The Education Forum

LIFE MAGAZINE

The day after an election in which he bested Nixon by a miniscule 113,000 votes out of more than 68 million ballots cast, president-elect Kennedy gave a brief victory speech at the Hyannis Armory. "The election," he said, "may have been a close one, but I think that there is general agreement by all of our citizens that a supreme national effort will be needed in the years ahead to move this country safely through the 1960s. I ask your help in this effort and I can assure you that every degree of mind and spirit that I possess will be devoted to the long-range interests of the United States and to the cause of freedom around the world. Now my wife and I prepare for a new administration and for a new baby." Above: Jackie and John Kennedy, with his mother Rose (left) and his sister Eunice Shriver, at the Hyannis Armory, Nov. 9, 1960. http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/51881/jfk-unpublished-never-seen-photos?xid=weeklytopten

The day after an election in which he bested Nixon by a miniscule 113,000 votes out of more than 68 million ballots cast, president-elect Kennedy gave a brief victory speech at the Hyannis Armory. "The election," he said, "may have been a close one, but I think that there is general agreement by all of our citizens that a supreme national effort will be needed in the years ahead to move this country safely through the 1960s. I ask your help in this effort and I can assure you that every degree of mind and spirit that I possess will be devoted to the long-range interests of the United States and to the cause of freedom around the world. Now my wife and I prepare for a new administration and for a new baby." Above: Jackie and John Kennedy, with his mother Rose (left) and his sister Eunice Shriver, at the Hyannis Armory, Nov. 9, 1960. http://www.life.com/...id=weeklytopten