The Education Forum

Drew Pearson was set to drop a Bunker Buster Bomb column on Lyndon Johnson on Sunday 11/24/63

Guest Robert Morrow

Guest Robert Morrow

I am having trouble "cutting and pasting" material in my posts. The moderators might want to do something about that. I can't even copy a web link into my Ed Forum posts.

Philip Shenon's book "A Cruel and Shocking Act" has one very nice nugget: nationally syndicated columnist Drew Pearson was set to drop a bunker buster bomb column on Lyndon Johnson on Sunday morning 11/24/63 in millions of papers all over the USA. By 7AM Sunday morning LBJ would be in the process of his final political execution and personal destruction. LBJ at Friday noon 11/22 was indeed "Dead Man Walking" until the tables were flipped 30 minutes later.

Drew Pearson for decades had a vast platform of both newspaper and radio syndication.

This is in addition to Robert Kennedy feeding a LIFE magazine expose of LBJ due to be printed and mailed on 11/29/63 and 11/30/63 and a Robert Kennedy-fed Senate Rules Committee investigation that was literally taking testimony at the second a bullet is blowing open JFK's head in Dallas at 12:30PM Central time or 1:30PM Eastern.

You can read this material on my blog:

http://lyndonjohnsonmurderedjfk.blogspot.com/2013/12/nationally-syndicated-journalist-drew.html

Philip Shenon:

"Johnson was in Pearson's crosshairs in the Baker story. That very Sunday- November 24- Pearson's column was due to target the vice president over his financial ties to the lobbyist. In his diary, Pearson wrote that it would be "quite a devastating story" involving Johnson, Baker, and possible corruption in a $7 billion fighter-jet contract handed to General Dynamics, a Texas firm."

Edited by Robert Morrow

I am in an unusual position, in that I am halfway across the country from my computer, hence I am

not able to access my files.

At any rate there are two things about Lyndon Johnson most people do not know.

One, he was also in attendance, on Tuesday, November 19, 1963 at the same bottler's convention that RIchard Nixon, Joan Crawford & her Pepsi Cola CEO, then-husband were.

And two, I came across an LBJ obituary that stated he had patronized the same gun store,

Brantley's where the DPD Detective bought Jack Ruby's Colt Cobra.

I remember being shocked at how the Brantley/LBJ factoid was mentioned in such a nonchalant manner.

For those who are sceptical, you will have to wait until 1/1/14, when

I am back to being able to access my files.

I am having trouble "cutting and pasting" material in my posts. The moderators might want to do something about that. I can't even copy a web link into my Ed Forum posts.

Philip Shenon's book "A Cruel and Shocking Act" has one very nice nugget: nationally syndicated columnist Drew Pearson was set to drop a bunker buster bomb column on Lyndon Johnson on Sunday morning 11/24/63 in millions of papers all over the USA. By 7AM Sunday morning LBJ would be in the process of his final political execution and personal destruction. LBJ at Friday noon 11/22 was indeed "Dead Man Walking" until the tables were flipped 30 minutes later.

Drew Pearson for decades had a vast platform of both newspaper and radio syndication.

This is in addition to Robert Kennedy feeding a LIFE magazine expose of LBJ due to be printed and mailed on 11/29/63 and 11/30/63 and a Robert Kennedy-fed Senate Rules Committee investigation that was literally taking testimony at the second a bullet is blowing open JFK's head in Dallas at 12:30PM Central time or 1:30PM Eastern.

http://lyndonjohnsonmurderedjfk.blogspot.com/2013/12/nationally-syndicated-journalist-drew.html

Philip Shenon:

"Johnson was in Pearson's crosshairs in the Baker story. That very Sunday- November 24- Pearson's column was due to target the vice president over his financial ties to the lobbyist. In his diary, Pearson wrote that it would be "quite a devastating story" involving Johnson, Baker, and possible corruption in a $7 billion fighter-jet contract handed to General Dynamics, a Texas firm."

You can read about the story here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6250

From my page on Drew Pearson.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USApearsonD.htm

In 1963 Senator John Williams of Delaware began investigating the activities of Bobby Baker. As a result of his work, Baker resigned as the secretary to Lyndon B. Johnson on 9th October, 1963. During his investigations Williams met Don B. Reynolds and persuaded him to appear before a secret session of the Senate Rules Committee.

Reynolds told B. Everett Jordan and his committee on 22nd November, 1963, that Johnson had demanded that he provided kickbacks in return for him agreeing to this life insurance policy. This included a $585 Magnavox stereo. Reynolds was also told by Walter Jenkins that he had to pay for $1,200 worth of advertising on KTBC, Johnson's television station in Austin. Reynolds had paperwork for this transaction including a delivery note that indicated the stereo had been sent to the home of Johnson.

Don B. Reynolds also told of seeing a suitcase full of money which Bobby Baker described as a "$100,000 payoff to Johnson for his role in securing the Fort Worth TFX contract". Reynolds also provided evidence againstMatthew H. McCloskey. He suggested that he given $25,000 to Baker in order to get the contract to build the District of Columbia Stadium. His testimony came to an end when news arrived that President John F. Kennedyhad been assassinated.

As soon as Johnson became president he contacted B. Everett Jordan to see if there was any chance of stopping this information being published. Jordan replied that he would do what he could but warned Johnson that some members of the committee wanted Reynold's testimony to be released to the public. On 6th December, 1963, Jordan spoke to Johnson on the telephone and said he was doing what he could to suppress the story because " it might spread (to) a place where we don't want it spread."

Abe Fortas, a lawyer who represented both Lyndon B. Johnson and Bobby Baker, worked behind the scenes in an effort to keep this information from the public. Johnson also arranged for a smear campaign to be organized against Reynolds. To help him do this J. Edgar Hoover passed to Johnson the FBI file on Reynolds.

On 17th January, 1964, the Committee on Rules and Administration voted to release to the public Reynolds' secret testimony. Johnson responded by leaking information from Reynolds' FBI file to Drew Pearson and Jack Anderson. On 5th February, 1964, the Washington Post reported that Reynolds had lied about his academic success at West Point. The article also claimed that Reynolds had been a supporter of Joseph McCarthy and had accused business rivals of being secret members of the American Communist Party. It was also revealed that Reynolds had made anti-Semitic remarks while in Berlin in 1953.

A few weeks later the New York Times reported that Lyndon B. Johnson had used information from secret government documents to smear Don B. Reynolds. It also reported that Johnson's officials had been applying pressure on the editors of newspapers not to print information that had been disclosed by Reynolds in front of the Senate Rules Committee.

In 1963 Senator John Williams of Delaware began investigating the activities of Bobby Baker. As a result of his work, Baker resigned as the secretary to Lyndon B. Johnson on 9th October, 1963. During his investigations Williams met Don B. Reynolds and persuaded him to appear before a secret session of the Senate Rules Committee.

Reynolds told B. Everett Jordan and his committee on 22nd November, 1963, that Johnson had demanded that he provided kickbacks in return for him agreeing to this life insurance policy. This included a $585 Magnavox stereo. Reynolds was also told by Walter Jenkins that he had to pay for $1,200 worth of advertising on KTBC, Johnson's television station in Austin. Reynolds had paperwork for this transaction including a delivery note that indicated the stereo had been sent to the home of Johnson.

Don B. Reynolds also told of seeing a suitcase full of money which Bobby Baker described as a "$100,000 payoff to Johnson for his role in securing the Fort Worth TFX contract". Reynolds also provided evidence againstMatthew H. McCloskey. He suggested that he given $25,000 to Baker in order to get the contract to build the District of Columbia Stadium. His testimony came to an end when news arrived that President John F. Kennedyhad been assassinated.

As soon as Johnson became president he contacted B. Everett Jordan to see if there was any chance of stopping this information being published. Jordan replied that he would do what he could but warned Johnson that some members of the committee wanted Reynold's testimony to be released to the public. On 6th December, 1963, Jordan spoke to Johnson on the telephone and said he was doing what he could to suppress the story because " it might spread (to) a place where we don't want it spread."

Abe Fortas, a lawyer who represented both Lyndon B. Johnson and Bobby Baker, worked behind the scenes in an effort to keep this information from the public. Johnson also arranged for a smear campaign to be organized against Reynolds. To help him do this J. Edgar Hoover passed to Johnson the FBI file on Reynolds.

On 17th January, 1964, the Committee on Rules and Administration voted to release to the public Reynolds' secret testimony. Johnson responded by leaking information from Reynolds' FBI file to Drew Pearson and Jack Anderson. On 5th February, 1964, the Washington Post reported that Reynolds had lied about his academic success at West Point. The article also claimed that Reynolds had been a supporter of Joseph McCarthy and had accused business rivals of being secret members of the American Communist Party. It was also revealed that Reynolds had made anti-Semitic remarks while in Berlin in 1953.

A few weeks later the New York Times reported that Lyndon B. Johnson had used information from secret government documents to smear Don B. Reynolds. It also reported that Johnson's officials had been applying pressure on the editors of newspapers not to print information that had been disclosed by Reynolds in front of the Senate Rules Committee.

Philip Shenon:

There's a whole other part of the story that few seem to realize. Pearson was not only writing the story; he'd warned Johnson about it, and was at the Dallas Airport en route to LBJ's ranch when the shooting occurred. That's right. Pearson was supposed to meet with LBJ that night.

Instead of doing a story on Johnson, then, he did a hatchet job on Don Reynolds.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1817&dat=19640205&id=7_ocAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_5oEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7539,637708

Coincidence?

In 1956 Drew Pearson began investigating the relationship between Lyndon B. Johnson and two businessmen, George R. Brown and Herman Brown. Pearson believed that Johnson had arranged for the Texas-based Brown and Root Construction Company to avoid large tax bills. Pearson's assistant, Jack Anderson, argued against this investigation and encouraged him to meet LBJ. As a result of the meeting LBJ offered Pearson a deal. If Pearson dropped his Brown-Root crusade, Johnson would support the presidential ambitions of Estes Kefauver. Pearson accepted and wrote in his diary (16th April, 1956): "This is the first time I've ever made a deal like this, and I feel a little unhappy about it. With the Presidency of the United States at stake, maybe it's justified, maybe not - I don't know."

Pearson was a supporter of LBJ in the race for the Democratic Party nomination in 1960. This is strange as up until this point Pearson had always supported the most liberal of the Democratic candidates.

Pearson and Anderson showed no interest in investigating the assassination of JFK in 1963 (Anderson only later became involved in the Mafia did it disinformation campaign). What is more, Pearson helped to smear Don Reynolds in 1964 when it was revealed that he was accusing LBJ of corruption.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USApearsonD.htm