The Education Forum

The Best Picture Books on the JFK Assassination

As a supplement to Robert Morrow's two topics about best and worst books, here's my list on the photography of the JFK assassination.

The Top Two

- Richard Trask, Pictures of the Pain.

- Dale K. Myers, With Malice (Tippit shooting)

For their scholarship, thoroughness and excellent documentation. You don't have to agree with their conclusions. One small nick to pick with Trask: the photos should have gotten better treatment by the printers. This was nicely address in Trask's follow-up volume, That Day in Dallas, but only for Cecil Stoughton, James Altgens, and Jim Murray

Honorable Mention (in no particular order):

- Robert Groden, The Search for Lee Harvey Oswald

- Robert Groden, The Killing of a President

- Jesse Curry, JFK Assassination File

- Wilborn Hampton, Kennedy Assassinated, The World Mourns

- Cathy Trost and Susan Lewis Bennett, President Kennedy Has Been Shot

Best of the Rest (not necessarily picture books, but have lots of pictures)

- Noel Twyman, Bloody Treason

- Jim DiEugenio, Destiny Betrayed (Garrison and Clay Shaw)

- Rosemary James & Jack Waldlaw, Plot or Politics? (Garrison and Clay Shaw)

- Joan Mellen, A Farewell to Justice (Garrison and Clay Shaw)

- Robert B. Denson, Destiny in Dallas (Ruby trial)

As a supplement to Robert Morrow's two topics about best and worst books, here's my list on the photography of the JFK assassination.

The Top Two

- Richard Trask, Pictures of the Pain.

- Dale K. Myers, With Malice (Tippit shooting)

For their scholarship, thoroughness and excellent documentation. You don't have to agree with their conclusions. One small nick to pick with Trask: the photos should have gotten better treatment by the printers. This was nicely address in Trask's follow-up volume, That Day in Dallas, but only for Cecil Stoughton, James Altgens, and Jim Murray

Honorable Mention (in no particular order):

- Robert Groden, The Search for Lee Harvey Oswald

- Robert Groden, The Killing of a President

- Jesse Curry, JFK Assassination File

- Wilborn Hampton, Kennedy Assassinated, The World Mourns

- Cathy Trost and Susan Lewis Bennett, President Kennedy Has Been Shot

Best of the Rest (not necessarily picture books, but have lots of pictures)

- Noel Twyman, Bloody Treason

- Jim DiEugenio, Destiny Betrayed (Garrison and Clay Shaw)

- Rosemary James & Jack Waldlaw, Plot or Politics? (Garrison and Clay Shaw)

- Joan Mellen, A Farewell to Justice (Garrison and Clay Shaw)

- Robert B. Denson, Destiny in Dallas (Ruby trial)

Among others, I'd also suggest Shaw and Harris Cover-Ups.

Robin Unger

Among others, I'd also suggest Shaw and Harris Cover-Ups.

I struggled with this one, but the quality of the photos is so poor (on my copy anyway) that I decided to leave it out.

Cover-up predates most of the other books mentioned. It was published in 1976 and I remember being startled

by all the photos I had never seen before. It may be flawed, but in my opinion Cover-up is still a classic.

Edited by Michael Hogan

I think Groden's books, the two you mention, are just excellent.

The quality of the paper, and the reproductions are the best I have seen. Plus, the number of rare photos in both books is phenomenal.

Why would you rank Trask or Myers over Groden's work? Especially since Myers has a narrow focus.

This is a valid question. There is no argument with the quantity of photos and large number that do not appear anywhere else. The print quality is also excellent. However, I have some major reservations: over-lapping photos, colorization and cropping, inadequate documentation and attribution. However, I readily admit that I love Groden's books and refer to them often. But they also frustrate me.

I think Groden's books, the two you mention, are just excellent.

The quality of the paper, and the reproductions are the best I have seen. Plus, the number of rare photos in both books is phenomenal.

Why would you rank Trask or Myers over Groden's work? Especially since Myers has a narrow focus.

Jim,

He said he listed Trask or Myers books "For their scholarship, thoroughness and excellent documentation".

Given that context that you would even begin to suggest that Grodens books should be ranked ahead of them is, frankly, ridiculous.

Todd

Guest Robert Morrow

I think these threads on JFK assassination books are very helpful. These books/DVDs/picture books contain an incredible amount of valuable information that 1) the government 2) the MSM 3) mainstream/establishment academia DO NOT PRESENT. So they are worth their weight in gold. Also there is a lot of misinformation/disinformation/baloney out there in some books and these books need to be targeted and exposed for the frauds they are.

And some books are a mix and match of good info and junk. I also enjoy reading the picks and pans of books by other researchers. It helps me to narrow my focus to the best books/DVDs/sources and also to avoid the junk or at least be pre-warned about it.