The Education Forum

The Death of John H. Davis

John Simkin

John H. Davies died from advanced Alzheimers last Sunday. Davis' mother, Maude R. Bouvier Davis, was the sister of John Vernou Bouvier, the father of Jacqueline Bouvier. Davies returned to the United States after the marriage of Jacqueline to John F. Kennedy. Davies decided to become a writer and in 1969, published The Bouviers: Portrait of An American Family. In the book he revealed that Jackie's grandfather, John Vernou Bouvier, Jr. (1865–1948) had fabricated the family's ancestry in a vanity book called Our Forebears. He also argued that John Vernou Bouvier was too drunk to give her away when she married on 12th September 1953.

Davis was the author of several books on John F. Kennedy and the Mafia. This includes Kennedys: Dynasty and Disaster (1983), Mafia Kingfish (1989), The Kennedy Contract: The Mafia Plot to Assassinate the President (1993), Mafia Dynasty: Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family (1994), The Mafia Family (1994) and The Bouviers: From Waterloo to the Kennedys and Beyond (1995).

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKdavisJH.htm

Sorry to hear of Mr. Davis' passing...his book 'Mafia Kingfish' got me 'hooked' on JFK assassination studies as a student at Louisiana State University in the late 1980s. I remember listening to him hold forth with his authoritative voice on many late night talk radio shows; my GPA probably would have been higher had I not heard of Davis or his works!

I located a copy of Mr Davis' obit, interesting fellow:

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/theridgefieldpress/news/obituaries/113399-john-h-davis-82-who-wrote-of-the-bouviers-and-kennedys.html

It contains details that many researchers will find interesting...

Edited by Shepard G. Montgomery