The Education Forum

Speedy Johnson

Greg Parker

Greg,

Mr. HUBERT. What you could gather, Ruby was in favor of what the sign

advocated?

Mr. JOHNSON. Yes; that, and the ad in the paper and what had happened the day

before.

Mr. HUBERT. Did he agree with the ad in the paper?

Mr. JOHNSON. Yes, sir.[/color]

Speedy Johnson met Ruby in Sol's Turf Bar located at 1515 Commerce St. in Dallas.

For the longest time, I wondered if Sol's Turf Bar was where Larry Schmidt and Bernard Weissman wound up on Friday afternoon and spent the next four hours.

From the WC testimony of Bernard Weissman:

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/weissma1.htm

Weissman said that the Ducharme was about a 20 minute walk from downtown Dallas. At 3 miles an hour, that would be just about a mile.

And, at this time---we were going to go to the Ducharme Club through downtown Dallas. We were heading for the area about two blocks adjacent to the Houston Street viaduct. And then we heard about the police pulling all sorts of people somebody said they saw somebody and gave a description. And the police were pulling people off the street and so forth. So Bill and I didn't want to get involved in this. So we took a roundabout route. We got lost for a while. Anyway, we finally wound up at the other side of Dallas, and we were at the Ducharme Club.

Mr. JENNER. When you arrived there, was Mr. Schmidt there?

Mr. WEISSMAN. He was waiting for me. But Joe Grinnan wasn't there.

So we went to another bar--I don't remember the name of it--the Ducharme Club was closed, by the way, that afternoon.

Mr. JENNER. When you reached the Ducharme Club, it was closed, but you found Mr. Schmidt there?

Mr. WEISSMAN. Larrie was waiting on the corner. He got in the car. We sat and talked for a few minutes. We went to another bar a few blocks away.

After 4 hours in the bar, Bill and I went back to the apartment, and Larrie went to the Ducharme Club. He was afraid to go home.

Mr. JENNER. I thought the Ducharme Club was closed.

Mr. WEISSMAN. It was open at that time. We drove by. It was open. Larrie went in.

So far, I have not been able to find any evidence that it was Sol's they went to and since the WC did not interview Larry Schmidt or Joe Grinnan, I guess we'll never know which bar it was.

Steve Thomas

Greg,

My aplogies if this gets posted twice. For some reason my original post did not show up on the main board.

Greg,

Mr. HUBERT. What you could gather, Ruby was in favor of what the sign

advocated?

Mr. JOHNSON. Yes; that, and the ad in the paper and what had happened the day

before.

Mr. HUBERT. Did he agree with the ad in the paper?

Mr. JOHNSON. Yes, sir.[/color]

Speedy Johnson met Ruby in Sol's Turf Bar located at 1515 Commerce St. in Dallas.

For the longest time, I wondered if Sol's Turf Bar was where Larry Schmidt and Bernard Weissman wound up on Friday afternoon and spent the next four hours.

From the WC testimony of Bernard Weissman:

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/weissma1.htm

Weissman said that the Ducharme was about a 20 minute walk from downtown Dallas. At 3 miles an hour, that would be just about a mile.

And, at this time---we were going to go to the Ducharme Club through downtown Dallas. We were heading for the area about two blocks adjacent to the Houston Street viaduct. And then we heard about the police pulling all sorts of people somebody said they saw somebody and gave a description. And the police were pulling people off the street and so forth. So Bill and I didn't want to get involved in this. So we took a roundabout route. We got lost for a while. Anyway, we finally wound up at the other side of Dallas, and we were at the Ducharme Club.

Mr. JENNER. When you arrived there, was Mr. Schmidt there?

Mr. WEISSMAN. He was waiting for me. But Joe Grinnan wasn't there.

So we went to another bar--I don't remember the name of it--the Ducharme Club was closed, by the way, that afternoon.

Mr. JENNER. When you reached the Ducharme Club, it was closed, but you found Mr. Schmidt there?

Mr. WEISSMAN. Larrie was waiting on the corner. He got in the car. We sat and talked for a few minutes. We went to another bar a few blocks away.

After 4 hours in the bar, Bill and I went back to the apartment, and Larrie went to the Ducharme Club. He was afraid to go home.

Mr. JENNER. I thought the Ducharme Club was closed.

Mr. WEISSMAN. It was open at that time. We drove by. It was open. Larrie went in.

So far, I have not been able to find any evidence that it was Sol's they went to and since the WC did not interview Larry Schmidt or Joe Grinnan, I guess we'll never know which bar it was.

Steve Thomas

Greg,

Another thought: Ruby was advertising for partners in a new club. The guys of CUSA were looking for a club to buy...

Was it William Duff who told the FBI that Ruby often went to General Walker's where Larry Schmidt's brother had a job?

Steve Thomas