The Education Forum

What JFK did for this country

Kennedy may have very well been some kind of a prophet or at the very least knew how our world would change. We now have telephones that need no cords, GPS's that direct you where you want to go, satellite TV's that provide any channel, big brother listening in and watching you, yes! Space has been the place to conquer for the NSA, NASA, Naval Intelligences, CIA, FBI, ATF, DEA. Our very government relies on outer-space to know what the world is doing.

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Very nice post Mr. Kaiser.

Thing with me is whenever I see such things is also saddens me on what he could have done more if he was never killed. I'm in the middle of Nelson's book and he has a conversation in there between JFK and his secretary. JFK is saying how in his 2nd term he wants to make a life in politics an honorable career and get rid of old congressional rules so that government service is on par with the advances in other areas at that time. Once I read that I just stopped and shook my head for probably 5 min or so. Really sad what this man had planned for the betterment of this country was never given a chance.

If you believe in fate and or destiny and that kind of thing, my personal belief is JFK was put here on earth to do mainly do these things in his time : Avoid a nuclear conflict and get out of Vietnam and similar skirmishes. He accomplished the first, and partially did the second (Laos). But with him taken away, he never got the chance to never put us in Vietnam as he wanted to in his 2nd term.

1 Inspired us to go to the Moon

2 Limited Test Band Treaty

3 Peace Corps

4 School Integration

5 Kept us out of Nuclear War

6 got rid of a poll tax

The reason I decided to start this post, was to get EVERYONE involved, to stop the subrogation between researchers, to bring together every adversary. To rejoice and not dwell in the past, to laugh, love and conquer his dreams, and not bicker over who's right or who's wrong. I hope that everyone reading this would help me in horning that which once was called Camelot.

To observe the changes this world has gone through in the last 50 years and where its headed in the next 50 years, to bring peace between the research community and provide evidence that may one day birth justice for our 35th president. God Bless you all!

Scott Kaiser

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347383/JFKs-50-year-old-prophecy-comes-true-documents-life-presidency-online.html

P.S. WWKD? (What Would Kennedy Do)?

Edited by Scott Kaiser

With 2013 nearly upon us, it will be 50 years to Kennedy's assassination 36 years to my father's murder neither have been solved, both have effected me in a huge part, none more then loosing my dad. Someone always knows something, heard something, was told something, I wonder how those who may have some knowledge about what it is I'm talking about can sleep peacefully at night, is there no conscious? No remorse? I know I'm not the only one that lost a loved one, many have. And when you think about those who you have lost at a young age it rips a peace of something out of you.

I love my father, with all my heart, my dad, daddy I called him. I knew he was not perfect, but who is? The one thing that I admire most about him was he never wavered in the relentless pursuit of wanting to know himself what happened to JFK. I guess poking his nose into JFK is what ultimately ended his life.

I love you dad, your son.

Scott

Edited by Scott Kaiser

I have taken his quotes and inserted some of what I wanted or that I am trying to say, I hope no one takes offense to me adding, subtracting or modifying his quotes. They certainly could have not been said any better.

Every thoughtful citizen who despairs of war and wishes to bring peace, should begin by looking inward--by examining his own attitude toward the possibilities of peace. So let us examine our own attitude, towards peace and freedom, here at home and amongst our piers. That the quality and spirit of our own society will justify, support and defend our efforts at home and abroad.

Edited by Scott Kaiser

One revolution is still necessary: The one that will not end with the rule of its leader. It will be the revolution against revolutions, the uprising of all peaceable individuals, who will become soldiers for once so that neither they nor anyone else will ever have to be a soldier again. How else will peace be attainable?

Fifty years ago Thursday, President John F. Kennedy told the world that "the torch had been passed to a new generation of Americans" whom he challenged to "ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country."

Caroline Kennedy told The Associated Press that she has been thinking over her father's oft-quoted inaugural speech on Jan 20, 1961, when he proclaimed that Americans "shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

"I think he really expanded and redefined our idea of what it means to be a citizen — that everybody has something to contribute and everybody has something to give back to this country that's given us so much," Caroline Kennedy said. "It's not just an obligation, but it's really a rewarding experience and really a belief in government and politics as a noble profession."

Kennedy joined members of her father's administration, civil rights activists, astronaut Buzz Aldrin and members of the first class of the Peace Corps — which JFK established — to mark the 35th president's legacy at the Capitol on Thursday.

About 100 members of the Kennedy family gathered at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. The center on the bank of the Potomac River stands as a living tribute to Kennedy, whose White House embraced the arts.

It opened three weeks of performances that will recreate moments from those "Camelot" days.

President Barack Obama in opening the concert Thursday night paid tribute to the "unfinished life" of JFK and said his inauguration and his accompanying call for Americans to serve their country still "inspires us and lights our way."

Obama, who wasn't born until later in 1961, hailed Kennedy for leading a "volatile America in this tinderbox of a world," with a steady hand, "defusing the most perilous crisis since the Cold War without firing a single shot." He also noted Kennedy's work to help blacks attend their choice of college, launch the Peace Corps of goodwill ambassadors around the world and set America's sights on landing on the moon.

Though the country faces different challenges today, Obama said, "we cannot forget we are the heirs of this president who showed us what was possible. Because of that vision, I can stand here today as president of the United States."

Earlier, speaking at a ceremony in the Capitol's rotunda, Vice President Joe Biden said Kennedy's cause was to bring America back "to what it should be."

"His call to service literally, not figuratively, still resounds from generation to generation," Biden said.

The celebrations come as the Kennedy power in Washington has faded. For the first time in 63 years no one with the Kennedy name is serving in elected office. Patrick Kennedy of Rhode Island left the U.S. House this month.

Caroline Kennedy said she wouldn't be surprised if someone in her family returned to national politics — but that it probably wouldn't be her. She flirted with a 2008 Senate bid in New York but bowed out.

Instead, she is announcing a new "Ask Not" public service campaign with Jimmy Fallon aimed at youth as part of a series of events to reconnect the Kennedy legacy with a new generation. The spots featuring Fallon will air on Viacom, Comcast and CBS television channels to promote the new website JFK50.org.

Caroline Kennedy hasn't given up on politics, though. While many young people place a high value on volunteering and community service, she said politics has somehow become less attractive to them. And she wants to change that.

"We hope they'll see that it's a continuum and you need the political process to solve these problems that they are already working on so hard," she said.

She also echoed President Barack Obama's call in a much lauded speech last week to set an example for young people with the nation's political discourse that has turned vicious at times. In his inauguration speech, JFK reminded people that even as the Cold War raged, "that civility is not a sign of weakness."

The anniversary will mark the opening of special exhibits at the Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston, featuring a handwritten draft of Kennedy's inaugural address and the family Bible on which he was sworn in. Such items also can now be found online as the library has digitized many historical records and artifacts.

Cellist Yo-Yo Ma performed Thursday night, along with Paul Simon, the American Ballet Theatre and others.

The National Symphony Orchestra played a new composition, "Remembering JFK (An American Elegy)," by Peter Lieberson. As part of it, Morgan Freeman read from Kennedy's famous speeches, including his inaugural address and his call for world peace at American University.

JFK's three grandchildren, Rose, Jack and Tatiana Schlossberg, read Robert Frost's poem, "The Road not Taken," and Simon sang "Sounds of Silence," which was written in the aftermath of Kennedy's assassination.

The Kennedys believed the American culture had come of age and could lead the world, Caroline Kennedy said.

Caroline said she can remember as a young girl seeing dress rehearsals for ballet and musicals staged in the White House, though she can't recall the famous performance by cellist Pablo Casals. Yo-Yo Ma will recreate that performance Jan. 25.

"I think I was probably already put to bed when he started to play," she said of Casals.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/20/jfk-th-kennedy-family-gathers-washington/#ixzz1oU0kYzRr

I am no school teacher, professor or Dean, I hold no PHD, Masters or Bachelor's degree. I am no researcher, Conspiracy Theorist or a lone nut believer in regards to Kennedy's assassination.

Just as the assassination has affected millions of people around the globe, many still argue the color of someones shirt, pants or hairstyle in some photograph taken in Dealey Plaza. How can anyone resort to uncovering the truth when so much of the truth had been distorted? Is it not time to stop, listen and wait for the appropriate time to respond or do we just sit back and hope it all unfolds?

I wonder how Mr. Kennedy would re-act to the reading of researcher attacking researchers?

We have come accustom to our own ego's that we offer little respect to someone else?

All I can say is, I have been on here for a short time, and all of you are extremely intelligent, with many of you holding the title of Dr. Please help me bring our community together. Mitt Romney has already been the first to show us how America should live by raising our standards by attacking our opponents, taking Obama's statement from "Yes We Can" to "I'm not sure we Can".

What ever happen to the idealogical good ole fashion politics, when Politicians would not just tell us what we want to hear, but rather bare truth to what we were told. It has gotten to the point where our law makers no longer care about what really happens in America so long as they hold a position in office.

There may never be another Camelot, but that doesn't mean we should loose sight of what Camelot had to offer, and the bases of JFK's very foundation was PEACE!

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Over a decade ago, on July 1, 1998, New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) celebrated 50 years of serving as the New York City region’s primary international airport. The airport opened in 1948 as New York International Airport, but was generally referred to as Idlewild (IDL). It is the newest of the New York region’s three major airports, and the only one to open since the Second World War. As the airport completes to be upgraded, it will continue to serve residents and visitors to New York for years to come.

The development of airline transportation over the last five decades is reflected in the airport’s history. New York International Airport’s first decade coincided with the introduction of large piston-powered airliners, such as Boeing’s 377 Stratocruiser, into airline service. As traffic increased in the 1950s, nine passenger terminals were built in various distinctive architectural styles to handle the larger jet aircraft that entered passenger service beginning in 1958. These were the days when New Yorkers would travel out to the airport to watch the new machines, and to dine at the Golden Door restaurant. However, dramatic increases in passenger and cargo traffic during the 1960s led to congested conditions at JFK by the time widebody jets were introduced in the early 1970s. New York’s proportion of international traffic began to decrease as airlines started direct flights between overseas destinations and other U.S. cities. After several false starts, including a mid-1980s Port Authority plan to redevelop the passenger terminal area, the airport is being improved. Completed projects include a new 321-foot control tower, improved roads, new Terminal 1 and cargo facilities. In May 2001 the replacement for the International Arrivals Building, Terminal 4, was dedicated. The airport's new automated rail system, "Airtrain", opened in December 2004. American Airlines built and is now using a new Terminal 8, replacing the classic American and United terminals. And in October 2008, JetBlue opened up its new Terminal 5, located behind the classic TWA Flight Center. For the full story of this project, see "JetBlue Takes 5 at JFK" in the January/February 2009 issue of Airliners magazine.

http://psa188.tripod.com/

Fifty years ago, President John F. Kennedy inspired people throughout the world to rise to the challenges of their era and to achieve in ways never before dreamed possible. Today, a new generation has the opportunity to embrace President Kennedy's ideals and to take on the challenges of the next fifty years.

The new film "Let the Word Go Forth" (above) is a re-creation of President John F. Kennedy's iconic inaugural address through many voices. Learn more about the people reciting the speech here.

JFK50 is a year-long celebration of the Kennedy presidency convened under the collaborative leadership of the JFK Presidential Library, Harvard Kennedy School, the Institute of Politics, the Kennedy Center and members of the Kennedy family. Explore this web site to experience JFK50 through stories, films, news and more.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/jfk50/

When Rick Santorum rebuked John F. Kennedy's 1960 speech on religion, he was repeating a common conservative view that the address did more harm than good.

In an interview Sunday with ABC's "This Week," Santorum, a Roman Catholic Republican, said he "almost threw up" when he read the remarks by Kennedy, who told the Greater Houston Ministerial Association: "I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute."

Santorum, competing for conservative votes in a close GOP presidential contest with Mitt Romney, argued that more religion was needed in American public life.

"The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country," Santorum said.

Kennedy gave the speech to the mostly Baptist Texas pastors at a time when Protestants openly wondered whether a Catholic U.S. president would take orders from the pope. In what would become a model for generations of American Catholic politicians, Kennedy insisted his policies would be based on his conscience, not church teaching.

"I believe in a president whose religious views are his own private affair, neither imposed by him upon the nation, or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office," Kennedy said, just weeks before the general election. "I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me."

John F. Kennedy

AP FILE - In this Nov. 10, 1960 black-and-white... View Full Caption

The address was widely considered an eloquent repudiation of bias and a landmark of American rhetoric. Kennedy went on to become the first Catholic U.S. president.

Yet, as years passed, the church and society underwent changes that led many Catholics and conservative Christians to conclude they were being pushed from public life. For them, the speech took on new meaning.

The U.S. Supreme Court ended sectarian prayer in public schools and legalized abortion. As a result, many Catholics and other Christians saw themselves surrounded by a hostile culture. At the same time, the global church was opening up to the modern world through the Second Vatican Council, prompting an internal Catholic split over whether the council's reforms were going too far. American Catholics — better educated and more integrated into American life — fractured along religious and political lines. Once a solid bloc of mostly Democratic voters, Catholics became swing voters, and Catholic Republicans, a rarity in Kennedy's day, gained influence.

Catholic politicians who supported abortion rights came under more intense criticism from church leaders. American bishops called a vote for legalized abortion cooperation with evil.

On the defensive, these Catholic lawmakers paraphrased Kennedy. They said Kennedy was arguing that even if faith shapes policy, the outcome still had to be acceptable to the wider public. Former New York Gov. Cuomo, a Democrat, in a much-quoted 1984 speech on abortion at the University of Notre Dame spoke of "the price of seeking to force our beliefs on others." Democrat John Kerry, the party's 2004 presidential nominee said: "I can't take my Catholic belief, my article of faith, and legislate it on a Protestant or a Jew or an atheist. We have separation of church and state in the United States of America."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/50-years-jfk-speech-part-culture-war-15809739#.T1kEKfWFuGc

During President John F. Kennedy's campaign for presidency millions watched his television debates with the Republican candidate, Richard M. Nixon. Winning by a narrow margin in the popular vote, Kennedy became the first Roman Catholic President. His Inaugural Address offered the memorable injunction: "Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country."

On January 3, 1961 LBJ took the oath of office for the full six-year term in the Senate and immediately resigned.

January 20, was administered the oath of office as Vice President of the United States by the Speaker of the House of Representatives Sam Rayburn. As Vice President, Johnson was a member of the Cabinet and the National Security Council, Chairman of the National Aeronautics and Space Council, Chairman of the President's Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity, and Chairman of the Peace Corps Advisory Council.

He was sent by President Kennedy on missions to the Middle East, the Far East, Europe, Latin America, Africa, and South Asia. May 11-13, 1961, he visited Vietnam while on a trip to Southeast Asia as President Kennedy's representative.

On April 20, the day Congress approved the amendment making the Vice President Chairman of the Space Council, President Kennedy sent Johnson a memorandum asking him to conduct an overall survey of the space program and to study the feasibility of going to the moon and back with a man before the Soviet Union could attain that goal.

After a careful study, Johnson replied on April 28, that a manned moon trip was possible, and "with a strong effort the United States could conceivably be first in those accomplishments by 1966 or 1967." On May 25, President Kennedy announced to Congress: "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before the decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to earth."

On November 22, Lyndon Baines Johnson became the 36th President of the United States following the assassination of John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas.

In an address before a joint session of Congress on November 27, Johnson pledged support for President Kennedy's legislative agenda, which included civil rights and education legislation.

Fifty years later:

Jackie Onassis believed that Lyndon B Johnson and a cabal of Texas tycoons were involved in the assassination of her husband John F Kennedy, ‘explosive’ recordings are set to reveal.

The secret tapes will show that the former first lady felt that her husband’s successor was at the heart of the plot to murder him.

She became convinced that the then vice president, along with businessmen in the South, had orchestrated the Dallas shooting, with gunman Lee Harvey Oswald – long claimed to have been a lone assassin – merely part of a much larger conspiracy.

Texas-born Mr Johnson, who served as the state’s governor and senator, completed Mr Kennedy’s term and went on to be elected president in his own right.

The tapes were recorded with leading historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. within months of the assassination on November 22, 1963, and had been sealed in a vault at the Kennedy Library in Boston.

The then Mrs Kennedy, who went on to marry Greek shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis, had ordered that they should not be released until 50 years after her death, with some reports suggesting she feared that her revelations might make her family targets for revenge.

She died 17 years ago from cancer at aged 64 and now her daughter, Caroline Kennedy, has agreed to release the recordings early.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023418/Jackie-O-tapes-reveal-JFKs-affairs-believed-death.html#ixzz1oZKWVGaq

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Jackie Kennedy is most often remembered as a beautiful and elegant First Lady with great taste in fashion, the Guinevere in the fable of an American Camelot. This is the main reason that tabloids have been salivating for decades over the epic seven-part interview with Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. recorded just a few months after President Kennedy's assassination in 1964 and meant to be embargoed until 50 years after Jackie's death. It's one of only three interviews the former First Lady gave after her husband's assassination, and excitement surged when news broke that Caroline Kennedy would release the interviews early, allegedly in order to stonewall the planned mini-series on the Kennedys starring Katie Holmes as Jackie. Caroline Kennedy now says the book is being released to coincide with the 50 year anniversary of her father's presidency. Regardless of the reasoning, the entire oral history--Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy--is scheduled to be released in book form with accompanying audio on Wednesday.

"Explosive" is the word most often used to describe what the unreleased Jackie Kennedy tapes would reveal. Last month, a volley of speculative reports suggested that the revelations may not be that explosive after all. So far, reports on the contents of the interview say nothing about her rumored affair with actor William Holden, but they do give us a glimpse of a sassier Jackie. New York magazine says that "Jackie O. would be perfect for reality TV" considering the extent to which the tapes portray her as a bit of a "backbiter," in Dan Amira's words. ABC News is hosting a two-hour special on the tapes that's so far highlighted how Jackie's admitting that the prospect of a Lyndon Johnson presidency made John F. Kennedy Jr. "worried for the country." The New York Times describes the interviews as "candid," noting that in the book's foreword Caroline Kennedy says her mother was in "the extreme stages of grief" when the interviews were conducted.

Sifting through the sneak previews, we've collected some memorable quotes. Indeed, some sound like they wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Jersey Shore, and others confirm that JFK was pretty suspicious of how his vice president would run the country. But collectively, they show us a Jackie we've never seen before. To borrow the Associated Press's description, "It's a side of Jacqueline Kennedy only friends and family knew. Funny and inquisitive, canny and cutting."

On her husband--quoting from The Times: "He was, she says, kind, conciliatory, forgiving, a gentleman, a man of taste in people, furniture, books. Fondly, she recalls him ever reading--while walking, dining, bathing, doing his tie. She remembers with amusement how he would change into pajamas for his 45-minute afternoon nap in the White House. She lets slip a reference to a 'civilized side of Jack' and 'sort of a crude side,' but she clarifies: 'Not that Jack had the crude side.'"

On her marriage--quoting from The Times once again: "Her marriage, she remarks, was 'rather terribly Victorian or Asiatic.' Her aim was to provide 'a climate of affection and comfort and détente'--and the children in good moods. She suggests the couple never really had a fight. She insists she got her opinions from her husband. On that last point, at least, Michael Beschloss, the historian, who was enlisted to write an introduction and annotations to the book, said in an interview, 'I would take that with a warehouse of salt.'

On the Cuban Missile Crisis: She told her husband, "If anything happens, we're all going to stay right here with you. Even if there's not room in the bomb shelter in the White House. ... I just want to be with you, and I want to die with you, and the children do, too--than live without you."

On her husband's opinion of LBJ: "Jack said it to me sometimes. He said, 'Oh, God, can you ever imagine what would happen to the country if Lyndon were president?'"

On "violently liberal women," her husband, and Adlai Stevenson: "Jack so obviously demanded from a woman--a relationship between a man and a woman where a man would be the leader and a woman be his wife and look up to him as a man. With Adlai you could have another relationship where--you know, he'd sort of be sweet and you could talk. ... I always thought women who were scared of sex loved Adlai."

On the positive reaction to her televised tour of the White House: "Suddenly, everything that'd been a liability before--your hair, that you spoke French, that you didn't just adore to campaign, and you didn't bake bread with flour up to your arms--you know, everybody thought I was a snob and hated politics. … I was so happy for Jack, especially now that it was only three years together that he could be proud of me then. Because it made him so happy--it made me so happy. So those were our happiest years."

On Indira Gandhi: "a real prune--bitter, kind of pushy, horrible woman."

On Charles DeGaulle: "that egomaniac"

On Martin Luther King, Jr.: "a phony"

Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments or send an email to the author at aestes@theatlantic.com. You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.

Adam Clark Estes

Sources

In Tapes, Candid Talk by Young Kennedy Widow, Janny Scott, New York Times

New book shows another side to Jackie Kennedy, Associated Press

Jackie O. Would Be Perfect for Reality TV, Dan Amira, New York

Jackie Kennedy interviews are full of surprises, Molly Driscoll, Christian Science Monitor

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/09/jackie-kennedy-tapes-quotes/42352/