The Education Forum

Jack W. Martin

US GEN WEB ARCHIVES RE MARTIN's have some very interesting obituaries, some include references to Ben and Thelma Martin, whom Secret Service documents indicate

were the parents of Jack F Martin.....Goldonna, La......

I decided to sample a few and provide the URL's....

001820 Martin - Thomas Martin, Died Saturday, July 17, 2004, At Summit Hospital In Baton Rouge,

Louisiana. Thomas Martin Was Born In Montgomery, Alabama, August 9, 1916. He Was Retired From Harris

Corporation. He Served As A 2nd Lieutenant Instructor Pilot In The United States Air Force In World War

Ii With The 2530th Army Air Forces Base Unit. Thomas Is Survived By: His Wife, Lois Mann Martin;

Brother-In-Law And Wife, Joseph A. Mann II And Shirley St. Upery Mann Of New Iberia, La; Nieces:

Lingard Brown Of Noonan, Georgia And Marsha Domingue Of Baton Rouge, La; Nephew, Joseph Mann Of New

Iberia, La; And Cousins: Margaret Brown, Anne Brown Bell And Lauren Bell Of Montgomery, Al. He Was

Preceded In Death By His Parents, Reese And Margaret Downes Martin; Brother, Reese Martin; Sister,

Margaret Martin Coats; And Sister-In-Law, Gladys Roach. Visitation At Restland Funeral Home Beginning

At 9:00 A.M. With Recitation Of The Rosary At 10:30 A.M. A Graveside Service For Thomas Kelly Martin

Will Be Held At 11:00 A.M. Wednesday, July 28, 2004, In The Garden Of Good Shepherd At Restland

Memorial Park In Dallas, Texas. In Lieu Of Flowers, Memorial Donations May Be Made To The Local Chapter

Of Alzheimer's Services. Restland Funeral Home Located On Greenville Avenue 1/2 Mile North Of L.B.J.

972-283-7111 Times Picayune 07-26-2004

001679 Martin - Kenneth B. Martin, A Laborer For Goodwill Industries, Died Monday At Charity Hospital

Of A Gunshot Wound. He Was 41. Mr. Martin Was A Lifelong Resident Of New Orleans. Survivors Include His

Mother, Thelma Martin; Five Brothers, Briar, Wynn, Shaun, Frank And Stafford Martin; And Six Sisters,

Shauna M. Edwards And Berlyn, Cherlyn, Shelia, Gail And Roann Martin. A Funeral Will Be Held Monday At

10 A.M. At Philips Memorial United Methodist Church, 3236 Burdette St. Visitation Will Begin At 8 A.M.

Burial Will Be In Mount Olivet Cemetery. Gertrude Geddes Willis Funeral Home Is In Charge Of

Arrangements. Times Picayune 06-13-1999

001730 Martin - Mercedes (Massy) Becnel Martin On Thursday, August 28, 1997. Age 90 Years. Wife Of The

Late Emile Martin, Jr. Mother Of Ben Martin, Emile E. Martin, Iii, J. Eugene Martin, Sr., Bernard R.

Martin, Rita M. Colilins, Mary L. Ban, Lorraine F. Landry And The Late Una Vullo Barrois. Sister Of The

Late Ben Becnel, Pamela Laneri, Euphrasie Barrois, Arthur Becnel, Sidney Becnel, William Becnel And

Theodore Becnel. Also Survived By 33 Grandchildren And Many Great Grandchildren And Great Great

Grandchildren. A Native Of Plaquemines Parish And A Resident Of New Orleans. Relatives And Friends Of

The Family Are Invited To Attend A Funeral Mass To Be Celebrated From The Chapel Of Mothe Funeral

Homes, Inc., 2100 Westbank Expressway, Harvey On Monday, September 1, 1997 At Noon. Interment Westlawn

Memorial Park. Parlors Will Be Open Monday Morning At 10:00a.M. (29 Aug/ 1 Sep 1997, Times Picayune)

Submitted By Louis Lavedan

001836 Martin - Wilson Nicholas Martin On Tuesday February 4, 2008 At 7:05 P.M. Husband Of The Late

Helen Elizabeth Louis Martin. Father Of Geraldine M. Donaho, Wilson Nicholas Martin, Jr., Mary Ellen M.

Edmonds And John Joseph Martin. Son Of The Late Wiltz Martin And Louise Soulage Martin.Brother Of

Thelma Martin And Wilmer J. Martin. Also Survived By 14 Grandchildren,12 Great Grandchildren, Nieces

And Nephews. Age 90 Years. A Native Of Jeanerette, La And A Resident Of Laplace, La For The Past 25

Years. Relatives And Friends Of The Family Are Invited To Attend The Funeral. A Mass Will Be Celebrated

In The Chapel Of Jacob Schoen And Son, 3827 Canal St. On Friday, February 7, 2003 At 11:00 A.M.

Interment In St. Roch #1 Cemetery. Friends May Visit On Thursday From 6:00 P.M. Until 10:00 P.M. And

After 9:00 A.M. Friday. Times Picayune 02-06-2003

001829 Martin - Wade O. Martin Jr., Louisiana's Secretry Of State From 1944 To 1976, Died Monday In His

Sleep At His Baton Rouge Home. He Was 79. Mr. Martin, Who Served Under Five Governors, Had Been In

Declining Health, Friends Said. 'All Of Louisiana Mourns The Passing Of A Great Pulbic Servant, ' Gov.

Roemer Said Monday. 'He Served With Distinction.' Mr. Martin, Who Held Office Longer Than Any Other

Louisiana Secretary Of State In This Century, Was Born Into A Political Family In Cajun Country. His

Father Was St. Martin Parish Sheriff For 12 Years And A Member Of The Public Service Commission For 24.

Mr. Martin Became A Lawyer And Was Elected To The First Of His Eight Terms As Secretary Of State When

He Was 33. At That Time, The Holder Of That Office Also Performed The Functions Now Carried Out By The

Commissioners Of Insurance And Elections. That Changed As A Result Of A 1955 Feud. Mr. Martin, Who Had

Been An Ally Of Earl K. Long, Became Involved In A Dispute With Him While Long Was Running For Govenor.

After The Election, Long Removed Those Powers From The Secretary Of State's Office And Set Up

Departments, Headed By Elected Officials, To Administer Them. Mr. Martin Left The Security Of His Job

To Run For Governor In 1975 Against Former Gov. Edwin W. Edwards, Then The Most Popular Politician In

The State. Wearing His Trademark Bow Ties, Mr. Martin Traveled The State, Railing Against The High

Costs Of Running For Office. He Finished A Distant Third In The Six-Candidate Race And Left Elective

Politics. In 1989, He Said He Never Felt Bitter About The Election Outcome. 'It Didn't Surprise Me, '

He Said. 'I Accepted It As It Was...I Had Done All I Could Do To Improve Things From The Launching Pad

Of The Secretary Of State's Office... 'I Wanted To Prove A Person With Name Recognition And A

Reputation Of Service Could Win Without Spending A Fortune...I Guess It Was The Wrong Time To Do It

Because Money Was Becoming The Most Important Item In Anyone's Campaign.' After Leaving Office, Mr.

Martin Divided His Time Between His Baton Rouge Apartment And His 400-Acre Farm In St. Martinville,

La., And He Worked On Books About Politics. He Also Suffered A Series Of Health Problems, Including A

Broken Leg And Two Heart-Bypass Operations. Survivors Include Four Sons, Wade Iii, David, Gregory And

Wallace Martin; Two Daughters, Merle Dooley And Marcelle Sherrill; 15 Grandchildren; And Four Great-

Grandchildren. A Funeral Mass Will Be Said Wednesday At 1 P.M. At St. Martin De Tours Church In St.

Martinville. Burial Will Be In St. Francis Regis Cemetery In Arnaudville. Rabenhorst Funeral Home Of

Baton Is In Charge Of Arrangements. Times Picayune 08-7-1990

And though it seems like i am mentioning this way too late, veteran researchers are well aware of the

Warren Commission documents consistent habit of mis-spelling names, it could be a good suggestion

to those who are interested, to consider that perhaps, and only perhaps, Thelma Martin was an intentionally

mis-spelt name, Velma Martin?

I only mention this because there seem to be no Jack F Martin obituaries on the Web, which is not to say

there was no Jack F Martin......

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tom Scully

Robert,

Where did you find a reference to a Jack F. Martin? I thought the name was Jack W., and that his origins and background have already been confirmed?

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14340&view=findpost&p=173618

http://files.usgwarchives.org/la/winn/obits/m/marben64.txt

Ben Martin, 59, Goldonna Native, Died July 10

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

MARTIN, JACK W 07 Oct 1928 02 Apr 2002 (V) 73 55423 (Minneapolis, Hennepin, MN) (none specified) Louisiana 436-34-4594

According to this,

"Esther Jane Wilson was born November 22, 1918 in LaHarp, Kansas." Esther happened to be the wife of New Orlean's SAIC, John W. Rice. Less than a year after the day SAIC Rice was diverted to Goldonna to investigate Jack W. Martin, a man of no known means of employment, the wedding announcement of Rice's younger daughter informs us that his older daughter was living in Leesville, LA, near Ft. Polk, and on the route between New Orleans and Barksdale, AFB.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14951&view=findpost&p=173986

Since SAIC Rice had an appointment to make a 650 mile round trip to Barksdale AFB on his Wife, Esther's birthday, leaving her alone at home in New Orleans, it seemed to me that, if the Rice's older daughter did reside in Leesville, LA on 22 November, 1963, it would be reasonable to expect that SAIC Rice used the Barksdale AFB trip to unite his older daughter with his wife on her birthday. It also seems reasonable to believe that the coincidence of the date of the assassination falling on the date of SAIC Rice's wife's birthday would tend to enhance the memories of details of that weekend in the minds of Rice's two surviving daughters. Unless new information is released in heretofore withheld documents, one of SAIC Rice's daughters could turn out to be the best source to find the reasons for Rice's trip to Barksdale and for the orders he received to divert to Goldonna to investigate Jack W. Martin, after Rice left Barksdale, and, at the least, to confirm Rice's flight to Dallas on the afternoon of 24 November.

Edited by Tom Scully

Robert,

Where did you find a reference to a Jack F. Martin? I thought the name was Jack W., and that his origins and background have already been confirmed?

http://educationforu...ndpost&p=173618

http://files.usgwarc.../m/marben64.txt

Ben Martin, 59, Goldonna Native, Died July 10

http://ssdi.rootsweb...gi-bin/ssdi.cgi

MARTIN, JACK W 07 Oct 1928 02 Apr 2002 (V) 73 55423 (Minneapolis, Hennepin, MN) (none specified) Louisiana 436-34-4594

According to this,

"Esther Jane Wilson was born November 22, 1918 in LaHarp, Kansas." Esther happened to be the wife of New Orlean's SAIC, John W. Rice. Less than a year after the day SAIC Rice was diverted to Goldonna to investigate Jack W. Martin, a man of no known means of employment, the wedding announcement of Rice's younger daughter informs us that his older daughter was living in Leesville, LA, near Ft. Polk, and on the route between New Orleans and Barksdale, AFB.

http://educationforu...ndpost&p=173986

Since SAIC Rice had an appointment to make a 650 mile round trip to Barksdale AFB on his Wife, Esther's birthday, leaving her alone at home in New Orleans, it seemed to me that, if the Rice's older daughter did reside in Leesville, LA on 22 November, 1963, it would be reasonable to expect that SAIC Rice used the Barksdale AFB trip to unite his older daughter with his wife on her birthday. It also seems reasonable to believe that the coincidence of the date of the assassination falling on the date of SAIC Rice's wife's birthday would tend to enhance the memories of details of that weekend in the minds of Rice's two surviving daughters. Unless new information is released in heretofore withheld documents, one of SAIC Rice's daughters could turn out to be the best source to find the reasons for Rice's trip to Barksdale and for the orders he received to divert to Goldonna to investigate Jack W. Martin, after Rice left Barksdale, and, at the least, to confirm Rice's flight to Dallas on the afternoon of 24 November.

My mistake, you are correct. Apologies.

Your post is very helpful, I certainly don't mind having a mistake of mine pointed out.

His origin's and background have indeed been established, I am trying to find more,

and cannot believe that what has been discovered so far, is the last chapter.

Edited by Robert Howard