The Education Forum

Law suits against Public Forums

Greg Burnham

Guest Tom Scully

Monk and Dr. Fetzer,

David and Judyth are both members of this forum. At the time David Lifton posted quotes or other details he attributed to Judyth's, as far as I know, she had posting privileges on this forum, and there was moderation in place.

Was Judyth's decision not to post on this forum, her decision? If she could not post because of problems with her vision, but learned of details in David Lifton's posts, despite her handicap, did she not have the option to get assistance in posting even a brief response to Lifton under her name in the thread where he had posted about her?

Could she not have obtained assistance to draft and send an objection in a PM to a moderator?

Compared to the rapid response options any member here has control of, what are the options of this Clay what's-his-name, who Martin posted quotes of, or any other non-member of this forum, to respond to a posted representation of a quote attributed to them, when the situation is that the quote cannot be verified except through the cooperation of the member here who has posted it?

I am sorry, but I think comparing the options Judyth had in reaction to anything about her posted in these threads, and the options that a non-member has, are different enough to compel you both to pick an example other than Judtyh. Any member who post on this forum is presumed vetted....that it is indeed them posting, or someone they have authorized to post in their name.

How does this standard compare to a member posting something like, "hey, I got an email from someone who claims he is the "Clay What's-his name" who Martin post quotes of. He requested that I post a clarification of the remarks attributed to him, and he wants all to know he never expected what he actually said to Martin to end up search engine accessible, under his name, on a forum...." vs. Judyth simply posting in the same thread Lifton had posted in, something like, "Well David, that is not how I remember our conversation, you've taken what I've said out of context, you've misunderstood what I said to you,....etc." We know immediately that the post originates from Judyth's account, she or any member has the potential to reply to whatever has been posted about them, nearly immediately.

Please do not compare what Lifton posted attributed to another member here, to what Martin posted, quoting a third party who is not a member and who would have hurdles Judyth did not have to jump; only the first of which is verifying who they are and that they are indeed the party Martin was quoting.

Tom,

Are we to understand you thusly: Your only concern, which led to making Martin's thread invisible, was protecting Clay? I was under an entirely different impression. From your initial moderation action you seemed to be questioning Martin's honesty, albeit in a not-so-cleverly disguised manner. You seemed to suggest that Martin may have been making the whole thing up! Now, if he wasn't fabricating the story, you still seemed concerned that perhaps there was no "Clay the archivist" to begin with. But, if that was true, then there was no Clay for you to protect either. Your arguments are becoming ever so circular.

I'm afraid I don't have enough crumbs left to find my way back home.

Monk and Dr. Fetzer,

David and Judyth are both members of this forum. At the time David Lifton posted quotes or other details he attributed to Judyth's, as far as I know, she had posting privileges on this forum, and there was moderation in place.

Was Judyth's decision not to post on this forum, her decision? If she could not post because of problems with her vision, but learned of details in David Lifton's posts, despite her handicap, did she not have the option to get assistance in posting even a brief response to Lifton under her name in the thread where he had posted about her?

Could she not have obtained assistance to draft and send an objection in a PM to a moderator?

Compared to the rapid response options any member here has control of, what are the options of this Clay what's-his-name, who Martin posted quotes of, or any other non-member of this forum, to respond to a posted representation of a quote attributed to them, when the situation is that the quote cannot be verified except through the cooperation of the member here who has posted it?

I am sorry, but I think comparing the options Judyth had in reaction to anything about her posted in these threads, and the options that a non-member has, are different enough to compel you both to pick an example other than Judtyh. Any member who post on this forum is presumed vetted....that it is indeed them posting, or someone they have authorized to post in their name.

How does this standard compare to a member posting something like, "hey, I got an email from someone who claims he is the "Clay What's-his name" who Martin post quotes of. He requested that I post a clarification of the remarks attributed to him, and he wants all to know he never expected what he actually said to Martin to end up search engine accessible, under his name, on a forum...." vs. Judyth simply posting in the same thread Lifton had posted in, something like, "Well David, that is not how I remember our conversation, you've taken what I've said out of context, you've misunderstood what I said to you,....etc." We know immediately that the post originates from Judyth's account, she or any member has the potential to reply to whatever has been posted about them, nearly immediately.

Please do not compare what Lifton posted attributed to another member here, to what Martin posted, quoting a third party who is not a member and who would have hurdles Judyth did not have to jump; only the first of which is verifying who they are and that they are indeed the party Martin was quoting.