The Education Forum

Vince Palamara now believes Oswald did it

Kellerman, in particular, seems dirty as hell.

Kellerman's behaviour is suspect. No argument here.

In "Body of Evidence" Kellerman is shown, in a transcript, to be actively arranging the diversion of the body to Walter Reed (for alteration) as the empty casket goes to Bethesda.

I think you mentioned "Body of Evidence" before, and it turned out to be BEST EVIDENCE by David Lifton. I don't recall Kellerman being accused of doing this in BEST EVIDENCE.

I do wonder though why Debra Conway opted not to be involved with Vince's book....

I respect her discretion, and yet I now can't help wonder if she had some insights long ago.

Debra (Bless her beautiful heart) just published a biography of Jim Garrison, whose early life may have been endlessly fascinating, but tells us nothing about the assassination of JFK. The author of this Garrison bio also happens to be a Whack Job, so Debra is no more infallible than other publishers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on holiday when this discussion began and only caught up with the news yesterday. I do not know Vince and my only contact with him as been via email and has mainly concerned my web page on him. This is understandable as it is ranked number one at Google if you type in “Vince Palamara”.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKpalamara.htm

Vince is clearly concerned with his image as an author and rock musician. This is reflected in his Wikipedia biography that is ranked in third place. This has clearly been written by Vince and provides details of the 45 times his research has been used by authors of books on the JFK assassination. For example, this is what he has to say about one recently published book on the assassination:

"RECLAIMING HISTORY: THE ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY" by Vincent Bugliosi (2007)--- pages XV [page 3, endnotes disc], 146 [source notes disc], 347 [endnotes disc], 403, 404, 408, 691 [endnotes disc], 711 [endnotes disc], 998, 1242-1243, 1276, 1529 (Bibliography), 1592 (index), 1603 (index), & 1604 (index); "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Palamara

Now, I have never seen a biography on Wikipedia that spends so much time on the subject of references in other books. It is clearly very important for him to be recognised in this way. One might even go as far to say that he is obsessed by this subject.

Mike Hogan has pointed out his favourable reviews of other conspiracy books by Larry Hancock, James Douglass and David Talbot on Amazon. However, as Nathaniel Heidenheimer has pointed out: “They all turn into references to his own work”.

I find it impossible to believe that he has been converted from a conspiracy theorist to a lone-nutter just by reading Vincent Bugliosi. How for example, does Bugliosi deal with all the questions raised by Larry Hancock’s book?

However, nor do I believe that Vince is some sort of “limited hangout mole” as claimed by Jack White’s friend. Can you really imagine the CIA paying Vince to changing his mind on the assassination? Especially, as a result of reading Bugliosi’s book. By doing this he has lost all credibility with the JFK research community and will have no influence on anyone who has studied this case in any depth.

To understand this mystery you need to look at other possible motives. According to the Wikipedia biography: “Palamara is currently in the process of having his book entitled Survivor's Guilt: The Secret Service & The Failure To Protect The President published”. I wonder how long he has been trying to get this book published? It is indeed not easy getting "conspiracy books" published. Maybe someone has told him that he would have more chance if he abandoned his conspiracy beliefs. Maybe, Bugliosi has promised to help him get the book published if he states publicly that he was converted by that very special book, Reclaiming History.

Vince is clearly concerned with his image as an author and rock musician... it is clearly very important for him to be recognised in this way. One might even go as far to say that he is obsessed by this subject.

A friend of mine is a very successful in his field, and he likes to regale his friends and clients with stories of his (undoubted) successes. Whenever I chide him for this "obsession," he grins and says "some of us like to blow our own trumpets, and some of us like to bring a brass band."

No one has ever accused Vince of false modesty, but here in America there is a saying that "It ain't braggin' if its true."

I find it impossible to believe that he has been converted from a conspiracy theorist to a lone-nutter just by reading Vincent Bugliosi.... Maybe, Bugliosi has promised to help him get the book published if he states publicly that he was converted by that very special book, Reclaiming History.

This seems to be a variation on the "He's only in it for the money" insinuation that the La Fontaine's leveled against David Lifton. That was unfair to Lifton, and it is equally unfair to Palamara.

Palamara surprised some researchers a few years back when he declared that Dale Myers had convinced him that Lee Oswald murdered J.D. Tippit. I happen to think that the case against Lee Oswald in the Tippit murder is quite flimsy, but I did not decide to dismiss BEST EVIDENCE when David Lifton told me that he too believed the official account of the Tippit murder.

By doing this he has lost all credibility with the JFK research community and will have no influence on anyone who has studied this case in any depth.

This is only true of people who believe in throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Mellen's book and personae is so far from the way you characterize it, I can't even address it further in civil voice.

Peter: Just so there is no confusion, In this thread I was referring to Mellen's LATEST book, described on Lancer as:

A new biography of the former District Attorney of Orleans Parish, Louisiana from his 1922 birth in Iowa and service in World War II - he was among those assigned to Dachau Concentration Camp the day after its liberation - to his years confronting the corrupt politics of Louisiana.

This volume takes us to the moment in 1966 when Jim Garrison began to investigate the Kennedy assassination.

Biographer Joan Mellen met New Orleans District

http://www.joanmellen.com/lifetimes.html

Mellen's Garrison bio has nothing to do with the JFK assassination, according to the Lancer blurb, while SURVIVOR'S GUILT deals directly with the bizarre behaviour of some members of the Secret Service on that fateful day.

In an earlier thread, Debra Conway revealed that

Unfortunately, the project between Vince and JFK Lancer was terminated by JFK Lancer on December 2, 2002

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/lofivers...php/t10232.html

So it appears that Lancer gave SURVIVOR's GUILT the old heave-ho and went ahead with a book on the early life of Earling Carrothers which stops short of dealing with the assassination.

In light of Lancer's mission statement, I would have expected Debra to publish Palamara's assassination-related book and refer Joan Mellen to a general-interest publisher.

On this thread Myra Bronstein suggests that Debra showed foresight in deciding not to publish Palamara's book. Of course I am in no position to tell Debra how to run her publishing business, but the story of Garrison's early life -- unlike SURVIVOR's GUILT -- promises to shed no light on the assassination, and if Professor Mellen also happens to be an eccentric person that is beside the point.

... In an earlier thread, Debra Conway revealed that
Unfortunately, the project between Vince and JFK Lancer was terminated by JFK Lancer on December 2, 2002 (http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/lofivers...php/t10232.html)

So it appears that Lancer gave SURVIVOR's GUILT the old heave-ho and went ahead with a book on the early life of Earling Carrothers which stops short of dealing with the assassination.

In light of Lancer's mission statement, I would have expected Debra to publish Palamara's assassination-related book and refer Joan Mellen to a general-interest publisher.

On this thread Myra Bronstein suggests that Debra showed foresight in deciding not to publish Palamara's book. Of course I am in no position to tell Debra how to run her publishing business, but the story of Garrison's early life -- unlike SURVIVOR's GUILT -- promises to shed no light on the assassination, and if Professor Mellen also happens to be an eccentric person that is beside the point.

There is always also the consideration that people in Palamara's book are still alive and might take issue with some of what may be contained in the book and decide to sue the "deep-pockets" publisher, whereas Garrison is safely deceased.

:tomatoes

Vince Palamara reviewed Reclaiming History on January 13, 2006. He gave Bugliosi's book a three-star rating (out of five). This was the entire review:

Vince Bugliosi is to be commended for the MASSIVE research that this book entailed: 1600+ pages, in addition to 950+ pages on the enclosed disc for the seemingly endless end notes and source notes! There is no doubt that this is THE best Oswald-did-it book...ever. That said, I am sad to say, this is a very skilled prosecutor's brief (or is that length?). Still, I am a proud contributor (on 16 pages). For the serious student of the JFK case.

A year later, Palamara still doubted Oswald acted alone or otherwise. He states that his change of belief occurred in April, 2007:

Fourth, I REALLY AND TRULY READ VINCE BUGLIOSI'S BOOK: EVERY WORD, EVERY SOURCE NOTE, FOOTNOTE...EVERY DETAIL...DID YOU???? Or did you dismiss it out of hand, skim it, or rely on just the nasty CT book reviews for your, ahem, "reading" of his book? Well (answer truthfully)? From 1978 to April 2007, I adamantly and forcefully believed there was a conspiracy in DALLAS and that Oswald, if he acted at all (which I highly doubted), did NOT act alone.

Even though Palamara said that he changed his mind in April, 2007, two months after that he was still not in agreement with Bugliosi's conclusions:

.....I was absolutely convinced that Waldron and Hartmann's book was THE last major book on the case...there WAS a drought post-Posner, and I didn't even think Bugliosi's would come out [his book is incredible for length, research and being the best LHO-did-it book...BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN i AGREE WITH HIS CONCLUSIONS!!!!! ]

As recently as three weeks ago Palamara reviewed JFK and the Unspeakable by James Douglass and gave it a five-star review and wrote in glowing terms:

Masterful job: tremendous depth of research, great writing!, May 9, 2008

As the leading civilian authority on the U.S. Secret Service (and their interaction with a host of presidents, in particular, JFK), I was most anxious to acquire this volume, as Mr. Douglass had contacted me several times in the past regarding his then work-in-progress (for example: I was able to put him in touch with former Secret Service agent---and current outstanding author---Abraham Bolden). So, with these factors in mind, I happily report that this book is a very fine volume, indeed. The tremendous depth of research, as well as the very nice writing style, is most impressive. Douglass goes to great length to nail down each and every idea he has to offer; this is no amateur book, to be sure. What more can one say? Get this one asap!

In a five week period from December 9, 2005 until January 16, 2006 Palamara posted over 100 Amazon reviews on books dealing with the Kennedy assassination. In that same period, he reviewed dozens more on the life of Kennedy and the Secret Service. Palamara rated most conspiratorial books higher than he did Reclaiming History. Many reviews were little or nothing more than cut and paste jobs.

All this from a researcher that seems unwilling to give even one specific reason for changing his mind about Oswald and remains completely vague about his conversion.

All this from a researcher that seems unwilling to give even one specific reason for changing his mind about Oswald and remains completely vague about his conversion.

That is how religious conversions always occur. Think of Saul on the road to Damascus, who would later explain to the Hebrews that FAITH IS THE SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED-FOR, THE EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN.

That is how religious conversions always occur. Think of Saul on the road to Damascus, who would later explain to the Hebrews that FAITH IS THE SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED-FOR, THE EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN.

I prefer to think of Vince on the way to the bank. It just seems so much more real.

Paul the Atheist

..In light of Lancer's mission statement, I would have expected Debra to publish Palamara's assassination-related book and refer Joan Mellen to a general-interest publisher.

There is always also the consideration that people in Palamara's book are still alive and might take issue with some of what may be contained in the book and decide to sue the "deep-pockets" publisher, whereas Garrison is safely deceased.

:tomatoes

This from the American Civil Liberties website:

Free Speech:

Freedom of speech is protected in the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights and is guaranteed to all Americans. Since 1920, the ACLU has worked to preserve our freedom of speech. Learn more and take action to protect the right to free speech.

http://www.aclu.org/freespeech/index.html

If Debra applied a little bit of her magic powers to the Dallas ACLU I would be surprised if the ACLU did not agree to provide [free] legal backing. SURVIVORS GUILT raises issues which those ACLU lawyers would drool over (and it would be a high-profile legal battle that could help the careers of everyone involved) ACCOUNTABILITY IN GOVERNMENT --isn't that an idea whose time has come?