You have the wrong signpost.

Edited by Craig Lamson

Craig,

The sign in question is closer to the corner of Houston/Main. In Hughes, it's closer to this corner as it's on the left side of the huge lightpost.

Also, the background from Bell with the sign in it, puts it closer to the Houston/Main St. corner.

Here is a span from the huge lightpost, down towards the TSBD.

There is nothing else between these two.

chris

Craig,

The sign in question is closer to the corner of Houston/Main. In Hughes, it's closer to this corner as it's on the left side of the huge lightpost.

Also, the background from Bell with the sign in it, puts it closer to the Houston/Main St. corner.

Here is a span from the huge lightpost, down towards the TSBD.

There is nothing else between these two.

chris

Nope, its at least halfways down the block, nearer to the TSBD. Look again.

There are TWO of the huge lightposts and the sign in question is between them. You latest image only shows the second one, nearest the TSBD

lightpost.jpg

Edited by Craig Lamson

Great work, Chris. That signpost is a real puzzler.

Here is a plat with all the Houston Street photographers located.

Maybe it will help.

Using lines of sight of Hughes and others in which it appears, you

can locate the sign exactly.

Jack

Edited by Jack White