The Education Forum

Robert Kennedy and the Assassination of JFK

John Simkin

In C. David Heymann's book, RFK: A Candid Biography of Robert F. Kennedy (2002) he argues that Bobby felt that he might have been partly responsible for the death of JFK: "Bobby's advice to visit Dallas, however, weighed less heavily on him than did his conduct over the whole of his brother's term in office, for he had been the driving force in the Kennedy administration's most aggressive operations. He had pushed the government to hound the mob, to chase down Hoffa, to destroy Castro." Heymann quoted Kennedy as telling Larry O'Brien that he thought it unlikely that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone: "I'm sure that little pinko xxxxx had something to do with it, but he certainly didn't mastermind anything. He should've shot me, not Jack. I'm the one who's out to get them."

Does anybody believe Heymann/O'Brien on this comment?

I wouldn't believe Heymann on anything. It's either in that same book or another one that Heymann wrote (buried in a footnote) that RFK told some Kennedy aide that it might be a good idea to blow up a U.S. airliner (killing everyone on board, of course) and blame it on Castro. Maybe RFK said such a thing or maybe he didn't, but I wouldn't take Heymann's word for it.

I wouldn't believe Heymann on anything. It's either in that same book or another one that Heymann wrote (buried in a footnote) that RFK told some Kennedy aide that it might be a good idea to blow up a U.S. airliner (killing everyone on board, of course) and blame it on Castro. Maybe RFK said such a thing or maybe he didn't, but I wouldn't take Heymann's word for it.

Ron, Heymann has no credibility whatsoever. His RFK book was the worst bio I've ever read. To call it trash is an insult to pollution. The idea above is so similar to ideas listed in the Northwoods document, I am certain that was where Heymann has taken it from.