The Education Forum

Last Word

Reading Books  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Have you purchased the book?

2. 2. Have you read the book?

Lane's book has a nice intro by Bob Tanenbaum.

That is really neat isn't it.

The former HSCA Deputy Counsel. That is really good. I can't wait for McAdams or DVP or Ken Rahn to call Tanenbaum a deranged, irresponsible Conspriracy Theorist.

Tanenbaum says that he only met Lane once while he was with the HSCA. Lane walked into his office and handed him a document. It was the FBI memo saying that they had listened to the MC tape and it was not Oswald.

Well, Phillips had just testified that the tapes were routinely destroyed about 8-10 days after recording. (Which is what the lying Anne Goodpasture also told Ed Lopez.)

So now, Bob confronted Phillips with the memo. He then asked Phillips if he wanted to retract his previous statement. Phillips read it, folded it up, put it in his pocket and walked out. Bob now wanted to begin perjury proceedings against him. But Congress balked.

Bob told that story in his book Corruption of Blood, but that was fictionalized. He also told it in Chicago, at a conference. But now we have it in black and white in a non fiction book.

Good thing to use for the 50th: CIA officer lies under oath about Oswald's activities in Mexico CIty.

Introduction by Robert K. Tanenbaum:

"Throughout American history, heroic individuals committed to the core principle of American exceptionalism have championed the unpopular righteous cause. They witnessed injustice and sought to correct it. They experienced intolerance and refused to accept it. They encountered evil and struggled to defeat it.

During many of these confrontations, they risked their reputations and reveled in unpopularity but because they understood that momentary public censure borne of ignorance and prejudice was the price paid for a pure soul and the cost of virtuous ethical conviction.

Mark Lane is such a man and Last Word is incontrovertible corroboration. Throughout his professional career, Lane has used his brilliance in and out of the courtroom to represent the underdog. Time after time, he challenged the government to present trustworthy evidence in the numerous cases he tried. He always spoke truth to power. He was so committed to exposing injustice, it can be said that he was willing to march into hell, to pursue a heavenly case."

Edited by Peter McGuire

It is a testament to Mark Lane's tenacity, but also to me a sad aspect of this book, that he has had to take so much time explaining the attacks against him and reorienting the truth. Nonetheless, he does that well.

I agree, but given the success of the defamation of Mark Lane over the years, rehabilitating the man's name is important. I don't know why, as a lawyer, Mr. Lane does not go after the government and its agents for defaming him.

Edited by Peter McGuire

• 5 months later...

Peter, although Mark Lane proved that he's a brilliant lawyer in taking on CIA agent Howard Hunt and convincing a jury that Hunt was lying, in my opinion that's all he accomplished. He only convinced a jury that Hunt lied about giving somebody some money for underground weapons. Basically that was it.

What Jim Garrison and Mark Lane both missed, in my opinion, was the major role played by resigned Major General Edwin Walker in the movements of rightist activity in both Dallas and New Orleans in 1963.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

"Mark Lane proved that he's a brilliant lawyer in taking on CIA agent Howard Hunt."

I agree with this part of your post anyway.

It's time to look at the big picture.

There is an abundance of evidence indicating a conspiracy in the murder of John Kennedy which makes anyone who believes in the official story look like a fool. I am not sure what your position is Paul, so don't consider my comment directed at you.

From the "Last Word" page 175, Actions of Secret Service Agents in the Follow - Up Car

"Those in the open vehicle or on the running board remained uninvolved, except for Hill. They were armed and automatic weapons had been assigned for the purpose of preventing rifle fire.

U. E. Baughman had been chief of the United States Secret Service from 1948 until 1961. He held that position under presidents Truman , Eisenhower and Kennedy. After the assassination, he said that he could not understand why Mrs. Kennedy had to climb over the back of the vehicle, " to get help," or how it was possible that with the entire Secret Service detail on hand why the only shots that day that had been fired at the president and no fire was returned. Surely, if the agents were concerned about firing into a location in the general vicinity of innocent spectators there was no reason why they could not at least level their weapons at the source of fire. That action, for which they were trained, might have caused the person firing from the targeted location to seek cover.

Baughman might have offered some valuable insight to the Warren Commission since the commission had assumed the responsibility of evaluating the actions of the White House detail on that tragic day.

However, his name does not even appear in the Warren Commission report. "

Edited by Peter McGuire