The Education Forum

Marina's Letters to USSR

William Kelly

Peter Vronsky, a Canadian graduate student and documentary film maker met Marina's aunt and uncle in USSR, and despite Mailer's assertion that they had died, found them very much alive at the time. They shared with Vronsky letters that Marina had sent from Fort Worth and New Orleans, and translated them, and posted them here, giving some unique insight into her life with "Alka."

There's also some neat photos of the Minsk radio factory where Oswald worked, and the background locations of some of the photos we have of Oswald in USSR

Just when you think you've heard it all, something new pops up.

BK

http://www.russianbooks.org/oswald-in-russia.htm

http://www.russianbooks.org/oswald/letters2.htm

Hello my dear uncle Ilya and aunt Valya

I am hurrying to inform you that there is no reason to worry. The whole family has moved to New Orleans. Alka found the same kind of work he had in Dallas, ie, photography. He like it very much and I am happy. Now at least he knows what to look for specifically. That is much better than when we arrived and he did not know where to turn -- what to look for. This is not bad work -- at least a specialty. He does not photograph people -- this is technical photography -- more specifically, commercial -- for magazines and print and newspapers. We see his work and he brags that he works in newspapers. At last fortune has smiled upon him. By the way, I can brag that I was first who suggested he go to New Orleans. Here Alka has relatives and in the end that is better than nothing.

By the way, aunt Lillian and her husband are very nice and simple people. They have five grown children and they love kids in general. They treat us very well.

We live on the same street that Alka works on. He travels to work by trolley bus for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Not far away is the Mississippi, about twenty-five minutes walk and on the other side of the city a big lake with a beautiful beach. We have already gone swimming there. Marinka was most happy. She cried when we took her out of the water. She is beginning to walk a little. She is amusing and interesting for us.

The city is old -- the original settlers were French. Many streets are name in French. In the French Quarter there are many foreign tourists. For the first time I saw how a barely clad girl -- if you can call a transparent material that -- dancing in a bar. We and Alka were walking around there one evening and you could see many unexpected things through an open door. I know about things like that but I was quite surprised anyway. Indecent!

It is good that there are many fish here which I like very much. On Saturday we will go to catch crabs. We already bought some eels and crabs. Alka handles them himself -- he does not trust anybody. It is a very pleasant occupation preparing them, cleaning, and especially eating them. If only you were here -- you would cook them up! Soon pictures from the beach will be ready. I will send them out. How are things with you? Alka sends his regards.

Dear aunt Valya. This is only for you. Now I know for sure that Alka loves me and this is very pleasing. I am not the only one to come to this realization, but also Ruth who was here for a few days. She could speak with him in English and Russian. That is very good practice. So I am very happy. It is good that we are living together. All kinds of things happen.

I kiss you tightly,

Marina

Edited by William Kelly