The Education Forum

A Review of A Certain Arrogance

Ron thanks for posting... VERY usefull, and I say that as someone who has read the book, and sometimes pretends to understand it! Jim D. is right, the

book can get a bit unweildy especially it you are a between subway stops reader!

That said there is a tremendous amount of value in the book.

It fits in well with so much of the right-left-right play-action I have been reading about lately in CIA communications strategy.

And how could I have forgotten the Albert S U. closed down in the second half of 1964!

This lil' thicket could put a thorn in the paw of even the most nimble Coincidence Theorist, and I found the implication of the need to counter it,

without making it seem an issue -- hence the Who Knew table at Barnes and Noble in which disinformation is angled into a side veign-- right

onwards:

How CIA contact George DeMohrenschildt introduced Oswald to the Paines and the White Russian community of Dallas-Fort Worth. And at one of the very first meetings of Oswald with this group, Lee talked to Volkmar Schmidt for three hours. And according to Schmidt, through Edward Epstein, "Oswald violently attacked President Kennedy's foreign policy ... Schmidt baited Oswald with a negative analysis of right-wing General Edwin A. Walker and an impending American fascism." (p. 237) Why Oswald would want to talk to Schmidt, who was a neo-Nazi fascist, is puzzling. But Schmidt concluded that "Oswald was completely alienated, self-destructive, and suicidal." This vignette encapsules what the Warren Commission would do with Oswald several months later: pin the shooting of Walker and murder of Kennedy on him, and paint him as a sociopath. I suppose it is just a coincidence that, at this time, Schmidt was living with Michael Paine. (ibid)

Edited by Nathaniel Heidenheimer

Ron thanks for posting... VERY usefull, and I say that as someone who has read the book, and sometimes pretends to understand it! Jim D. is right, the

book can get a bit unweildy especially it you are a between subway stops reader!

It fits in well with so much of the right-left-right play-action I have been reading about lately in CIA communications strategy.

And how could I have forgotten the Albert S U. closed down in the second half of 1964!

This lil' thicket could put a thorn in the paw of even the most nimble Coincidence Theorist, and I found the implication of the need to counter it,

without making it seem an issue -- hence the Who Knew table at Barnes and Noble in which disinformation is angled into a side veign-- right

onwards:

How CIA contact George DeMohrenschildt introduced Oswald to the Paines and the White Russian community of Dallas-Fort Worth. And at one of the very first meetings of Oswald with this group, Lee talked to Volkmar Schmidt for three hours. And according to Schmidt, through Edward Epstein, "Oswald violently attacked President Kennedy's foreign policy ... Schmidt baited Oswald with a negative analysis of right-wing General Edwin A. Walker and an impending American fascism." (p. 237) Why Oswald would want to talk to Schmidt, who was a neo-Nazi fascist, is puzzling. But Schmidt concluded that "Oswald was completely alienated, self-destructive, and suicidal." This vignette encapsules what the Warren Commission would do with Oswald several months later: pin the shooting of Walker and murder of Kennedy on him, and paint him as a sociopath. I suppose it is just a coincidence that, at this time, Schmidt was living with Michael Paine. (ibid)

Yea, thank's for Jim's review, Ron, and I concur with most of what Jimmy D says.

But, I don't think Michael Paine and Volkmar Schmidt ever lived together.

At the time Oswald met Michael Paine, they were attending a party at the home of Everett Glover, who lived with two other Magnolia Oil Company employees, Richard Pierce and possibly Volkmar Schmidet.

There is also a reference, I think wrong, that Norman Fredrickson, whose father worked for Radio Free Europe, lived there, but he was married at the time, and attended the party.

Also in attendance were the DeMohrenschildts, who brought the Oswalds, the Paines, and Betty McDonald, not the stripper, but another employee of Magnolia Labs.

Paine and Schmidt however, did not live together, as far as I can tell from the record, so its not such a coincidence after all.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

onwards:

Yea, thank's for Jim's review, Ron, and I concur with most of what Jimmy D says.

At the time Oswald met Michael Paine, they were attending a party at the home of Everett Glover, who lived with two other Magnolia Oil Company employees, Richard Pierce and possibly Volkmar Schmidet.

There is also a reference, I think wrong, that Norman Fredrickson, whose father worked for Radio Free Europe, lived there, but he was married at the time, and attended the party.

Also in attendance were the DeMohrenschildts, who brought the Oswalds, the Paines, and Betty McDonald, not the stripper, but another employee of Magnolia Labs.

Paine and Schmidt however, did not live together, as far as I can tell from the record, so its not such a coincidence after all.

BK

The quote below is from Jim DiEugenio, who asked me to post this response:

"The information about Schmidt living with Michael Paine is listed in Evica's book on page 237. Evica sources it to authors Edward Epstein and Priscilla Johnson. If there is a question it should be checked against those books."

onwards:

BK

The quote below is from Jim DiEugenio, who asked me to post this response:

"The information about Schmidt living with Michael Paine is listed in Evica's book on page 237. Evica sources it to authors Edward Epstein and Priscilla Johnson. If there is a question it should be checked against those books."

I must have missed the Epstein and PJM references because I would have asked Schmidt about Michael Paine living with him when I talked with Schmidt.

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2008/01...-interview.html

The point being, not so much whether MP lived with Schmidt, but exactly how Oswald came to meet Michael Paine.

If James Douglas is correct in his analysis that the Oswald's were "handed over" to the Paines like a "football," then how they came to meet cuts to the chase.

Will check the GME reference when I find the book, burried around here somewhere.

BK

Jim DiEugenio has reviewed A Certain Arrogance, by the late George Michael Evica, and it is available on the CTKA web site.

http://www.ctka.net/2008/certain_arrogance.html

Ron W

At the risk of sounding egotistical, it's a fact that both GME and myself were simultaneously, but independently (and for the most part, unknowingly) researching exactly the same unchartered corners of this case.

The main difference was that whereas I was posting the results of my research to forums such as this, GME was keeping his under wraps for his book.

I know from emails I received from George Michael, the areas where my research was outstripping his, but I had to wait for his book to come out to see the sheer volume, depth and value of his own work.

GME, I believe, would have been the first to admit that he benefited in whatever small way from the ready and easy access to my research he had, and I sincerely hope this underlying principle is borne in mind with regard to the ultimate disposition of his papers.

Greg,

I can assure you that both Alycia Evica and I are committed to maintaining George Michael's own commitments to intellectual honesty and academic integrity.

The process of cataloging and storing his archives is ongoing, and the community of which he was -- and, I submit, remains -- a proud and generous member will enjoy access to that work sooner rather than later.

For the record, George Michael spoke to me once of your endeavors. It was toward the end, but during a period of absolute lucidity. He described your research as "valuable" and "moving down the same dark roads" as much of his own.

I hope this brief message is of some value to you.

Best,

Charles

I also read A Certain Arrogancer, right after it was published. I did enjoy reading it, since it got into some areas of my own interest. I also agree it was not an easy read....I mean it was a lot to take in. I decided that I would want to re-read it again, which I am just about ready to do so again. After I read it though, I was wanting to know more and hoped someone would continue to pursue the research.

I was also aware of Greg's previous work in this area and also enjoyed his work and would like to read more of it. I don't know if Greg remembers or not, but he and snother person and I had an exchange about the Albert Schweitzer College, on another forum, several years ago. Both had researched it much more then I had, but I believe I did offer a few things...like some former ASC students plus some former Instructors and their credentials. But I did enjoy the discussion very much and did learn quite a bit. I may still even have the posts we all had back and forth.

Some time ago, I mentioned this on here, in a post to Charles Drago.... I made a discovery after reading A Certain Arrigance, that I have still been checking out, off and on. A lot of it has to do with only my own suspicions though, so it might not pan out as I am suspecting. There is some info regarding C D Jackson, in Evica's book, and I discovered that he was involved some, in the interracial couple, Barney and Betty Hill's Alien Abduction claims. It was at a several hours meeting with this couple, as well as a couple of other guys..one from MIlitary Intelligence, who was supposedly a friend of the Hills. that the suggestion was planted for the Hills to be hypnotized. It has been thought that perhaps the Hills had so-called repressed memories planted through hypnosis. Jackson, was around the Dulles era of faciism, Project Paper Clip and flying machines and Eugenics and mind control etc.

As for that party at Everett Glovers place, Glover was not there and neither was Michael Paine. Ruth claimed that she and Michael sang Madrigal songs in a group, with Evererrt Glover and he thought she might enjoy meeting the Oswalds because of her Russian interests. Some raason he or Michael neither one, wera able to be there though. Michael did finally meet the Oswalds when Ruth invited them to her place for dinner and MIchael picked themn up at their apartment and drove them there for the evening.

I do not think that Schmidt and Michael Paine were roommates, but Schmidt was a roommate of Everett Glover.

Dixie

Edited by Dixie Dea

Thanks Charles and Dixie.

Despite how it may have looked, I wasn't fishing for compliments - though an ulterior - and somewhat selfish - motive certainly existed.

Simply put, I'd like access to GME's papers. Nothing Charles has said in the past or now gives me any confidence I will have it.

Cool.

Dixie, I do recall exchanges with you, but not the specifics of any of them. I blame coming to fatherhood a little late in life for the memory hole that now exists between my ears. :lol: braincells.

I do return to these areas occasionally, and there is more to be told about the ASC, Hans Casparis, Thornley, the Unitarian Church, the Paines and Percival Brundage... but at the moment, it's a loose collection of loose connections.

For instance, folk dancing was a major love of both the Paines and Percival Brundage. Did they by chance, meet at folk dance festivals? I dare say, there were not that many held annually across the country... and the NO GJ certainly had its suspicions about the one the Paines attended in San Antonio during April '63- grilling RP closely about it (while assuring her they were not grilling!). I did find it very odd that she seemed unsure at first if she took the kids on this trip and who by and where they were looked after - finally deciding they had arranged a baby sitter in San Antonio upon arrival.

Thornley is probably the easiest to pin down - though the evidence is only circumstantial, I am certain his attendance at Frichman's Unitarian church was not innocent. I'll get around to explaining that when I get the other stuff sorted.

As for Casparis... have found traces connecting him to CIA (beyond any reported in ACA) . Also have proof he was in California Jul - Aug '58 In what may have been an annual event lecturing on "European Liberalism". If he could be placed there again the following year...it could be very significant.

Despite how it may have looked, I wasn't fishing for compliments - though an ulterior - and somewhat selfish - motive certainly existed.

Simply put, I'd like access to GME's papers. Nothing Charles has said in the past or now gives me any confidence I will have it.

Cool.

Greg,

George Michael's papers ultimately will reside in a fully accessible archive.

Beyond this simple declaration of fact, there is little I am able to add at this time.

Your confidence in the ability and willingness of the papers' custodians to follow through on George Michael's wishes is beyond my control and none of my concern.

Charles

Cool.

Greg,

George Michael's papers ultimately will reside in a fully accessible archive.

Beyond this simple declaration of fact, there is little I am able to add at this time.

Your confidence in the ability and willingness of the papers' custodians to follow through on George Michael's wishes is beyond my control and none of my concern.

Charles

Yea, Greg,

I wouldn't hold my breath before GME's unpublished papers are made available to you.

I don't think you really need them. While you proved me wrong in that GME did track down and interview witnesses, especially those involved in AS College, I still maintain that most of his work was taken from previously published books.

George Michael was pretty arrogant himself at times.

I think that he could have used your work more than you can use his.

BK

Not so good for you, Bill.

You may "maintain" that "most" of George Michael's work was "taken from previously published books." But you have not, and in fact cannot demonstrate the validity of such a claim and its implicit charge of plagiarism.

If I'm wrong, prove me wrong. If you're wrong, demonstrate Evica-like levels of courage and honor and say so.

As is the case with Greg, your mere beliefs concerning the value and integrity of my friend and his work are, to quote one of our favorite authors, "of as little account as sparrows' tears."

And We are All Mortal and A Certain Arrogance, along with the remainder of George Michael's oeuvre, stand on their own merits. Those merits are immense -- and not just in comparison to the work of those who would diminish them.

I may be wrong, Bill, but I have reason to suspect that your animadversions concerning George Michael and all he contributed to the search for truth and justic may stem from his less-than-cordial relations with COPA leaders and his affiliations with JFK Lancer.

Forgive me if I'm off-base here; it's just that I'm hard-pressed to account for such wrong-headed hostility emenating from a gentleman and scholar for whom I continue to hold affection and respect.

As for Greg's work: We'll just have to reserve judgment until his first book is published.

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago

Not so good for you, Bill.

You may "maintain" that "most" of George Michael's work was "taken from previously published books." But you have not, and in fact cannot demonstrate the validity of such a claim and its implicit charge of plagiarism.

If I'm wrong, prove me wrong. If you're wrong, demonstrate Evica-like levels of courage and honor and say so.

As is the case with Greg, your mere beliefs concerning the value and integrity of my friend and his work are, to quote one of our favorite authors, "of as little account as sparrows' tears."

And We are All Mortal and A Certain Arrogance, along with the remainder of George Michael's oeuvre, stand on their own merits. Those merits are immense -- and not just in comparison to the work of those who would diminish them.

I may be wrong, Bill, but I have reason to suspect that your animadversions concerning George Michael and all he contributed to the search for truth and justic may stem from his less-than-cordial relations with COPA leaders and his affiliations with JFK Lancer.

Forgive me if I'm off-base here; it's just that I'm hard-pressed to account for such wrong-headed hostility emenating from a gentleman and scholar for whom I continue to hold affection and respect.

As for Greg's work: We'll just have to reserve judgment until his first book is published.

Charles

Charles,

As I noted, Greg already proved me wrong when he contacted a witness from Albert Schwitzer College, who had already been interviewed by GME. Greg corrected me when I said the same thing to him.

I don't think Greg's intentions are to publish a book. He is a researchers who is at the leading edge of the most significant lines of inquiry, and he wants to solve the case before it becomes history.

And We Are All Mortal is one of the best books on the assassination and despite GME's sometimes awkward writing style, it is well documented, sourced and the state of the case at the time it was published.

A Certain Arrogance is one of those books that tip toes around the fringes of some very important aspects of the case, and I am very disapointed that GME won't be around when we dance at the bottom of it.

GME's vision of COPA did conflict with mine, - a DC based organization that routinely interacts with Congress and the NARA, while he wanted an academic org based at his college.

As for LANCER vs COPA, I don't seem to have any problems sharing research with Larry or even Debra, but with GME, even though we were running down the same leads, he'd take a lot in but not give back. Wait for the book.

Okay, we've got the book.

And now we're taking it a lot further. Sorry he's not here to appreciate it.

BK

Bill,

I respect the honest manner in which you describe your experiences and feelings related to George Michael.

My own informed take on the manner in which G.M. chose to share information conflicts with your own. I am not apologizing for his methods when I state that they were well reasoned and necessary.

I might add that scores and scores of his students and colleagues will attest to the selfless manners in which he shared his thoughts and the works they generted.

I won't ask to learn more of your work related to ASC; rather, I'll wait until you're ready to publish as I anticipate important additions to the efforts to effect justice.

Be well,

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago