The Education Forum

Journalists in Dealey Plaza

John Simkin

According to Barbie Zelizer, the author of Covering the Body: The Kennedy Assassination, the Media, and the Shaping of Collective Memory (1992), there were “fifty-odd journalists” with John Kennedy on 21st November, 1963. Zelizer claims that not one of these journalists actually saw the assassination as they were in the press car and the press bus at the back of the motorcade. Zelizer goes on to argue that James Altgens, Associated Press’s staff photographer, was the only member of the media who was actually in Dealey Plaza at the time of the assassination? Does anyone know if this is factually correct?

Mary Woodward and her friends spring to mind. Hugh Aynesworth was at the southeast corner of Elm and Houston, and Pierce Allman at the southwest corner. Then there is the case of Norman Similas, though I have my doubts about his story.

Jay Watson, Jerry Haynes, Jim Featherstone, and Dan Rather were near the plaza, though technically not in it. Although, who really knows where Rather was when the shots were fired.

Mary Woodward and her friends spring to mind. Hugh Aynesworth was at the southeast corner of Elm and Houston, and Pierce Allman at the southwest corner. Then there is the case of Norman Similas, though I have my doubts about his story.

Jay Watson, Jerry Haynes, Jim Featherstone, and Dan Rather were near the plaza, though technically not in it. Although, who really knows where Rather was when the shots were fired.

There were a number of members of the media in the press cars heading up Houston when the shots were fired. Their eyewitness accounts are collected in chapter 6 of my webpage.

Smith, Bell, Baskin, and Clark were in Press car #1, right behind the car in which Mayor Cabell was riding. This car was only three cars back from Johnson, and five from Kennedy. These men were news reporters.

Hoefen, Wiegman, Craven, Ryan and Atkins were in Press car #2. These men were TV cameramen and technicians.

Grant, Cancellare, Stoughton, Rickerby, and Burroughs were in Press car #3. These men were photographers.

Underwood, Dillard, Darnell, Couch, and Jackson were in Press car #4. Underwood, Darnell and Couch, were, as I recall, TV cameramen. Dillard and Jackson were photographers.

Edited by Pat Speer

Quote:

Hoefen, Wiegman, Craven, Ryan and Atkins were in Press car #2. These men were TV cameramen and technicians.

Grant, Cancellare, Stoughton, Rickerby, and Burroughs were in Press car #3. These men were photographers.

Underwood, Dillard, Darnell, Couch, and Jackson were in Press car #4.

Pat

Please refer to the image below from Trask's POTP