The Education Forum

can anyone identify this doctor?

I need a little help.

I am trying to work out who is standing next to Robert Shaw at this press conference. He is ringed in white. I am being led to believe that it is Tom Shires. I am not persuaded because the shape of the hair is very different. The shape of the head is more rotund that Tom Shires.

Ringed in green is Don Gustafson. Although his facial features fit, I understand that in November 1963 he was a first year resident. He died in April 2010. It is unlikely it would be him. I did consider Gerry Gustafson, but he informs me it was not him and in addition he wears glasses. The doctor in question is not wearing glasses.

That leaves me with two possible candidates. Ringed in red is Charles Crenshaw and he is inset in the lower left hand corner. However his hair style is not compatible. Ringed in cyan is the best candidate, James Terrell and he inset between Crenshaw and Shires.

I know nothing about him. Whoever it is, it is someone who does not perturb Robert Shaw, indeed Robert Shaw confers with him at one point.

There is a logic to it being Tom Shires, but everything argues against it. On the bottom right hand corner is an image of Tom Shires taken in 1970. I know that is seven years later, but the structure of his hair is just so different from the person I am trying to identify.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Parkland64_2_zpsd331c72f.jpg

James.

James,

The person who is standing next to Dr. Shaw is definitely not Tom Shires. Here are some comparison photos. Dr. Shires is the doctor in the second and third photos in this montage:

Doctors.png

Here's a clearer picture from the CBS footage. Obviously, the man to the left of Shaw is not Dr. Shires:

Parkland.png

You can also compare the doctors by watching the two videos below. The first one includes Shaw's

Nov. 22 press conference. The second video has some close-up views of Dr. Shires at Shires' press conference following the death of Oswald:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxLdtBaF1Ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfOZRbP7GI

Edited by David Von Pein

David,

Thanks to Gary Mack, I now know who it is. It is Bill Stinson the Administrative Assistant to John Connally.

Gary pointed out that the Sixth Floor Museum has an oral history and one or more related photos of him. There’s also this report including page 16:

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh21/pdf/WH21_Price_Ex_2-35.pdf

At this point Dr. Shaw came out of the surgeons locker room; he, Julian Read, the Governor's press aide, Mr. Cassidy, Mr. Stinson and I proceeded down to 101 and 102, where Mr. Stinson introduced Dr. Shaw, who gave a report on the progress of surgery thus far on Governor Connally.

You will find the complete description on P. 16 of the pdf.

James.

Edited by James R Gordon

Thanks to Gary Mack, I now know who it is. It is Bill Stinson the Administrative Assistant to John Connally.

How can it be Bill Stinson? The man is dressed like a doctor. Was Stinson suddenly called upon to put on doctors' garb and treat Governor Connally? ~shrug~

How can it be Bill Stinson? The man is dressed like a doctor. Was Stinson suddenly called upon to put on doctors' garb and treat Governor Connally? ~shrug~

He may have been wearing doctor's clothes so he could go into the room with Connally.

Bill Stinson was in and out of OR # 5 on multiple occasions during the thoracic operational procedures conducted by Dr. Shaw and others. I interviewed Stinson and exchanged correspondence with him in the 1990's on this specific issue and others that related to the wounding of John Connally. And yes, he was required to put on the standard operating garb, including mask, as well as "scrub in" before allowed access to OR # 5.

Gary Murr

Yes, it almost certainly is Bill Stinson. If you look in Seth Kantor's typed notes, there is a passage about Stinson being in scrubs, and coming into the room when Kilduff first announces JFK's death. Also, I have a filmed interview with Nurse Bell, and she talks about Stinson being in scrubs, and being inside the OR with Connally. (So. . Good for Gary Mack, for making that ID).

DSL