The Education Forum

VIRTUAL JFK

Synopsis

Tackling head-on the most controversial and debated _what if_ in U.S. foreign policy, this provocative work explores what President John F. Kennedy would have done in Vietnam had he not been assassinated in 1963. Drawing on a wealth of recently declassified documents, frank oral testimony of White House officials from both the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, and the analysis of top historians, this book presents compelling evidence that JFK was ready to end U.S. involvement well before the conflict escalated. With vivid immediacy, readers will feel they are in the president's war room as the debates raged that forever changed the course of American history_and continue to affect us profoundly as the shadows of Vietnam stretch into Iraq.

Karl Helicher - Library

Karl Helicher - Library

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Vietnam-If-Kennedy-Had-Lived/James-G-Blight/e/9780742556997

• 2 months later...

I recently watched this film on the Documentary Channel. Overall, I was impressed. There isn't any literal statement that JFK's assassination was connected to his Viet Nam policy, but the inference is fairly clear, imho.

JFK's taped telephone conversation with McNamara, where he declares that it is best, for political reasons, to simply pull gradually out of Viet Nam without a public press release, is emphasized, as is JFK's acknowledgement (at I believe his last press conference) that the first 1000 Americans will be withdrawn by the end of 1963. When we combine this with the powerful evidence of NSAM 263, I don't see how anyone, not even deluded "leftists" like Noam Chomsky and Alexander Cockburn, can persist in maintaining that our policy in Viet Nam wouldn't have changed, even if JFK had not been assassinated.

This film also boasts a large number of JFK's patented witty quips at his various press conferences. That alone makes it entertaining, imho. For those who haven't seen Virtual JFK- I think you will enjoy it.