The Education Forum

Billy Sol Estes Documents

Roger: Thank you for your interest in this subject. I go into greater detail about these documents in my interview with Dark Journalist starting around minute 1:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jKBlJQNtek

In about a month I will be doing another interview with Dark Journalist in which I shall make further disclosures about LBJ and Billie Sol Estes. Time constraints prevented me from doing this in the first interview. Also I shall be disclosing information on the Watergate break-in never before made public.

Doug

When he testified under penalty of perjury before the Robertson County (TX) grand jury in 1984, which voted to change the official report of the death of U.S. Government employee Henry Marshall from suicide to homicide. In 1961 his death was listed as a suicide. Billie Sol Estes testified that Malcolm Wallace killed Henry Marshall.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Sol_Estes(emphasis mine):

Kennedy assassination allegations[edit]

Estes also alleged in the 1980s that he had inside knowledge that Johnson was involved in the assassination of Kennedy.[15][16] In 1984, he provided a voluntary statement to a Grand Jury in Texas alleging that the homicide of a key investigator in the Department of Agriculture case was perpetrated by an aide to Johnson, Malcolm Wallace, upon orders from the then-Vice President.[1] When the Department of Justice asked for more information, Estes responded that he would provide information on eight other murders ordered by Johnson, including the assassination of Kennedy, in exchange for immunity from prosecution and a pardon.[1] According to Estes, Johnson set up the assassination in order to become president.[1]They refused.

Estes reiterated the claim in a book he co-wrote with a French writer in 2003.[16][17] He said that he was not interested in writing the book – published only in France – but that he was offered "a few hundred thousand dollars" to contribute to it.[16] According to theAssociated Press, the allegation was "rejected by prominent historians, Johnson aides and family members."[17]

The Wikipedia entry is inaccurate.

Former FBI Associate Director Edward Miller and I had several meetings on this matter in1984 with Stephen Trott, Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. As a result Trott arranged with the Director of the FBI to have three FBI agents go into the Estes file and that of the Kennedy assassination to see if there was evidence that merited further investigation that could lead to a grant of immunity to Billie Sol. The three agents found that there was sufficient evidence to proceed. A meeting was arranged for the three agents to meet Billie Sol in Abilene. They flew from Washington, D.C. to Abilene for the meeting scheduled at a hotel in Abilene that had a atrium. I and my co-counsel, Brian Gettings, met Billie Sol, who was accompanied by his daughter, Pam, in the lobby. Billie Sol immediately made it quite clear that he was backing out of making any further disclosures and would not meet with the three agents (who were watching our meeting from above in the atrium.) I pointed out to Billie Sol that the Moody Foundation, U.S. Marshal Clint Peoples, Stephen Trott, the Justice Dept., the FBI and I had gone at great lengths to set up the Abilene meeting at his request. However, Billie Sol was adamant in his refusal to proceed and he and Pam departed after 15 minutes.

So it was Billie Sol who ultimately refused to tell what he knew. The U.S. Department of Justice was more than willing to hear what he had to say. But after he backed out, that ended both my interest and that of the Justice Department in pursuing the matter any further.

I later asked U.S Marshal Clint Peoples, who had known Billie Sol for 25 years, why Billie Sol backed out. He told me that it most likely Billie Sol had come to realize that going forward might have exposed one of Billie Sol's relatives to possible prosecution for his role in one of Billie Sol's nefarious criminal money schemes. It would have opened up a dangerous can of worms.

All this is recounted in my Dark Journalist interview.

You are, of course, welcome to continue believe the entry in Wikipedia that was written by someone who was not a participant in what occurred,

When he testified under penalty of perjury before the Robertson County (TX) grand jury in 1984, which voted to change the official report of the death of U.S. Government employee Henry Marshall from suicide to homicide. In 1961 his death was listed as a suicide. Billie Sol Estes testified that Malcolm Wallace killed Henry Marshall.

I happen to believe this testimony. You may know that Joan Mellen interviewed Billy sol several times and did not find him credible in the least. (Or so she told me back in the day before she began calling my dear friend Nathan Darby a xxxx. Agg. Perjury at that. ) I doubt we will ever speak again. I knew Nathan very well, he was in fact a neighbor but I did not know him til I met Jay Harrison. He was as honest a man as I have ever known.

There is a lot very fishy about Wallace's alleged death in 1971 too.

Doug Do you know anything about the tapes BSE said he had to prove his claims?

Yeah, I remember Wallace's death being sketchy, but don't recall the circumstances. What were the details surrounding Mac Wallace's demise? or should that be another thread?

Edited by Roger DeLaria

I imagine the Henry Marshall cause of death was changed because the coroner's verdict was patently wrong, not because of anything Billy Sol Estes said.

Billy Sol Estes may or may not have been rehabilitated by his time in prison. That's a judgment call.

For sure, he wanted consideration for ratting out LBJ and the other rats. He wanted a pardon for the crime(s) of which he had been convicted.

The reason I asked when he started to tell the whole truth is that I hoped someone would ask: and nothing but the truth?

Doug-

Thanks for the link and info, I'll check those out.

Would you recommend the book: Billy Sol: King of Texas Wheeler Dealers by Pam Estes? I was looking at getting a copy.

No, Roger, I would suggest you not spend the money to buy Pam's book. It was a great book when it was published, which was when Billie Sol was just months short of being released from prison. But it only told the Billie Sol story as seen by family members who suffered through his trials and incarcerations. Billie Sol had never told Pam anything of substance as to his criminal activities for obvious reasons. Pam's book caused was a minor news sensation and served to convince Billie Sol he should tell his story in his own book.

Pam was a delightful person, bright and always enjoyable to be around. She died from brain cancer just a few months after Billie Sol passed away in 2013. The family members of these people who commit crimes invariably suffer greatly.

Yeah, I remember Wallace's death being sketchy, but don't recall the circumstances. What were the details surrounding Mac Wallace's demise? or should that be another thread?

Mac Wallace died when his car ran off the road in 1971. Clint Peoples, the U.S. Marshal for the Northern District of Texas, also died when his car ran off the road in 1992. In the latter's case, there was a witness who saw a truck suddenly pull out from the side of the road to ambush People's car as it passed to force it to crash. Peoples had followed the LBJ and Billie Sol Estes criminal saga for decades, starting first as a Texas Ranger. When I told Peoples that I was working to get immunity for Billie Sol at his request to tell his story to the U.S. Justice Department, he said "It is about time that the truth comes out." Peoples was a great man.

http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKpeoples.htm

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Doug-

Thanks for the heads-up on the book. Is Billy Sol Estes: a Texas Legend the one you would recommend? I'll have to do some hunting, it doesn't appear to be readily available.

Malcolm Wallace's and Peoples' "accidents" seem to echo shades of Lee Bowers' one car accident out in the middle of nowhere. :ph34r:

I happen to believe this testimony. You may know that Joan Mellen interviewed Billy sol several times and did not find him credible in the least. (Or so she told me back in the day before she began calling my dear friend Nathan Darby a xxxx. Agg. Perjury at that. ) I doubt we will ever speak again. I knew Nathan very well, he was in fact a neighbor but I did not know him til I met Jay Harrison. He was as honest a man as I have ever known.

There is a lot very fishy about Wallace's alleged death in 1971 too.

Doug Do you know anything about the tapes BSE said he had to prove his claims?

There is a group in the JFK assassination community that claims exclusively to possess "the truth" about the JFK assassination. Members of this group reject anything involving Billie Sol Estes and some even reject LBJ having any role whatsoever in the assassination. Those of us who maintain otherwise are dismissed as being "the Texas mafia."

Joan is a highly respected professor and author and possesses great credibility. I eagerly await her book on LBJ, Billie Sol and Mac Wallace due to be published in September. However, I tend to think that she approached the subject with a bias against Billie Sol.The last time that I was in communication with Joan she reached out to thank me for something that I had said or provided her in her research on her book that was a "break-through" of some sort. I had answered all questions that she posed to me to the best of my ability and recollection.

I do believe the tapes existed at one time and may still. The reason for this is that when Billie Sol in 1984 came through Houston on his way to Galveston we shared a cup of coffee. He introduced me to a young man about 30 years of age, an employee of Brown & Root, who accompanied him on his trip. The young man volunteered that he had listened to the tapes.