The Education Forum

Cord Meyer

Dan Dagen

forgive me if this one's been done already.

since that e. howard hunt tell-all a couple years ago i would think a lot of the jfk assassination researchers would have turned a great deal of their energy on Cord Meyer. anything new? the spartacus bio on him does not mention hunt's allegations.

Cord Meyer Jr. Dies at 80; Communism Fighter at C.I.A.

By CHRISTOPHER MARQUIS

Published: Friday, March 16, 2001

Cord Meyer Jr., an articulate and passionate strategist who helped guide the young Central Intelligence Agency's efforts to contain Soviet communism at home and abroad, died here on Tuesday. He was 80.

Mr. Meyer, whose career took extraordinary turns, from soldier to author to liberal activist to spy to newspaper columnist, died of lymphoma and other ailments at the Washington Home, a long-term health care facility.

In his 26 years at the C.I.A., where he held management positions in the covert operations branch, Mr. Meyer drew criticism from many liberals for his role in efforts to subsidize student and labor groups in this country as counterweights to Soviet-backed groups in Europe.

Yet, for all his ardent anti-communism, which associates said was a lifelong principle, Mr. Meyer faced accusations at the height of the McCarthy era that he was a Communist sympathizer.

George J. Tenet, the C.I.A. director, released a statement calling Mr. Meyer ''a passionate defender of freedom around the world.''

''Cord defined the concept, doctrine and implementation of covert action on behalf of the security and interests of our nation,'' Mr. Tenet said.

Mr. Meyer's life was characterized by great privilege and considerable personal tragedy.

Born here in 1920, the son of a diplomat and grandson of a New York State Democratic chairman, Mr. Meyer attended elite schools and entered Yale University in 1939. In 1942, he enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve. He was sent to the South Pacific, where, as a machine-gun platoon leader, he took part in the assault on Guam. He was wounded in a grenade attack and lost his left eye. He was later awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.

Mr. Meyer's twin brother, Quentin, was killed at Okinawa.

A fluent writer whose dispatches from the war were published in The Atlantic Monthly, Mr. Meyer at age 26 completed a short story, ''Waves of Darkness,'' that won the O. Henry Prize in 1946.

After he returned home from the war, he was named a special assistant to Harold E. Stassen, a member of the United States delegation to the 1945 conference that founded the United Nations.

As Soviet influence grew in the postwar era, Mr. Meyer spread his hopes for arms control and a democratic world government led by the United Nations.

''He was young and idealistic and very much involved in the one-world movement,'' said Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, a former American delegate to the United Nations. But, she added, ''he was a consistent anti-communist'' who did not trust the Soviets.

Mr. Meyer was a founding member of the United World Federalists, where he fought for controls on the use of atomic weapons. He also helped establish the American Veterans Committee, a liberal group that sought to deny preferential treatment for veterans. While in that organization, he came in direct contact with Communist infiltration techniques, said his son, Mark Meyer. Mr. Meyer's moves to thwart Soviet agents helped exonerate him from accusations that he would soon face, his son said.

With the explosion of an atomic bomb by the Soviet Union in 1949, Mr. Meyer saw his hopes for arms control dissipate and was troubled by the Berlin blockade and the invasion of South Korea. He left his postgraduate work at Harvard and signed up with the C.I.A.

Two years after joining the spy agency, Mr. Meyer was accused by the F.B.I. of Communist sympathies. A C.I.A. hearing board eventually acquitted him of all charges.

Mr. Meyer had married the former Mary Pinchot, a free-lance writer and editor, in 1945. One of the couple's three sons, Michael, died at age 9 in a car accident. Soon after that, the couple divorced.

Mrs. Meyer was fatally shot in 1964 as she walked along the towpath of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown. A day laborer found hiding in the bushes along the canal was acquitted of the crime, and it remains unsolved.

After her death, Mrs. Meyer's sister and brother-in-law said they saw the top C.I.A. counterintelligence officer, James J. Angleton, try to break into her home and take her diary.

Mrs. Meyer's brother-in-law, Benjamin C. Bradlee, later became executive editor of The Washington Post. The diary, which Mr. Bradlee and his wife found later that day, disclosed an affair between Mrs. Meyer and President John F. Kennedy.

While at the C.I.A., Mr. Meyer eventually became second-in-command of worldwide clandestine services. But, in the public mind, he was more associated with a number of domestic activities, some of which were denounced as ''dirty tricks'' by his critics and are prohibited today.

In 1967, the leftist magazine Ramparts disclosed that the C.I.A., under Mr. Meyer's direction, had provided money to American student groups and a literary magazine as part of an anti-Communist campaign.

Five years later, news organizations reported that he had asked a publisher to let the C.I.A. review a book that was critical of the agency before it went to press. The publisher was a former colleague from Mr. Meyer's days as a liberal activist.

At the agency, Mr. Meyer supervised Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty, the United States government broadcasts to Eastern Europe.

Mr. Meyer wrote three books, including a memoir, ''Facing Reality,'' which reflected on his journey from an advocate of world government to his role as spymaster. For nearly 20 years ending in 1998, he was a nationally syndicated columnist; his work appeared frequently in The Washington Times.

In one magazine piece that suggested his *****ing personal creed, Mr. Meyer came to the conclusion that ''no sudden and spectacular improvement in the ways of the world is possible.'' Yet, in seeking a better existence, the key, he said, ''is to preserve faith without illusion.''

Mr. Meyer's survivors include his wife, Starke P. Meyer of Washington; his sons, Quentin, of Washington, and Mark, of Richmond, Va.; a stepson, Nicholas Anderson of Great Falls, Va.; a stepdaughter, Alexis Anderson of Washington; a brother, Thomas D. Meyer of Hamilton, Mass.; and a grandson.

Photo: Cord Meyer Jr. (Nicholas Anderson, 1980)

Correction: March 17, 2001, Saturday Because of an editing error, an obituary yesterday about Cord Meyer, a top Central Intelligence Agency official, misstated the name of an award he won in 1946. It was the O. Henry Award for best first-published story, not for best short story of the year.

Edited by Peter McGuire

Mrs. Meyer was fatally shot in 1964 as she walked along the towpath of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown. A day laborer found hiding in the bushes along the canal was acquitted of the crime, and it remains unsolved.

After her death, Mrs. Meyer's sister and brother-in-law said they saw the top C.I.A. counterintelligence officer, James J. Angleton, tried to break into her home and take her diary.

Mrs. Meyer's brother-in-law, Benjamin C. Bradlee, later became executive editor of The Washington Post. The diary, which Mr. Bradlee and his wife found later that day, disclosed an affair between Mrs. Meyer and President John F. Kennedy.

Edited by Peter McGuire

After her death, Mrs. Meyer's sister and brother-in-law said they saw the top C.I.A. counterintelligence officer, James J. Angleton, tried to break into her home and take her diary.

Can someone help me?

I am sure I commented here on this Forum about a movie that resembled Mary Pinochet Meyer with Donald Sutherland.

• 4 months later...

Can someone help me?

I am sure I commented here on this Forum about a movie that resembled Mary Pinochet Meyer with Donald Sutherland.

You are probably thinking of An American Affair directed by William Olsson and starring the fetching Gretchen Mol. Donald Sutherland, recently honoured with a Hollywood Star, was not in this movie.

<quote on>

Catherine is clearly inspired by Mary Meyer, the real-life Washington socialite who trysted with Kennedy and was slain within a year of his assassination, but "An American Affair" is more focused on Adam than D.C. lore.

<quote off>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/26/AR2009022603742.html

See also:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0899138/

Cheers

Can someone help me?

You are probably thinking of An American Affair directed by William Olsson and starring the fetching Gretchen Mol. Donald Sutherland, recently honoured with a Hollywood Star, was not in this movie.

<quote on>

Catherine is clearly inspired by Mary Meyer, the real-life Washington socialite who trysted with Kennedy and was slain within a year of his assassination, but "An American Affair" is more focused on Adam than D.C. lore.

<quote off>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/26/AR2009022603742.html

See also:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0899138/

Cheers

Mary Pinochet Meyer must have been one the first to be killed in the cover up of the assassination of President Kennedy.

"An American Affair" doesn't feel like a Washington movie at first, even though it dabbles in local conspiracy theory, makes dramatic use of the "Exorcist" steps and has a main character who's sleeping with John F. Kennedy. The typical Washington movie, even if it's a thriller, has that museum smell. "An American Affair" is fresh, earthy and open -- maybe because it plays out in homey parlors and on leafy residential streets, maybe because it's not about state secrets as much as it's about friendship, maybe because most of it was shot in Baltimore (but never mind that).

• 1 year later...
Guest Tom Scully

I'm surprised this thread didn't go anywhere, especially considering that Cord Meyer's obituary itself reads like a soap opera plot or a Hollywood movie script, a great American, tragedy, fairy tale, carefully crafted propaganda, or a combination of all three.

Knowing some of the background, I am impressed most by the numerous intros to what is not said in the lengthy New York Times narrative on this man's life on the occasion of his passing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/16/us/cord-meyer-jr-dies-at-80-communism-fighter-at-cia.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Cord Meyer Jr. Dies at 80; Communism Fighter at C.I.A

By CHRISTOPHER MARQUIS

Published: March 16, 2001

Mr. Meyer was a founding member of the United World Federalists, where he fought for controls on the use of atomic weapons. He also helped establish the American Veterans Committee, a liberal group that sought to deny preferential treatment for veterans. While in that organization, he came in direct contact with Communist infiltration techniques, said his son, Mark Meyer. Mr. Meyer's moves to thwart Soviet agents helped exonerate him from accusations that he would soon face, his son said.

With the explosion of an atomic bomb by the Soviet Union in 1949, Mr. Meyer saw his hopes for arms control dissipate and was troubled by the Berlin blockade and the invasion of South Korea. He left his postgraduate work at Harvard and signed up with the C.I.A.

Two years after joining the spy agency, Mr. Meyer was accused by the F.B.I. of Communist sympathies. A C.I.A. hearing board eventually acquitted him of all charges.

Mr. Meyer had married the former Mary Pinchot, a free-lance writer and editor, in 1945. One of the couple's three sons, Michael, died at age 9 in a car accident. Soon after that, the couple divorced.

After her death, Mrs. Meyer's sister and brother-in-law said they saw the top C.I.A. counterintelligence officer, James J. Angleton, try to break into her home and take her diary.

While at the C.I.A., Mr. Meyer eventually became second-in-command of worldwide clandestine services. But, in the public mind, he was more associated with a number of domestic activities, some of which were denounced as ''dirty tricks'' by his critics and are prohibited today.

In 1967, the leftist magazine Ramparts disclosed that the C.I.A., under Mr. Meyer's direction, had provided money to American student groups and a literary magazine as part of an anti-Communist campaign.

Five years later, news organizations reported that he had asked a publisher to let the C.I.A. review a book that was critical of the agency before it went to press. The publisher (Cass Canfield, a close friend of Allen Dulles) was a former colleague from Mr. Meyer's days as a liberal activist.

At the agency, Mr. Meyer supervised Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty, the United States government broadcasts to Eastern Europe.

Mr. Meyer wrote three books, including a memoir, ''Facing Reality,'' which reflected on his journey from an advocate of world government to his role as spymaster. For nearly 20 years ending in 1998, he was a nationally syndicated columnist; (Charles L. Bartlett split his two days per week, syndicated column space with Meyer) his work appeared frequently in The Washington Times.......

Who are the Bartlett brothers, besides being two boys who grow up on Jupiter Island with the Bushes, and introduced Jackie to JFK at David Bartlett's wedding to Gladys Pulitzer. David was an usher in Cord Meyer's brother, William's marriage ceremony to John Hay Whitney's niece, Sandra Payson.

HAROLD L. KORDA, FINANCIER, DIES; Was Little-Known Adviser...

‎New York Times - May 3, 1967

Harold L. Korda, a financier who had been an assistant and adviser to political figures, died of cancer yesterday at his home, 50 Sutton Place South. ... be held next Wednesday at 6 PM, at the apartment of David F. Bartlett, 830 Park Avenue.

Elizabeth Lambert, Teacher, Engaged to Ronald Mischner

New York Times - Nov 13, 1968

... Jack Mischner of 50 Sutton Place South, formerly of Call, Colombia. His father is president of the Korda Leasing Corporation here. Miss Lambert, an alumna of ...

From the WaPo - 4 May, 1967 :

PriscillaJohnsonHaroldKordaObitMay4_1967WaPo.jpg

CHINESE IN LEASE AT 50 CHURCH ST.; Procurement Mission ...

‎New York Times - Jun 13, 1960

Time-Life Lease The Korda Leasing Corporation, leasers of Industrial equipment, has taken space in the Time and Life Building, Avenue of the Americas (Sixth .

http://vectaris.net/id701.html

The Douglas A/B-26 Invader

Civil Registration:

N4050A

Model(s):

A-26C

B-26C

History:

Korda Leasing Corp, New York, NY, 1963-1964.

- Registered as M4050A.

- Gear collapsed during landing, Madison, WI, Aug. 20, 1964.

Washington confidential: Volume 1184

books.google.com Jack Lait, Lee Mortimer - 1951 - 310 pages - Snippet view

There are many of these bread-and-butter lawyers who accomplish what all the

politicians and five-percenters can't, because they really know the law.

For instance, one prominent politico told us that while few tax cases are

"fixed" at the Washington level, many a fearful and repentant chiseler has

been fleeced by smart operators who told him they were wonder-workers.

For results, he recommended two relatively unknown but very successful

practitioners, Bert B. Rand, Washington-wise attorney, and Nathan Wechsler,

hard-hitting, astute CPA, because they had the staff and experience to meet

the government on an equal basis. Similarly, in the field of constitutional

law and the intricacies of corporation procedure, and claim work, they look

up Loring Black, a former Congressman from Brooklyn, who retired from the

House in 1934. One young fellow who can do more for you in Washington with

less fanfare doesn't make it his business. He is Hal Korda, onetime

newspaperman, who has many powerful friends on both sides. When the Dems

found out he knew Republicans, and vice versa, they began to use him as a

channel to square things they didn't want to talk about directly to each

other, and he secured campaign contributions for both. Many members of

Congress lobby, legitimately, for their own communities,....

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19560823&id=42csAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZcsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4747,2578871

Herald-Journal - Aug 23, 1956

He was usually accompanied on his festive rounds by a dark, intent young man

named Hal Korda. Korda had been connected with Estes' Senatorial ... TGhen, when Estes made front pages,

Korda began to solicit funds for "Kefauver for President."

...For a campaign contribution of 5 G's (Korda) he could arrange it so the Mercury's then owner,

wealthy Clendennin Ryan, a reformer never known to shun publicity, could sit on the dias at the hearings....

AMBASSADOR GETS ITS LICENSE BACK; Theatre Commissioner ...

‎New York Times - Aug 25, 1943

Hal Korda of Metro has been appointed executive assistant to BP Schulberg, After spending t/lree months on the Coast, where he supervised the "Claudia"

HAROLD L. KORDA, FINANCIER, DIES; Was Little-Known Adviser...

New York Times - May 3, 1967

Harold L. Korda, a financier who had been an assistant and adviser to political figures, died of cancer ... His age was 46. ... His anonymity was by design.

President Kennedy: Profile of Power - Page 300

books.google.comRichard Reeves - 2011 - 800 pages - Google eBook - Preview

That night at 11:00 pm, Charlie Bartlett's friend, who was Hal Korda, a public relations man at US Steel, called Bartlett and said Blough was about ready to surrender. Bartlett called the White House, but the President was downstairs at ...

The WaPo 7 May, 1967 :

PriscillaJohnsonHowardKordaMay7_1967WaPo.jpg

The deeper I looked into this guy, the more I wanted to keep going. Both his NY Times obituary and the small death notice in the Times avoided any mention of who his surviving relatives were. All both stated was that a memorial service would be held at the Park Ave, NYC apartment of David F. Bartlett.

This man seems to have absolutely no connection to Sir Alexander Korda, but he does happen to have, among other things, a leased Douglas B-26 Marauder, a business office in the Time-Life Building, and a man from Cali, Colombia, with a son who was a star swimmer at Harvard in the mid 1950's to replace him after his death as president of Korda Leasing, which seems to have no appreciable publicized business activity, save for the airplane lease, and two bluffed business transactions around 1961, one involving Studebaker stock and another involving a second, controlling mortgage of Pleasure Island in Waltham, MA.

The obituary coverage of this "anonymous by intent" person in the NY Times, Chicago Tribune, and in the Washington Post seems over the top, given his obscurity, at the time, and now.

BTW, no Social Security death index record for ANYONE resembling an individual born betweemnn 1920 to 1922 who died in NY, NY in May, 1967.

Neither JFK, the Bartlett brothers, nor LBJ made any effort to hide their brilliant, bi-partisan advisor and fixer who was a high school drop out.

Mortimer and Lait wanted to discredit him, whatever their right wing motive for that, was.:

Help Wanted A Democratic Presidential

Page 4, Logansport Pharos Tribune, September 1, 1954

In 1950 Esles Kefauver introduced me to young fellow named Hal Korda who he said had practically ed me Now this aiy stery young man who once raised dough for Kefauver has a con servative Democrat bankroll looking for a candidate to stop Estes In the 56 convention He says they want no one ties to Eleanor Roosevelt Harry Dexter White the ADA internationalists or Figures Senator McClellan would have been okay if he didnt come from Arkansas and hadnt tangled with Joe How about Shivers

March 1963 President Kennedy's Schedule

http://www.historycentral.com/JFK/Calendar/March1963.html

The President next met with Edward Patterson, Charles Bartlett, Spencer Mosley, and Hal Korda. The President's next meeting was with Rusk, McNamara and .

U.S. news & world report: Volume 56

books.google.com 1964 - Snippet view

HOW LBJ IS WOOING BUSINESSMEN Within a period of 36 hours, he made a free-wheeling, one-hour speech to the Chamber of Commerce of the US, received a group of financial authorities, and served as host— as well as principal speaker— at a black-tie dinner in the White House for about 60 top businessmen and their wives. At the Chamber of Commerce meeting, Mr. Johnson laid aside a 15-minute prepared speech and talked off the cuff for an hour. Businessmen were treated to the Johnson wit, political philosophy, and even a bit of good-natured scolding about business's "martyr complex." A laugh a minute. The President clearly enjoyed himself, and to all appearances his audience did too. By one count, he was interrupted 60 times by applause or laughter or both. Mr. Johnson then returned to the White House to receive a task force of

John R. Kimberly, pres., Kimberly-Clark Corporation. Harold Korda, pres., Korda Leasing Corporation. Ralph Lazarus, pres., Federated Department Stores.

Covers 1-4

cisupa.proquest.com/ksc_assets/catalog/100372.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

The Council of Economic Advisors under President Johnson [microform] / project ..... mainly of the files of Ackley and Okun (see the Source and Editorial Note on page ix of ..... Levinson; Stanley H. Ruttenberg; John P. Lewis; Harold L. Korda.

(Charles L. Bartlett thread: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14027 )

I am also surprised that this thread isn't more active... Cord Meyer seems right in the middle of the intrigues surrounding JFK's assassination. He had strained relations with JFK, apparently over an ambassaborship he was denied... and then JFK had an affair with his wife. The death of Meyer's young son was itself mysterious, and came on the heels of some internal CIA disputes, having the appearance (i.e.intent) of silencing Meyer. The murder of Mary Meyer - if one digs into the details - is certainly an enigma. The accussed (acquitted) killer seems a 'patsy' and the timing and circumstances of her death are sinister, suggesting that she knew something dangerous to the conspiracy. And then there's Angelton's post-event presence and the "diary". When asked who killed his wife, he is quoted as saying "the same bastards that killed John Kennedy". Last, Cord Meyer seems to me a dichodemy... a central figure in CIA 'Mockingbird' strategies and an acknowledged CIA subject matter expert in covert operations (some accounts call him one of the founding fathers of such). Yet, he is portrayed as both liberal and a suspect Communist; educated and erudite, a covert specialist and a gentleman... which one was it? Cord Meyer sure had motive, means and opportunity. I think there's lot more to him than meets the eye.

Guest Tom Scully

I read that Cord and Mary Meyer divorced in 1956. He was a busy guy and she had a lot of interests. I don't understand why, when Mary was shot to death in fall, 1964, the question put to Meyer in 2001 by the "journalist" C. David Heymann would be "who killed his wife." If you've been divorced, and even if you had children with your former spouse, in my experience, you tend to move on, and the link fades.... you are not all that concerned about who your ex is sleeping with, and other intrigues. They had been divorced a long time, by the 1962 to 1964 period, and as I said they both led full, interesting lives.

The info in the quote boxes below, documents the following :

Ben Bradlee : In addition to everything described in Cord Meyers Obituary, Ben Bradlee is also aware of, despite garbage put out, such as this :

Grace And Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House - Page 140

books.google.comSally Bedell Smith - 2006 - 686 pages - Preview

The real source of the rivalry between Bartlett and Bradlee, as often happened with old boarding-school boys, was St. Mark's, where they had been classmates in the mid- thirties. Bartlett had disapproved of Bradlee's irreverence and ... More editions

Ask Not: The Inauguration of John F. Kennedy and the Speech That ...

books.google.comThurston Clarke - 2010 - 272 pages - Google eBook - Preview

... Bartlett and Bradlee were ignorant of important facts of Kennedy's life: Author's interviews with Bradlee and Bartlett,

The facts are that Bradlee and Charles Bartlett and his brother, David, has their own backgrounds and alliances, and they seem to conflict with their friendship with JFK, The two "journalists" had blinders on, by choice, and have been silent all these years on a bunch of issues.

Consider that Bradlee was once the son-in-law of Leverett Saltonstall, and that he has lived in the house of the son of assassinated president, Abraham Lincoln, since 1983, and that he has known Charles Bartlett, and presumably his brother, all of his life. Both are 90 years old, now.

Bradlee's cousin married Charles Clucas shortly after Clucas divorced Phyliss Washington DeMohrenschildt.

Bradlee had to have some awareness that Joseph Dryer was produced by Jake Cogswell for the HSCA and that Dryer testified to knowing and meeting with DeMohrenschildt. He also had to be aware that Cogswell was close to Veciana and Godoy and had been a V.P. of a nickel mining company in Cuba.

He was probably aware that Dryer had hosted half a dozen Bay of Pigs survivors in his West Palm mansion after they were repatriated. He probably knew how well and how long Bartlett's brother, David's brother-in-law, Peter Pulitzer, knew Joe Dryer before Dryer parternered with Pulitzer in the Hotel Amsterdam. (See Linked page at bottom of this post.)

David Bartlett and his ex-wife Gladys Mumm Pulitzer had two daughters before Gladys divorced him and married, in 1959, the future chairman of JP Morgan and later, president of the World Bank, Lewis T. Preston. Gladys died last fall, so now we can see that she started a company I can find almost nothing about (Bell Cane Co.) except that it seemed to be involved in Asian imports, so maybe it is related to David Bartlett's mystery friend, Hal Korda.

David and Gladys's daughter, Linda, somewhere along the line, married Leverett Saltonstall Miller, 19 years her senior. Miller is the nephew of CV Sonny Whitney, of Pan Am Airways fame, and Miller's mother, Flora and CV were first cousins of Jock Whitney.

With such a growing and interesting set of his brother's family and friends, is it any wonder Charles Bartlett gave half of his syndicated column space to Cord Meyer and then gradually disappeared?

History seems to be telling us that the Kennedys and widow, Jackie, were too deeply involved with the people who have the most explaining to do, to ever be in a position to ask for explanations, Everywhere I turn, a Kennedy is too close to the people who should be interrogated. RFK's son, Joe, was the Milton roommate of John Ellis, son of Nancy Bush and Alexander Ellis. George Bush described Charles Bartlett, as "my good friend." It is a liability to dismissive or partisanship when all of the suspects you consider your friends are intensely partisan and to the right of you, politically.

http://www.palmbeach...of-1947068.html

Gladys Pulitzer Preston, granddaughter of the founder of the Pulitzer Prize, dies

Gladys Pulitzer Preston of Palm Beach, the granddaughter of the founder of the Pulitzer Prize, died on Friday, Oct. 28, 2011, in New York.

Formerly of Washington, D.C., and New York, Mrs. Preston was the daughter of Gladys Mildred Munn and Herbert Pulitzer. She was a granddaughter of Joseph Pulitzer, publisher of The New York World and St. Louis Post Dispatch newspapers, who founded the Pulitzer Prize.

Mrs. Preston, who was known as “Patsy,” graduated from the Palm Beach Day School and The Foxcroft School, Middleburg, Va., and she earned an associate of arts degree from Finch College, New York.

Her first marriage to David Frost Bartlett ended in divorce....

Mrs. Preston was recognized in Sports Illustrated on Dec. 25, 1961, as one of the world’s loveliest sportswomen. In 1952, she caught a world-record fish for a woman, a black marlin weighing 1,230 pounds off Cabo Blanco, Peru.

A model at the Aileen Ford Agency, Mrs. Preston also was the innovator of The Bell Cane Company.

She is survived by her four daughters, Linda B. Miller of Palm Beach, Victoria B. Donaldson of Yorktown, N.Y., Priscilla P. Hallowell of Katonah, N.Y., and Electra P. Toub of New York City; and a stepdaughter-in-law, Janis M. Borie. ....

Social Register Online | S2012 OBITS

www.socialregisteronline.com/#!__s2012-obits/gladys...preston

Mrs. Lewis T. Preston (BartlettGladys Munn Pulitzer) of New York and Palm Beach died on October 28, 2011, ... She married Lewis Thomas Preston in 1959.

http://www.nytimes.c...m-producer.html

Maria-Flora Miller, College Student, Weds Anthony Smoller, Film Producer

Published: August 26, 1990

Maria-Flora Miller, the daughter of Ava Mohas of Mill Neck, L.I., and Leverett Saltonstall Miller of Fairfield, Fla., was married yesterday to Anthony Michael Smoller, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Smoller of Larchmont, N.Y. James H. McIntyre, the town justice of Long Lake, N.Y., performed the ceremony at Camp Togus, the summer home of the bride's family in Whitney Park in the Adirondacks.

Mrs. Smoller, 25 years old, graduated from the Foxcroft School and expects to graduate next May from Pacific Oaks College, where she is studying early-childhood education. Her father owns T-Square Stud, a thoroughbred horse farm in Fairfield. She is a granddaughter of the late Flora Whitney Miller and the late G. Macculloch Miller of New York, and a great-granddaughter of Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, the founder of the Whitney Museum of American Art. Mrs. Miller was the chairwoman and president of the museum. Mr. Miller was an architect.

The bridegroom, 28, is an independent film producer in Los Angeles. He graduated from Choate Rosemary Hall and Cornell University.

http://www.glamourgi...show.php?id=208

25 July c. 29 is born in Bogacs, Hungary ? war separates her from her parents and siblings and brings her to Germany ? at a U.S. office in Regensburg, Germany, she meets Fred S. Norring, an Army Intelligence officer ? marries Norring. He's approximately 12 years her senior. c. 49 Norring takes her with him to the States ? as a cover girl on LOOK magazine, she’s spotted by director Billy Gordon......

Cl .Canton Walker .

Reading Eagle - Dec 11, 1956

Mrs. Leverett Saltonstall Miller (actress Ava Norring) worried over whereabouts of her mother, sister and brother Hungary . Francoise Sagan composing lyrics ...

http://articles.lati...e-home-20120126

January 26, 2012|By Richard Verrier, Los Angeles Times

Motion Picture Home to remain open, admit new residents The charity that runs a nursing home for Hollywood actors and others reverses a controversial decision and will keep the home open. Finances have improved under new management, the charity says

"It's been a long wait, but I couldn't be happier," said Hungarian-born actress Ava Bliss, an 87-year-old resident of the home whose credits under the name Ava Norring include the 1952 film "The Snows of Kilimanjaro." "It means that I don't have to worry any more about whether I have to leave tomorrow or the week after."

Whitney Miller and Robert Douglass Jr. - New York Times

http://www.nytimes.c...ngs/21MILL.html

May 21, 2006 – Her father and her mother, Linda Bartlett Miller, are the owners of T-Square Stud, a thoroughbred horse farm in Fairfield, Fla. Her father ... in New York, and a founder of the Museum of Polo and Hall of Fame in Lake Worth, Fla.

https://www.google.c...biw=960&bih=626

^ Miss Pamela Tower to Be Married Dec. 20 In Aiken, SC, to...

New York Times - Nov 15, 1941

Mrs. G. Macculloch Miller of Westbury, LI, and Aiken, SC, has announced the engagement and ^forthcoming marriage of her daughter, "Miss Pamela Tower, ...

Aiken Colony in Winter Residence

Chicago Tribune - Jan 31, 1932

Mr. and Mrs. G. MacCUlloch Miller have opened the old 'Whitney home, the property or .Mlrs. 'Miller's , Mrs. 1larry Paynle Whitney. Mrs. '. TP Tlazard is the or Mr.

1. Leverett Miller to Wed Mrs. Virginia G. Mower

New York Times - Feb 27, 1969
    26 -Mrs. Virginia (Gypsy) Gennett Mower and Leverett Saltonstall Miller, son of Mr . and Mr. and Mrs. G. Macculloch Miller of 10 Gracie Square, New York, and ...

2. MRS. TOWER TO WED IN CAIRO TODAY; Daughter of Mr. and Mrs...

New York Times - Feb 24, 1927
    ... Sixty-seventh Street, will be married today in Cairo, Egypt, to G. MacCulloch Miller of this city, according to an announcement made last night by Mr. Whitney.

3. A Daughter to Mrs. GM Miller.

$3.95 -
    New York Times - Oct 9, 1928
    A daughter was born recently to Mr. and Mrs. G. Macculloch Miller of Old , LI at the home of Mrs. Miller a parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Payne Whitney, 871 Fifth ...

http://www.newyorkso...ary11_24_06.php

Patsy Pulitzer Preston, pictured second from left, next to her little brother, Peter Pulitzer, "remembers the day when we were all lined up in our white shoes."

"My mother, Gladys Munn, was the most loving, most caring person in the world, who died of TB in 1938, two years after the photo. My father's last years with my mother were spent traveling around the world trying to find a cure that did not exist. Because of the contagion and beliefs of the time, we were unable to be in the same room with her. Imagine, never being able to see the person you love the most," she expressed......

Pulitzer and Dryer

http://educationforu...79

forgive me if this one's been done already.

since that e. howard hunt tell-all a couple years ago i would think a lot of the jfk assassination researchers would have turned a great deal of their energy on Cord Meyer. anything new? the spartacus bio on him does not mention hunt's allegations.

The page is updated with information about the confession.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmeyerC.htm

You can hear the confession here:

http://www.saintjohnhunt.com/testament.html