Douglas Caddy Posted June 7, 2011 Share Posted June 7, 2011 Sienna Miller settles hacking case The Independent Tuesday, 7 June 2011 Sienna Miller was granted an injunction preventing any further unlawful accessing of her voicemail and publication of her private information Sienna Miller's privacy and harassment claim in the News of the World phone-hacking action settled for £100,000 damages today. The 29-year-old actress, who is appearing in Terence Rattigan's Flare Path at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, was not at London's High Court for the brief hearing. Her counsel, David Sherborne, told Mr Justice Vos that, in 2005 and 2006, she was the subject of numerous articles which contained "intrusive and private information". As well as the damages and her legal costs, Ms Miller was granted an injunction preventing any further unlawful accessing of her voicemail and publication of her private information. The order also provided for disclosure of information about the extent of the activities and expressly allows her to come back to court in the light of any new material. Mr Sherborne said that Ms Miller did not know the source of the information and could not understand how it was possible for the News of the World to obtain it. She had considerable concerns about the security of her mobile phone, having experienced periods of hang up calls and missing voicemail messages, and changed her number three times in a bid to protect herself. "The information which was being published was only known to trusted friends and family. "The claimant did not know whether someone close to her was leaking information or whether her mobile telephone was somehow being hacked into. "Both possibilities were extremely distressing for the claimant," said counsel. Mr Sherborne said that in October 2010, after disclosure of documents by the Metropolitan Police Service, Ms Miller issued proceedings for misuse of private information, breach of confidence and harassment. In April this year, News Group Newspapers made an unconditional admission of liability. He added: "This meant that News Group accepted that confidential and private information had been obtained by the unlawful access of the claimant's voicemail messages, that confidential and private information had been published as a result, and that there had been an invasion of her privacy, breaches of confidence and a campaign of harassment for over 12 months." News Group's counsel, Michael Silverleaf QC, offered its "sincere apologies" to Ms Miller for the damage and distress caused. It acknowledged that the information should never have been obtained in the manner it was, the private information should never have been published and it had accepted liability. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now