The Education Forum

Mike Wallace Interviews Major Donald Keyhoe in 1958

As I've written on other threads, I think Richard M Dolan's book is one of the best written on the subject of UFOs and the national security state.

In fact that is the title of Dolan's book(s). This is what he wrote about Keyhoe in his introduction:

Beside this, the writings of Donald Keyhoe are essential reading. Keyhoe was NICAP's director from 1956 to 1969, and without question the most important UFO researcher/writer ever. His five books on the subject contain a wealth of information. It surely helped that Keyhoe was friend and associate to prominent figures in the American military and intelligence community, including Roscoe Hillenkoetter, Delmar Farhney, Arthur Radford, and others. Throughout, he elaborated on his contention that UFOs represented the technology of an extraterrestrial civilization. [12]

Keyhoe worked hard to obtain accurate reports, and succeeded far more than he failed. He also could look ahead, always a rare gift. In 1940 he wrote a prescient book on how the coming world war would be fought. In 1953 he daringly (and with remarkable accuracy) wrote about the future of space travel. But most importantly, Keyhoe scored coup after coup for many years while digging for UFO facts. His 1953 book alone contained several gems: (1) The first detailed account of the 1952 Washington sightings and the ensuing Air Force press conference, the latter description of which remains the best available anywhere. (2) The publication (obtained through official channels no less) of about 50 previously classified UFO reports, many of which flatly contradicted official positions that there was nothing to the phenomenon, and several of which suggested intelligent control beyond anything conventionally possible. (3) The outlines of the Robertson Panel, which Keyhoe quickly learned about. This last was truly a remarkable score, and was something only Keyhoe could have done.

It is the unavoidable fact that UFO researchers have not used Keyhoe's books effectively. Today, he is nearly forgotten. His books are absent from footnotes, and rarely appear in bibliographies. Prominent UFO researchers blandly acknowledge his key role in breaking the dam on information, and then ignore him. [13]

[12] Donald E. Keyhoe, The Flying Saucers are Real, (Fawcett Publications, 1950); Flying Saucers From Outer Space (Henry Holt and Company, 1953); The Flying Saucer Conspiracy (Henry Holt and Company, 1955); Flying Saucers: Top Secret (G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1960) and Aliens From Space (Doubleday & Company, 1973).

[13] To make my point, I refer the reader to the website of the J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS), which is generally considered the most academic of UFO organizations. In this website's selection of recommended reading, exactly one of Keyhoe's books receives any mention whatsoever, where it is buried among a number of books that are, frankly, not one-tenth as valuable. See

http://keyholepublishing.com/Intro.htm

Keyhoe's Flying Saucers Are Real was one of the first books I ever read as a kid. There were other UFO books I read in that era, the titles of which I can no longer remember, except for Adamski's Flying Saucers Have Landed. It was actually a two-part book, one being Adamski's nonsense and the second part being a very interesting discussion of UFOs going back to the ancient past, by Desmond Leslie (I think that was the name). I remember the one Frank Scully wrote about "Doctor G" and a crashed UFO with alien bodies (though I don't think it was Roswell). There was another well-written book that speculated, based on scientific reasoning, that the aliens were insects. But Keyhoe's was the one that was thoroughly credible. The one case he discussed that I still remember was Captain Mantell chasing a UFO that he described as looking "metallic and tremendous in size." His plane crashed and he was killed. The Air Force announced that he had been chasing the planet Venus.

• 7 months later...

From The Huffington Post

UFO Encounter Revealed After Almost 40 Years By Ex-Military Pilot: Exclusive

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/03/ufo-encounter-pilot_n_1396078.html

I'm skeptical of reports UFO but am undecided. I checked Larry Jividen on the FAA database and he is indeed an airline pilot. I have a few doubts about the account though. It seems the object was trying to avoid detection, it didn't show up on radar and evaded the plane. Why then would it appear as a "bright red" light?

Hanes said the account is credible because "...it had a number of witnesses" but there is no indication any of them confirmed Jividen's account.