The Education Forum

Joan Mellen on Oswald

The use of sarcasm is ....to be avoided.

'Where does Joan get this stuff?" was arguably an exercise in sarcasm by Stephen Roy, and grounds for a severe reprimand.

But when I read some of Joan Mellen's stuff about the JFK assassination I often ask myself the very same question, and I am not being sarcastic at all -- I am just genuinely bewildered.

Does that mean I am breaking a forum rule?

You're all right, and I'm wasting my time trying to get published authors like Joan Mellen, PDS, Tony Summers, Dan Moldea, David Kaiser or even John Judge to come here and discuss their work, as they are too smart to do it.

When Dan Moldea asked John Judge the same question at the AU conference in the early 90s, "Where do you get THIS STUFF?" with as much sarcasm as he could muster, Judge said, "Research, Dan."

It would be nice if Joan would stop by and you could ask her yourself, "Where do you get this stuf?" sarcasm or not, but then you don't do original research and track down and interview witnesses and get unsolicited information from previously unknown witnesses and whistleblowers. But Joan and the others do. But its easy to sit behind computers and write sarcastic questions to those who do.

Joan, Peter, Tony, Dan , David and Judge won't come here for the same reason, it's a waste of their time.

And its a waste of my time to try to talk them into it. So I'm not going to bother anymore.

BK

It would be nice if Joan would stop by and you could ask her yourself, "Where do you get this stuf?" sarcasm or not, but then you don't do original research and track down and interview witnesses.....

BK

Well maybe that argument has some value when used against me, but I don't think it works quite as well against Stephen Roy.

It would be nice if Joan would stop by and you could ask her yourself, "Where do you get this stuf?" sarcasm or not, but then you don't do original research and track down and interview witnesses.....

BK

Well maybe that argument has some value when used against me, but I don't think it works quite as well against Stephen Roy.

I'm not arguing with you or Stephen Roy. You both convinced me that it's a waste of time to try to get her or the others to come here so you can ask them yourself, "Where do you get that stuff?" A legitimate question, sarcasm or not.

They won't come and I'm not going to try anymore to convince them.

BK

'Where does Joan get this stuff?" was arguably an exercise in sarcasm by Stephen Roy, and grounds for a severe reprimand.

But when I read some of Joan Mellen's stuff about the JFK assassination I often ask myself the very same question, and I am not being sarcastic at all -- I am just genuinely bewildered.

As I noted, my comment "Where does Joan get this stuff?" was made spontaneously and with gentle sarcasm, but the written words come across differently than I intended. I should not have said this. I apologze to Joan Mellen, Bill Kelly and all those who participate in the Forum.

While I disagree with some of her writings, I have great respect for Joan Mellen.

As I noted, my comment "Where does Joan get this stuff?" was made spontaneously and with gentle sarcasm, but the written words come across differently than I intended. I should not have said this. I apologze to Joan Mellen, Bill Kelly and all those who participate in the Forum.

While I disagree with some of her writings, I have great respect for Joan Mellen.

Stephen, I don't think any forum rules were broken, no appologies necessary, and I don't think Joan was insulted. It was just a realization on my part that people won't put themselves in a situation where they have tomatos thrown at them, especially when they just don't have to get on the soapbox to avoid it.

I think I may have asked the question that sent Kaiser packing and feel guilty about it.

BK

I totally agree. I actually loved her book and wrote to her a "fan letter". All the years she put into proving Garrison was correct are to be roundly commended. But I stand by the belief that her animosity for Bobby made certain portions of the book a bit tough. And I never believed one of her main sources. But as a writer, researcher, and woman I have enormous respect for her.

I too apologize for the sarcastic remark I made. During our communications I found her to be warm, compassionate and very enjoyable to speak and email with.

I totally agree. I actually loved her book and wrote to her a "fan letter". All the years she put into proving Garrison was correct are to be roundly commended. But I stand by the belief that her animosity for Bobby made certain portions of the book a bit tough. And I never believed one of her main sources. But as a writer, researcher, and woman I have enormous respect for her.

I too apologize for the sarcastic remark I made. During our communications I found her to be warm, compassionate and very enjoyable to speak and email with.

====================================

Subject: Fw: Fw: link to our new forum:

Date: October 11, 2008 11:10:22 AM CDT

To: ashtongray@xxxxxx.com

When you get an opportunity take a look. We have all left the ed forum ..

Dawn

[LINK enclosed in forwarded message from Myra Bronstein]

Have you changed your mind about leaving the Forum or do you have some unfinished business here?

Stephen, I don't think any forum rules were broken, no appologies necessary, and I don't think Joan was insulted. It was just a realization on my part that people won't put themselves in a situation where they have tomatos thrown at them, especially when they just don't have to get on the soapbox to avoid it.

I think I may have asked the question that sent Kaiser packing and feel guilty about it.

BK

I believe from emails with Joan, not only is she unlikely to post here in response, but she isn't even watching this thread - which she knows is ongoing and has the url. She can't be bothered - as BK has stated. She is too busy researching and making a living and doesn't relish what she feels is much negativity here - despite some positives. On balance, she votes with her absence most of the time, I'm afraid.

By the way, tell JJ that was a great rejoinder and correct in his case, IMO.

Peter, I was going to ask Joan some more about Julio Fernandez, who she mentions in her talk and was investigated by the Pittsburgh FBI office, and was reportedly tracked down and interviewed by Fonzi, but I can't find any of his reports on this among the HSCA records. She knows more.

I'm sure Robert would like to squeeze some more info from her about Art Cowan, and others can ask her where she gets her stuff.

And as she teaches at Temple, I wanted to ask her about Dr. DD Sharples, the estemed Trustee of Temple University, who used to be married to George DeMohrenschildts, and whose family owned a Colorado oil company and knew Jackie Kennedy. I'm sure Dr. Sharples has some interesting stories.

But alas, we'll never know unless we have tea with her.

BK

Peter, I was going to ask Joan some more about Julio Fernandez, who she mentions in her talk and was investigated by the Pittsburgh FBI office, and was reportedly tracked down and interviewed by Fonzi, but I can't find any of his reports on this among the HSCA records. She knows more. (Bill Kelly)

Bill,

Would that be Julio Fernandez Travejo?

James

Edited by James Richards

Peter, I was going to ask Joan some more about Julio Fernandez, who she mentions in her talk and was investigated by the Pittsburgh FBI office, and was reportedly tracked down and interviewed by Fonzi, but I can't find any of his reports on this among the HSCA records. She knows more. (Bill Kelly)

Bill,

Would that be Julio Fernandez Travejo?

James

I don't think so James.

It's Julio Fernandez and his son, Jr.

Julio Fernandez, who was holed up in Martinsburg Pa. at the time of the assassination, who Joan mentions in her talk, was a publisher and editor from Santiago, Cuba.

When the HSCA asked for the CIA records on all the Julio Fernandezs they had, about a dozen, none of them were of the Cuban exile editor.

He reportedly moved to Rye, NY, where Foniz is said to have interviewed him, and died recently in Florida. His son should be alive however. And Fonzi's reports should be available from HSCA records released under the JFK Act.

BK

Thanks, Bill.

Then that would be Julio Cesar Fernandez.

James

Bill, the Julio Cesar Fernandez of Martinsburg is of course in the 26 volumes. The "Julio Fernandez" a pseudonym given by Clare Luce to interviewers, was a DRE operative. Fonzi pursued the leads given re the latter 'Fernandez' Fonzi found out from Luce that one of the three men whom she sponsored along with a boat for anti-Castro use was Jose Antonio Lanusa. Did Fonzi also interview Dr. Julio Cesar Fernandez? I'm not sure there isn't some confusion here.

Best,

Roy Bierma

Thanks, Bill.

Then that would be Julio Cesar Fernandez.

James

Bill, the Julio Cesar Fernandez of Martinsburg is of course in the 26 volumes. The "Julio Fernandez" a pseudonym given by Clare Luce to interviewers, was a DRE operative. Fonzi pursued the leads given re the latter 'Fernandez' Fonzi found out from Luce that one of the three men whom she sponsored along with a boat for anti-Castro use was Jose Antonio Lanusa. Did Fonzi also interview Dr. Julio Cesar Fernandez? I'm not sure there isn't some confusion here.

Best,

Roy Bierma

Yea, Roy,

So far I've come up with at least a half-dozen Julio Fernandezs - and have tried to pick them apart, and keep them separated.

While I am primarily interested in Dr. Julio Cesar Fernandez , who Joan Mellen mentoins in her talk, and his son, JCF Jr. I am also interested in Clare Booth Luce's "Julio Fernandez," and the Julio Fernadez who sailed with Brad Ayers on the Rex out of JMWAVE.

I was told Fonzi interviewed Dr. Julio Cesar Fernandez and learned he wasn't the same Fernandez as the one who called Luce. I'm not so sure Luce's "Fernandez" was an alias, as Brad Ayers knew a Julio Fernandez who also ran the boats out of JMWAVE.

I'd like to find the article Luce did on "her boys" for Life Mag circa 62-63.

Dr. JCF's wife, Emma Larraz "Nena" Fernandez, apparently was sister to Antonio Larraz, Batista police chief, and had a sister who worked for Catholic Welfare in Miami.

Dr. JCF would have been invited to the conference of Cuban Journalists in exile that was held at the University of Miami/JMWAVE in late summer/fall of 1963 and sponsored by the CIA's Catherwood Fund. And the Miami - DC Seaborad Airlines coach train ticket (Sept. 25,63') may have been return ticket from that conference.

I'd also like to find Julio Cesar Fernandez, Jr., who was born in Cuba in 1944 and was a 19 year old art student (at Penn State) in 1963. He had younger sisters Alexis, born in 1954, and Walkyria, born in 1947. I don't think JCF, Jr. is the guitarist for Spyro Gyro because of the ten year age difference.

http://www.spyrogyra.com/biographies.php?bio=julio

Thought he could be this artist:

http://www.artnet.com/artist/560868/julio-...-fernandez.html

BK