The Education Forum

Evidence Oswald was "a rather poor shot"

Gil Jesus

When shooting from the standing/unsupported position, LHO was a relatively poor shot.

When shooting at long range from a fixed position, with relatively high cross-winds, LHO had considerable difficulty in adjusting his sights to compensate for the cross-wind. (Which is more indicative of a math deficiency)

He thereby was an extremely poor shot at this.

When shooting from a "fixed" position at targets located at 300 yards, under normal firing conditions, LHO was a superior shot.---------As is evidenced by his true rangefire qualification record.

In fact, had LHO fired a score at the two (of five) stations, with as high a score as he achieved at three of these five firing statins, then quite possibly the USMC would have invited him to their marksmanship school at which all USMC personnel attend before attendance as a "shooter" at the National Rifle Association's rifle matches.

Tom

P.S. Albert Einstein was not "dumb" just because he did poorly at several academic subjects, but one can rest assured that his overall academic "average" came no where close to demonstration of his genius in math.

When shooting from the standing/unsupported position, LHO was a relatively poor shot.

When shooting at long range from a fixed position, with relatively high cross-winds, LHO had considerable difficulty in adjusting his sights to compensate for the cross-wind. (Which is more indicative of a math deficiency)

When shooting from a "fixed" position at targets located at 300 yards, under normal firing conditions, LHO was a superior shot.---------As is evidenced by his true rangefire qualification record.

In fact, had LHO fired a score at the two (of five) stations, with as high a score as he achieved at three of these five firing statins, then quite possibly the USMC would have invited him to their marksmanship school at which all USMC personnel attend before attendance as a "shooter" at the National Rifle Association's rifle matches.

Tom

P.S. Albert Einstein was not "dumb" just because he did poorly at several academic subjects, but one can rest assured that his overall academic "average" came no where close to demonstration of his genius in math.

P.S. The "oxymoron" side of this is exactly why would anyone attempt to frame someone for the assassination, if the person to be framed was totally incapable of performance of the shooting feat?

All of this purported "genius" in the framing of LHO, yet the culprits were insuficiently smart enough to pick someone who was even capable of making the shots?---------Give me a break!

This does not even make sense to most fifth graders.

P.S. The "oxymoron" side of this is exactly why would anyone attempt to frame someone for the assassination, if the person to be framed was totally incapable of performance of the shooting feat?

All of this purported "genius" in the framing of LHO, yet the culprits were insuficiently smart enough to pick someone who was even capable of making the shots?---------Give me a break!

Maybe the culprits figured all they had to do was plant a little false evidence and insufficiently smart people would accept that Oswald was the lone shooter. If so, history proved them right.

Maybe they didn't anticipate the President's murder would be filmed with a home movie camera.

Maybe the culprits realized that an honest investigation was highly unlikely.

Maybe the assassination didn't go as planned.

Maybe the culprits figured all they had to do was plant a little false evidence and insufficiently smart people would accept that Oswald was the lone shooter. If so, history proved them right.

Maybe they didn't anticipate the President's murder would be filmed with a home movie camera.

Maybe the culprits realized that an honest investigation was highly unlikely.

Maybe the assassination didn't go as planned.

Or maybe the plotters didn't care what Oswald's shooting record showed because they never actually intended to hide the existence of a conspiracy - which is why they orchestrated the Mexico City charade and told the press and the White House that Oswald was plotting with agents of Castro.

Maybe the assassination was a means to an end and not the final objective of the conspirators.

Maybe Mr. Purvis can explain why, if Oswald was a "superior shot", his lack of rifle ability earned him the nickname "xxxxbird" from his Marine buddies.

Maybe Mr. Purvis can explain why Oswald's fellow Marine Sherman Cooley said "If I had to pick one man in the whole United States to shoot me, I'd pick Oswald. I saw that man shoot, and there's no way he could have ever learned to shoot well enough to do what they accused him of."

Maybe Mr. Purvis can explain why Nelson Delgado described Oswald's marksmanship "as a joke."

Maybe Mr. Purvis can explain why Henry Hurt interviewed more than 50 of Oswald's Marine colleagues and found "virtually no exception" to the recollections of Delgado and Cooley.

The simple answer is, and will always be, that "It is impossible to win in argument with an ignorant man."[/b]

William G. MacAdoo

And, to be even more specific, with anyone who has not taken the time and/or effort to review and/or understand what LHO's Rangefire Qualifaction Record indicates, as well as what those USMC Marksmanship Experts had to say in regards to the shooting ability of LHO.

The fact that LHO wanted out of the USMC as soon as possible, should indicte to most that he could also care less about what his mandatory "requalification" score was.

What you, I, or the fencepost thinks on this matter is, and will remain quite irrelevant.

What the "Rangefire Qualification Record" of LHO indicates is the only true measure of his marksmanship ability.

And, it demonstrates that LHO was a superior shot, or at least when he wanted to be.

I think this is a rational contribution by Norman.

Perhaps a look at the scores over time can reveal anything unusual.

I think a similar perspective re rules and reality can be applied to the handgun topic.

• 1 year later...

I think this is a rational contribution by Norman.

Perhaps a look at the scores over time can reveal anything unusual.

I think a similar perspective re rules and reality can be applied to the handgun topic.

As indicated, there has been and will no doubt continue to be those who make "paper" qualifications. Just as there will be those who make "paper jumps" in order to maintain their airborne pay.

However! LHO entered the USMC shooting far better than most, which is no doubt a direct result of the fact that his brother (Robert) was in the USMC, and his half-brother (John Pic) was a member of the Rifle Marksmanship Team at the private school attended by all.

Of course, if one has a "crystal ball", then they can look into it and determine exactly which recruit requires someone else to fire and/or fudge for him prior to the individual having even fired the first shot.

It would be nice to see those, who frequently insert their foot in their mouth about LHO's rifle marksmanship ability, actually do some factual research which will demonstrate that LHO entered the USMC with the rifle marksmanship ability to have accomplished the three relatively simple shots fired in Dealey Paza.

Thomas H. Purvis

Enlisted Service----------Mississippi National Guard

Enlisted Service----------Regular Army Enlisted-------Mechanized Infantry Rifle Company

Officer Service------------Primarily U.S. Army Special Forces assignments.

P.S. Have personally fired "EXPERT" with the M-14 & M-16, and am not ashamed to state that LHO was in all probability, a much better shot than was I when firing at thargets of 300 meters and firing from a fixed and stable firing position.

It's great to see you posting again, Thomas.

I always find your contributions thought provoking.

Welcome back.

Thom is 100% correct.

In the Marines Drill Instructors do not teach the recruits marksmanship. That is the job of the PMI, Primary marksmanship Instuctor.

When qualifying 3 people maintain the shooters score. The shooter himself, the PMI, and the person pulling the targets in the Butz. There is no communication between the butz and firing line, and all 3 scores have to match. IOW there is no cheating.

The Marine Corp basic doctrine is that every man is a rifle man first. The idea of pushing through someone who was substandard is ridiculous. They simply provide further training until the person masters the skill.

I love it when people show their ignorance by bringing up Delgado. We know that the qualification Delgado is referencing is the one in California in which Oswald scores a 191.

Do you know what Delgado scored on that same Qual? 192.........some superior shot huh?

Oswald was far from being a "poor" shot.

oh really? you were out shooting with him? hogwash.

more hogwash. what are your sources for this exactly?

Tom

Thom is 100% correct.

In the Marines Drill Instructors do not teach the recruits marksmanship. That is the job of the PMI, Primary marksmanship Instuctor.

When qualifying 3 people maintain the shooters score. The shooter himself, the PMI, and the person pulling the targets in the Butz. There is no communication between the butz and firing line, and all 3 scores have to match. IOW there is no cheating.

The Marine Corp basic doctrine is that every man is a rifle man first. The idea of pushing through someone who was substandard is ridiculous. They simply provide further training until the person masters the skill.

I love it when people show their ignorance by bringing up Delgado. We know that the qualification Delgado is referencing is the one in California in which Oswald scores a 191.

Do you know what Delgado scored on that same Qual? 192.........some superior shot huh?

Oswald was far from being a "poor" shot.

Even though we may disagree on certain aspects of the actual assassination, at least we agree fully on the difference between "shooters" and "bull shi**ers".

Tom