The Education Forum

The National Security State and the Assassination of JFK

Guest James H. Fetzer

Oswald conducted more than one day of leafleting, and there was more than one cameramen filming him.

One cameraman, a guy named Martin, later showed up in Dallas and filmed some assassination related scenes.

Another guy who Oswald paid to assist him in the leafleting on one occasion, named Steele, was an FBI informant, and shouldn't be confused with the brothers.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

Ah! So it’s more complex than I assumed. It was August 9th that Oswald, while handing out his leaflets, was confronted by Bringuier and his friends - everyone got arrested for disturbing the peace. As I understand it, FBI informant Charles Hall Steele Jr. was helping Oswald out on this day. A week later, August 16, Oswald, with two hired helpers according to some sources, again passed out his leaflets. This later event happened in front of the international Trade Mart and was filmed by WDSU TV.

Bill, might I be correct in assuming that we would be looking at the McCurley Brothers assisting Oswald in the WDSU Trade Mart footage?

Edited by Tom Hume

Ah! So it's more complex than I assumed. It was August 9th that Oswald, while handing out his leaflets, was confronted by Bringuier and his friends - everyone got arrested for disturbing the peace. A week later, August 16, Oswald, with two hired helpers according to some sources, again passed out his leaflets. This later event happened in front of the international Trade Mart and was filmed by WDSU TV.

Bill, would I be correct in assuming that we would be looking at the McCurley Brothers assisting Oswald in the WDSU Trade Mart footage?

Hi Tom,

I don't know. I don't know what Steele looks like or the McCurley brothers.

I thought I learned more about Frankie Hydell, the bartender who worked at the Black Lantern gay bar in Baton Rouge, where the McCurley's are said to have hanged out, but its not the same guy who was wacked by the New York mob for being a snitch, since that Hydell was only 30 years old in 2003.

I think there might be more in McComb's records at Tennessee State U.

BK

A friend on this forum just pointed me toward Commission Document #365 which has some information on the McCurley Brothers and there are mug shots too (well, sort of). Pages 44 through 53 are the most pertinent, but the whole thing is only 64 pages and might be worth a look.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=10766&relPageId=44

It turns out that James McCurley was identified by police on the WDSU-TV footage of Lee Oswald’s August 16th International Trade Mart leafleting. I can’t be sure, but I suspect that Oswald’s second helper, the guy in the Bermuda shorts, is James’s brother, Richard. I’m not sure what purpose it would serve, but an unedited copy of the WDSU film might clear up this issue.

This all seems way off topic - sorry.

Edited by Tom Hume

A friend on this forum just pointed me toward Commission Document #365 which has some information on the McCurley Brothers and there are mug shots too (well, sort of). Pages 44 through 53 are the most pertinent, but the whole thing is only 64 pages and might be worth a look.

http://www.maryferre...66&relPageId=44

It turns out that James McCurley was identified by police on the WDSU-TV footage of Lee Oswald’s August 16th International Trade Mart leafleting. I can’t be sure, but I suspect that Oswald’s second helper, the guy in the Bermuda shorts, is James’s brother, Richard. I’m not sure what purpose it would serve, but an unedited copy of the WDSU film might clear up this issue.

This all seems way off topic - sorry.

I don't think its off topic, I think it cuts right to the heart of the National Security State.

BK

Here’s the link to Commission Document #365, followed by a link to Commission Exhibit 1413.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=10766&relPageId=40

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1413.pdf

If I understand this correctly, on Feb 24, 1964, Commission Document number 365 became Commission Exhibit 1413, or at least some of it did. On page 40 of #365 there is a note that says, “Not for release. Contains homosexual allegations about persons apparently not involved…Let’s withhold pp 36-41 & release the rest.”

Those six pages that didn’t make it to Exhibit 1413 include mug shots of the McCurley Brothers, prints and arrest records of James McCurley, and pages 51 and 52, a letter from Investigator George L. Risley, connects Oswald to the McCurley brothers, who apparently frequented a gay bar named The Black Lamp Lounge (with a bartender named Hydell), and the second page of the letter contains information about David W. Ferrie, an ex-Eastern Air Lines pilot with “definite homosexual tendencies”

I’m curious if anyone has ever interviewed the McCurley brothers, ever looked into the clientele of The Black Lamp Lounge. Did David Ferrie hang out there? Oswald? Clay Shaw? So far it looks like the McCurley brothers might still be alive.

Edited by Tom Hume

At Lancer’s November in Dallas 2006, two researchers, Stu Wexler and Jim Oliver, gave a presentation on “Oswald and the Black Lamp Lounge.”

http://www.jfklancer.com/dallas06/lancer.pdf

Stu Wexler is a High School Advanced Placement studies teacher who graduated from Tulane University in 1998 with a degree in history and a minor in philosophy. He has been researching the JFK assassination since the 7th grade, and has made presentations on the subject at his high school and previous JFK Lancer NID Conferences. Wexler's main interests in the case are Oswald's background and the physical evidence. Stu is presenting information concerning Oswald and the Black Lamp Lounge.

Jim Oliver is a Louisiana based television journalist and JFK researcher. Jim has been researching and studying the assassination of John F. Kennedy for over 30 years. He has produced numerous television segments on various aspects of the assassination including several interviews with Jim Garrison. Jim is presenting information concerning “Oswald and the Black Lamp Lounge”.

Stuart Wexler is a member of this forum and I will contact him and ask if he can find the time to share some of his research with us on this thread.

Edited by Tom Hume