The Education Forum

LHO not a intelligence asset? Ok explain this...

I have an old note to myself that says that a Russian book was found among Oswald's effects with words cut out: Commission Exhibit 111.

Yes. The memo Stephen Roy provided the link for describes "a Russian book" amongst the material. The memo also lists the exhibit numbers of these materials but I don't think the WC exhibit numbers match the descriptions in the FBI memo. Maybe there is another set of exhibit numbers?

I like your link, very handy!

I found this at MFF, which makes reference to it:

http://www.maryferre...ecurity agency"

Thanks Stephen! That's great. The document seems to say that they entirely discount the theory (that the information missing is related to espionage) but are sending it to NSA - just in case! It even states they thought the clipper was just saving "words and letters" in a printed format. That almost sounds like they are suggesting writing a "ransom note" type message. It's very strange.

Looking at the investigative traffic in sequence, to get a read on what they were thinking and how they were following their investigative theories, it appears that, even though they theorized that Oswald acted alone, they couldn't ignore the hints of tradecraft in his background: postal boxes, false documentation and the like. The missing letters raised the possibility of some form of secret messaging or code, so they decided to run it past the department with the most expertise in the field. In some ways, he seems pretty straightforward but in other ways, you just have to wonder.