The Education Forum

James Leavelle took notes of "Oswald's" interrogation?

In a recently published interview with Russ Baker of "Who, What and Why", retired Dallas Police Detective James Leavelle claimed that, contrary to his 1964 Warren Commission testimony, he, Leavelle did indeed take contemporaneous notes during an interrogation of "Oswald"!

Further, Leavelle claimed that other members of the DPD did as well!

Finally of note, Leavelle and Jack Ruby had known each other for years before 1963.

Russ Baker wrote that "Leavelle said he knew Ruby dating back to his first days on the force — when, as a patrolman, his beat included the Dallas neighborhood of Oak Cliff. Ruby at that time owned a nightclub (Leavelle called it “a dance hall”) in Oak Cliff, and interacted with Leavelle on many occasions. 

“They put out an order that all those places would close at midnight,” Leavelle said. “I went in and talked to him and got to know him pretty well. He promised to shut at midnight, and he kept his word.”

Significantly, Leavelle said that Ruby — who two years after his arrest would claim that a conspiracy surrounded Oswald’s, and perhaps Kennedy’s, death — was reliable.

He was the best I had,” Leavelle said, comparing Ruby to the myriad proprietors on his beat. “I don’t think he ever lied to me.”

Relationships between law enforcement and those on the seamier side of the track were notably informal in those days."

Leavelle's statement "I don't think he (Ruby) ever lied to me" would seem to imply that Ruby was some sort of confidential source of information for Leavelle.

Is it possible that Leavelle's interrogation notes may yet exist somewhere deep in the heart of Texas?

https://whowhatwhy.org/2019/11/21/jfk-assassin-death-scene-witness-exclusive-interview/

Interesting.  Cops are trained to make notes after interrogations are they not?  Have we been fed a line of BS for all these years regarding very limited notes of Oswald's interrogations?  Wouldn't surprise me.  

Leavelle was full of it. Not even Fritz took notes. During the first interrogation it was only Hosty.

And Leavelle was only present during the 7th and final interrogation, unlike his claim he interrogated Oswald  before Fritz.

Leavelle said this himself during his WC testimony. And his report makes no mention on any interrogating at all on the 22nd or 23rd.

As bogus as anything claimed by Brian Doyle.

I refer to my paper Anatomy Of Lee Harvey Oswald's Interrogations. Pages 30-37.

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Interesting.  Cops are trained to make notes after interrogations are they not?  Have we been fed a line of BS for all these years regarding very limited notes of Oswald's interrogations?  Wouldn't surprise me.  

I agree, Ron. Leavelle's notes disappeared because they conflicted with the emerging "no conspiracy" narrative in the mainstream media and from the FBI. Remember that Jesse Curry was much more circumspect about the possibility of conspiracy when asked. Curry implied that the Dallas Police had NOT ruled out help for "Oswald", but the national press (the NYT, the New York Herald Tribune, etc.) were insisting on the "Oswald did it all by himself and he was a nut" scenario!

Even J. Edgar Hoover admitted in a phone call to LBJ on 11/23/63 that "the evidence against this man ("Oswald") is not very good." 

Of course, as soon as Jack Ruby murdered "Oswald" that all changed. Now Hoover was certain that the case against "Oswald" was sound - never mind that the murder of the chief suspect should have forced a total reconsideration of the case against him! Nope, now that "Oswald" was dead, why J. Edgar Hoover could now close the books and declare to the world that "Oswald" did it all by himself, just as the national media had been loudly proclaiming for almost 48 hours!

4 minutes ago, Bart Kamp said:

Leavelle was full of it. Not even Fritz took notes. During the first interrogation it was only Hosty.

And Leavelle was only present during the 7th and final interrogation, unlike his claim he interrogated Oswald  before Fritz.

Leavelle said this himself during his WC testimony. And his report makes no mention on any interrogating at all on the 22nd or 23rd.

As bogus as anything claimed by Brian Doyle.

I refer to my paper Anatomy Of Lee Harvey Oswald's Interrogations. Pages 30-37.

Thanks, Bart. I agree that Leavelle's WC testimony and his report make no mention of any interrogation notes. Since Leavelle was a staunch believer (at least publicly) in "Oswald's" guilt, why would he open that speculative door by asserting decades later that he did indeed take notes? 

I am not insisting that he did. I am just curious why he would state that if it was total baloney.

On a separate note, what do you make of Leavelle's insinuation that Jack Ruby was a regular contact (source?) for Leavelle?

On a separate note, what do you make of Leavelle's insinuation that Jack Ruby was a regular contact (source?) for Leavelle?

All I know is that Ruby was known to a lot more cops than they admitted when confronted by it.