The Education Forum

JFK Website

We are currently redesigning the Spartacus website. We are trying to make it easier for students to use. I would be interested in your comments on the existing plans and any ideas you have on how it could be improved. You can see and example of this with the entry for Ted Shackley.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKshackley.htm

We have made several changes. To help visitors reach the information they are looking for by including a menu at the top of the page. Do you think that works effectively?

Another innovation is the use of Twitter to post photographs that links with information that takes people to different parts of the website.

We have also introduced a carousal box in the side-bar where we can show a series of photographs and cartoons that will take people to other parts of the website. This is to emphasis the scale of the content that we have to offer. I have tried to select images that will attract attention. The danger is that these images will upset some people. For example, is it acceptable to show a man being lynched or a monk setting fire to himself in protest of the Vietnam War? I would be interested in your views on this matter.

We have also redesigned the home page. I like it because I have been involved in its development. However, that probably makes me blind to its faults.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/

I am especially interested in any views that would make the website more useable by students.

John - it looks great. I hope you don't mind my asking a question about Shackley, since you used his entry as an example. Daniel Sheehan claims that Shackley worked directly for Reinhardt Gehlen in Berlin for a decade, and was his translator when Gehlen was recruited by the OSS. I don't see this mentioned in your entry. Have you heard this before?

Looks great, John. I hope this means the forum will be here for a while....

John - it looks great. I hope you don't mind my asking a question about Shackley, since you used his entry as an example. Daniel Sheehan claims that Shackley worked directly for Reinhardt Gehlen in Berlin for a decade, and was his translator when Gehlen was recruited by the OSS. I don't see this mentioned in your entry. Have you heard this before?

Paul, no I didn't. I will check it out.

At a relatively quick glance, I noticed that your section on Donald Freed's book discusses Townley without telling the reader who Townley is, or what he did. I'll finish looking through it later today.