The Education Forum

Dallas Diminishes JFK, His Legacy, And Those Who Care About Democracy - WhoWhatWhy

Dallas Diminishes JFK, His Legacy, And Those Who Care About Democracy - WhoWhatWhy

http://whowhatwhy.co...bout-democracy/

''Prof. Graham apparently cannot fathom that long-time fans, enablers and perpetrators of violent coups against democratically elected leaders abroad could possibly support or cover up yet another coup, albeit a domestic one, against a man they deemed a threat. The professor is also content to ignore the final report of the House Select Committee on Assassinations (1979), which concluded that Kennedy was most likely killed as the result of a conspiracy''..

Also, I hope your promised series of articles on the assassination will include something more useful than a detailed debunking of a conspiracy theory that no one but the wingiest wing nuts has ever taken seriously

I have been teaching courses at SMU on the assassination and its aftermath for 20 years. It really is possible to have interesting conversations about the controversies and the texts that have presented and prolonged them, and if anyone doubts that, my students and I will be happy to show you how it’s done.

Tom Stone, Dallas

Curious about Tom Stone, I looked him up and found an article from the campus paper at SMU—Dallas-based Southern Methodist University– headlined “Students Study Kennedy Assassination.” It describes Stone’s class, in which he shows the work of another Stone, the film JFK by Oliver Stone. It quotes a student:

“It was cool because you walked out of seeing the movie totally believing in this huge conspiracy theory,” junior Brian Fox said.

“Then Professor Stone totally debunked the whole thing,” Fox said''

What will happen to these students when they start researching for themselves and discover that Professor Stone is oddly unaware of or uninterested in the veritable mounds of evidence that Oswald either was not the shooter or that he did not act alone? How will they feel about the trustworthiness of SMU overall, and the education it provides?

''

Then we learn that SMU is to “Host Yearlong Series of JFK Programs on 50th Anniversary of Assassination”:

Southern Methodist University will partner with the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum and the Sixth Floor Museum to host a yearlong series of public programs that will begin on President’s Day''

b

Edited by Bernice Moore