The Education Forum

Dealey Plaza Shots

Don Bailey

The attached MP3 file is my version of the shots in Dealey Plaza taken from the DPD dictabelt recording from Channel 1 on 11-22-63. The dictabelt recording was edited at some point to include the sounds of a moving motorcycle. With a few edits to eliminate the moving motorcycle sounds you start with a radio broadcast, “Alright Jack” then a few seconds later a pop like a firecracker, a few seconds pass then a volley of shots continues within a 4 second period. The volley of shots came from different weapons at different locations including the distinctive sounds of a high-powered rifle. The recording ends with a voice saying, “Sorry Jack.”

The original dictabelt recordings are here:

http://www.nap.edu/html/JFK_audio/

Don

(Edited)

dealeyplazashots.mp3

Edited by Don Bailey

The attached MP3 file is my version of the shots in Dealey Plaza taken from the DPD dictabelt recording from Channel 1 on 11-22-63. The dictabelt recording was edited at some point to include the sounds of a moving motorcycle. With a few edits to eliminate the moving motorcycle sounds you start with a radio broadcast, “Alright Jack” then a few seconds later a pop like a firecracker, a few seconds pass then a volley of shots continues within a 4 second period. The volley of shots came from different weapons at different locations including the distinctive sounds of a high-powered rifle. The recording ends with a voice saying, “Sorry Jack.”

Don

(Edited)

This post has been revised....

Don

(Edited)

Don:

A few questions come to mind immediately -

1. "The dictabelt recording was edited at some point, to include the sounds of a moving mototcycle."? What, if any, evidence exists to support this claim? I have been studying and documenting the history and chain-of-possession of those belts over a long period of time, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence whatsoever of any such alteration to the original dictabelts.

2. A radio broadcast saying "Alright Jack", followed by shots, followed by a broadcast saying "Sorry Jack"? I don't think so......

Chris

Please understand Chris, this is my version of the DPD dictabelt Track 1 recording of the shots. If you look at the audio waveform starting at 3:43 you'll see changes that are not consistent with the motorcycle sounds up to that point. From 3:43 to 5:14, Channel 1 becomes a circus of events that do not make sense, when you actually listen for gunfire on the track recording you'll hear it in different parts, what I did is edit the gunfire from the recording and piece them together within a time of about 7 seconds.

Don