The Education Forum

Oswald correlation handwriting and behavior

I don't know, maybe this has been done before, and I don't want to re-invent the wheel, but do you know if anyone had done a correlation study between the person signing Oswald's name and the behavior of the person doing the signing at the time?

Handwriting experts claimed that in all times, various documents that bore the signature of Lee Harvey Oswald were signed by the same person.

Below are examples of L.H.O's signatures.

1) Application to the Cosmos Shipping Co., New Orleans dated 8/6/63 WC Exhibit 774 (17H)
2) Affidavit of Support addressed to American Embassy dated 1/17/62 WC Exhibit 775(17H)
3) Application for a New Orleans Public Library Card WC Exhibit 777 (17H)
4) Application to the A.C.L.U. WC Exhibit 783 (17H)
5) Application for P.O. Box 2915 dated 10/9/62 WC Exhibit 792 (17H)
6) Change of Address card for P.O. Box 2915 dated 5/12/63 WC Exhibit 794 (17H)

I personally think that there is a difference in the transition from the O to the s in the word Oswald.

In John Armstrong's analysis of the Harvey and Lee story, a picture emerges of two Oswald's: one kind, respectful, and gentle with kids. The other: belligerent, truculent, and obnoxious.

Steve Thomas

In John Armstrong's analysis of the Harvey and Lee story, a picture emerges of two Oswald's: one kind, respectful, and gentle with kids. The other: belligerent, truculent, and obnoxious.

Steve Thomas

Hi, Steve,

Interesting idea, but I’m not sure where your description of the two Oswalds’ character distinctions comes from. The accusations of wife beating were made by Marina against the man John identifies as Russian-speaking HARVEY Oswald. John also writes this on page 412 of Harvey and Lee.

There was never a single indication that Lee Harvey Oswald harmed or abused

Marina in the Soviet Union. Nor was there an indication that he harmed or abused her

at Robert Oswald's house or "Marguerite Oswald's" apartment in Fort Worth in the

summer of 1962. But soon after the young couple moved into the apartment on

Mercedes Street, and were alone, Marina began to complain that her husband was beating

her.

Unless you have found something in Harvey and Lee that I’m forgetting (it ain’t easy to remember everything in a book that takes up more than a thousand pages just for the text), I’d like to clarify what John (and I) believe about the two young men.

Russian-speaking HARVEY Oswald was about 5’8” tall, didn’t drink, was fastidious, quiet and withdrawn, and somewhat of a loner. American-born LEE Oswald was about 5’10” tall, sometimes drank to excess, was sexually active enough in the Marine Corps to acquire a venereal disease, not as neat and fastidious as Harvey, and more outgoing and boisterous.

Laura Kittrell of the Texas Employment Commission interviewed both Oswalds and described their differences to the HSCA and in a long handwritten document. A summary of her observations can be read here.

Good luck with the handwriting analysis. The HSCA devoted much of an entire volume (I can’t remember the number) to trying to prove there was just one Oswald, using handwriting experts, fingerprints and that sort of thing. But on page 243 of Robert Groden’s The Search for Lee Harvey Oswald, he presents a page of Oswald signatures from the National Archives. Although some look clearly similar, others are obviously quite different.

Again, good luck with this. I don’t know of anyone other than WC loyalists who have attempted this.

CAPA is organizing a two-day mock trial in November 2017 at the South Texas College of Law where we will be examining all of the forensic evidence used to tie Lee Oswald to the assassination. if you know of any handwriting experts (or for that matter any forensic experts in toolmarks, fingerprints, etc), we would be happy to contact them to see if they'd be interested participating in the mock trial. Robert Tanenbaum will be leading the defense team.

Larry

Steve Thomas

Hi, Steve,

Interesting idea, but I’m not sure where your description of the two Oswalds’ character distinctions comes from.

Jim,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I have read Harvey and Lee. I've read excerpts from it over the years, but not the whole work itself.

The descriptions I mention come from a variety of places.

These are from WC testimonies:

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/wit.htm

Mr. WOOD. (Sterling Wood. 13 year old son of Homer Wood)

“The man out at the rifle range had a mean, stern face. You could tell he was a cold man, and that is what made me look at him more than I did anybody else. So when I saw the picture on television that night, I was sure it was him.”

Mr. PIZZO. (sales manager at the Lincoln Mercury dealership where “Oswald” took a test drive)

“Me too. So, I kind of said, "Are you kidding us or what? You either have his name or you don't." He said, "Well, Frank, don't you remember?" I said, "I don't remember." He said "I brought him to your office and you said he needed $200 or $300 down, and I said, "Yes, I guess I remember." He said, "Well, you should remember because when I took that man for a ride he drove like a wild man, and besides we had Gene Wilson's car and Gene got mad because we used up all his gas." He said, "He drove so fast, he scared. the daylights out of me. Don't you remember me coming back and saying how mad I was?"

FBI Report of an interview with Dobbs House waitress Mary Dowling:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=11759&relPageId=3&search=Mary_Dowling

“ He was nasty and used curse words in connection with his order” (on November 20, 1963)

The Kittrell interview you cited.

I contrast this with the man who left money with Marina and told her to make sure to get the baby (June) some new shoes, and the man Buell Wesley Frazier described as enjoying playing with the children on the front lawn.

My thought is this:

If you are going to set somebody up to take the fall, as Joseph Milteer told Willie Sommersett, and that "slouchy, unkempt"

"nasty, curseword-using," "wild" man" is impersonating Oswald, are there occasions when that person signed Oswald's name, and what does that signature look like?

Steve Thomas